Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Gas mileage.

Pretty sure something's amiss with mine too, on a good day with a tail wind, i can get 13 hwy. average 9-11... Same size tires as stocks, 94 XLT 4x4. The fuel pump whines when it warms up, but it gets gas, it's slow to accelerate. (like, foot down to the floor takes about 30-40 seconds to get to...
  2. G

Odd almost overheat issues

Yes, water pump got rid of that noise, i'm going to disect the old pump today and see if i can find where it was rubbing... will post pix as soon as i get to it.
  3. G

Well, i changed one thing at a time today just to find out what it was... Started with the water pump, same deal, put the rad cap on, same deal, put a new t-stat in... BINGO. The old one had somehow shifted so that it would only open about 1/4 the way. So, $100 to find out it was a $6 problem...
  4. G

another question is, i have had the "dancing temp" gauge for a while now, is that cured with a water pump, or a new sending unit? I've searched but it'd seem that those who've figured it out, never post the answer... :/
  5. G

Thanks everyone, seeing as how it's new years eve, on a sunday, it'll have to sit until tuesday when the parts shops open again. The radiator was replaced 2 years ago due to the infamous radiator rot. But, i'm pretty sure they didn't flush the block, so i'm sure there's gunk in there now...
  6. G

Braintrust, I've got a 94 XLT automatic with 146k on the clock that just started showing signs that something is wrong as far as cooling goes. I'm not quite sure what it could be, hopefully y'all could point me down a road... (i'm not rich, but i also don't have money to buy a new vehicle, so...
  7. G

Speedometer fluctuating & clicking

I thought the 94's used a speed sensor and it's all computer controlled? Mine has done that a few times, either the stereo was up really loud draining the alternator, or i was going down a really low maintenance road. Other than that, it doesn't do it.
  8. G

Where can i find....?

Your setup sounds fine. New alt and adding caps will take the strain off the alt. 1 farad per amp is a good start, when you build (if you build) an amp rack, leave room to add more caps in series. If you move to bigger amps, the additional caps will definately help out. Batcaps are... well...
  9. G

losing coolant

Mine was leaking out of the thermostat neck. Not really an easy place to see, on my 94 anyways, **** in the way.
  10. G

Where can i find....?

Caps come in a variety of flavors. True Batcaps are worth their weight in gold. Equivalent to 300Farad cap. But if you only need a few, i'd get a few .5-1.0 farad caps per amp, string them in series. Far be it from me to recomend audiobahn but they do have the cheapest priced caps, and it's the...
  11. G

1st gen X info

I think i'll resurect and throw another wrench into the mix... My 94 has the "tow package" with 3.27 open gears, throwing star rims, 2 cup holders with the coin holder, leather, power everything, premium sound, and the drawtite hitch. My rear hatch also has the black sides by the glass...
  12. G

Where can i find....?

The JBL amp is readily available damn near anywhere. Ebay for one... about $200. I personally like these amps more. Crown Audio designed the guts... (For those who don't know who Crown is, they make amps for concert soundstages)...
  13. G

New carputer in-progress.

I've been designing one for a few months now. I'm making a custom console over the tranny hump to hide the motherboard and such... I'm still torn on the screen though. I've thought about a in-dash motorized touchscreen or a regular lilliput fiberglassed into the new center console. Price...
  14. G

Factory alarm on 94

No i cannot pop the glass or rear hatch with it, but i've thought about adding that... it's only $300 kit that people use for shaved door handles... :/ (i think it'll only do hatch and not glass, but i could see it doing the glass, just have to hide it in the rear hatch somewhere...)
  15. G

Which deal is better???

Simple. Neither. Sony doesn't make good car audio in any part. Audiobahn subs are more bling than they are quality. Put the money into something good that can't die. Look for JBL (my favorite), eclipse, or infinity's. Same for amps, no speaker sounds good with a ****ass amp behind it. Get...
  16. G

Factory alarm on 94

My 94 XLT has the "Anti-Theft" system with keyless entry. The fobs are all over ebay for 20 bucks a pair. It's just a passive device, so breaking a window won't set it off, but opening a door will. Go figure. Also, mine has a silly "feature" that newer VW's have... If you lock and arm with the...
  17. G

92 XLT 4x4 No Acceloration, Bad MPG, and disapearing coolant 11/6/05

In my reent experience, that doesn't mean anything. I was being told head gaskets on mine too... Guess what it ended up being... THE DAMN HOSE CLAMP BY THE T-STAT. Ford used these craptastic hose clamps that lose their tension after 10 or so years. The coolant would leak out when it was cold...
  18. G

Keep it or get rid of it

I have full on my 94, mostly because i'm putting the girl through college and have piss credit so buying a new vehicle for me is pretty agonizing. (ie. cash up front) The diffrence for me was $200/6mo. Where the hell are you people who get 200 dollar deductables and less than 1000/6mo? I pay...
  19. G

looking towards an in-dash monitor

The Kenwood 7x series is good double-din monitor with dvd/5.1 built in. Only about $1400. Then again i'm biased, Kenwood or pioneer 4 life! (even directed monitors aren't as clear as the kenwood and the DEI's carry a 80% more markup)
  20. G

Bypassing rear abs on a '91?

You have a 91 with REAR ABS? My 94 only has Front ABS... How did you do that trick?
  21. G

What length Pushrod in the 1991 OHV?

You can get new heads on Ebay for like 250... Pretty cheap. I guess the pre-93 heads had a tendancy to crack...
  22. G

electric superchargers

you got suckered on the resistor too! they're 20 cents for a pack of 50 at my electronics store. :)
  23. G

Used '93 explorer dead after 5 days of purchasing

Your word against theirs if it's not in writing anywhere. Exempt means that they no longer are required to report the odo readings to the DMV. I've got a 94, and it's got 116k or so on it, but unless grandpa owned it, and never drove it, i'm pretty sure it's 200k.
  24. G

Chart of routine maintenance?

other post said his X didn't come with any books... Do you know how to use Excel? Just make a spreadsheet of common things, oil changes, radiator fills, major surgery, of who/when/where/why/etc. That's how i track mine. Works pretty well, only thing that sucks is the ammount of paper i print...
  25. G

Used '93 explorer dead after 5 days of purchasing

Here in MN if the vehicle is over 10yrs old it's odo exempt and they just put in the base value instead. Carfax should show you progressively what the mileage was, but if it only had 1 owner, and a dealership has to report it when they buy it, you should have 2 refrences on carfax. Then again...
Back