Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

What's behind loss of power?

I hope you are right. Is there a definitive way to test for it? How big a is a fuel pump job? Interestingly, CEL is off.
  2. P

What's behind loss of power?

My 98 Explorer XLT has developed a symptom. It feels "out of breath", meaning it doesn't accelerate well and can barely get above 60mph even if you floor it. Then there is the booming sound when you open the throttle. Sounds suspiciously like muffler noise. The engine is also rough at idle...
  3. P

Low on power, rough, noisy

I 've had the truck for many years so I know how it should run ('98, 175k). It's low on power. You smash the throttle and it struggles, with the rpm never going above 2 -3K. The idle is rough and there is noticeable noise coming from the top of the engine, above the intake. Feels like a miss. No...
  4. P

Can't program two remotes at once

We've had the seatbelt chime for at least 20 years now. Gotten used to it. At least we don't have the dreaded ignition interlock switch (who remembers THAT?)
  5. P

In the category of what were they thinking of, why EIGHT times? And God forbid if you don't make it under 10 seconds.
  6. P

Thanks. It makes sense.
  7. P

I have two door lock remotes. Looks like I can program only one remote at a time. As soon as I set one up, the other one stops working. Is there a way out of this?
  8. P

Lost key. What are my options?

I agree. I have never lost a car key. I know it is somewhere in the house and I have a sneaky suspicion how it was "lost". Somebody moved it to keep things tidy.
  9. P

Lost key. What are my options?

I can't find my ignition key for my 98 Explorer XLT. I managed to open the door using the keypad. I do not have a spare key to make a copy. Called the local Ford dealer today and they said I am out of luck because Ford does not make spare keys beyond 10 years. So, what do I do? The same parts...
  10. P

Where is the most likely spot for an exhaust leak?

I have noticed the sound of an exhaust leak generally coming from the front. Where is the most likely source? For all I know it could be the original muffler (1998, 173,000 miles). Could they last that long?
  11. P

Ready for Snow!

In that case I have to correct my avatar information. So how does this "automatic" 4WD work? Do all 4 wheels kick in? I have a Dodge Dakota too and when I manually switch to 4WD I don't get full engagement in all 4s. Just the right front and left rear at the same time. To me anything short of...
  12. P

Ready for Snow!

My son dropped off his Optima and picked up the Explorer. He needed to get going at 5am and later said he would have never made it without it. My other son has a 2014 RAV4 and the all wheel drive leaves a lot to be desired. Easily got stock in his parking lot. Never got all wheels going. Those...
  13. P

Wiper blade size: 18 or 20?

20s fit just fine on mine.
  14. P

Wiper blade size: 18 or 20?

For the 98 Explorer XLT, the book says 18" but when I went to change them I realized what I have on are 20". 18" seemed short so I went with 20". Are the stock wiper blades really 18''?
  15. P

Grinding noise you can feel in the seat

They are Goodyear Wranglers on all four corners. The hum is completely gone but I have noticed the ride is a bit rougher going over dips an bumps. The shocks are Monroes but I don't know what model. I could have brought my own shocks but I couldn't hold them up while I went shopping.
  16. P

Perhaps, but rear ones had barely 5000 miles on them, if that. I wasn't about to throw away almost new tires. How does it affect anything?
  17. P

Took the truck in and the mechanic correctly identified the noise coming from the front tires. They were cupped. Said needed new shocks, and tires of course. Shocks were original (from 98 and after 170,000+ miles). $850 later (two tires and 4 shocks) problem solved. I know, I should have done it...
  18. P

I wonder if there is a definitive way to know for sure. I should mention that it is one of those things that nobody else notices but me. If it doesn't get worse I'll live with it.
  19. P

You might be on to something. A while back I had the transfer case fluid checked and it was pretty low so I had it topped off. Would a low fluid level make it sound like that? It hasn't been that long. How likely is it for gears to break?
  20. P

This is something new. When just rolling, as in a few mph, I hear and feel this grinding noise that goes up and down. It is like off for half a turn of the wheels and on for other half. At speed it increases to a steady hum. Not sure if it is gear whine or brake rotors or what.
  21. P

How many Gen IIs do you see a day?

I guess I am lucky. The only rust I have is on the rear right fender. Is it normal?
  22. P

Were a lot of them turned in during the C4C fiasco? That’s the conventional wisdom.
  23. P

I saw 2 today. Sometimes 3. Many days none. I think on average is perhaps less than one a day.
  24. P

coolent temp running cool?

For almost a year my temp gauge stood at 1/4. I had plenty of heat in the winter and had a coolant temp of 185. I thought 185 should be enough to move the gauge higher but it didn’t. Had to replace the thermostat housing for a leak and the the replacement came with its own thermostat and...
Back