Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Differential swap

I dont mind replacing the wheel bearings if I could get more than 20k/2 years out of the fronts.
  2. S

Differential swap

Just an update: I finally got the rear diff rebuilt by a local shop. They did a great job and this got rid of the gear whine at 25-35mph. Since the growl is still present, they offered to look into the bearing problem to see which one it was. I'm so over this :(
  3. S

Differential swap

Thank you again. Will check them out as well. I'm not as spirited as other drivers and I drove an 89 mustang with a burned out LS. Im used to the one-wheel-peel club so the loss of the LS is not insane critical.
  4. S

Differential swap

Looks like used Limited Slip is in short supply... :( Might just have to talk to the one of the local off-road shops. That or carry it half-way across the state to get it rebuilt. If I have to, I will rebuild my self. Time and weather is my current enemy. I dont get sick/vacation leave.
  5. S

Differential swap

Thanks! LKQ does not have any with LS, so this is why I was asking if I could use the RSC types. I am no stranger to swapping those silly seals. So apparently buying through local store is bad. 500$ markup.... OUCH. Thanks for the info. I think I'll give zumbrota a call.
  6. S

Differential swap

Looking to rebuild my D4 8.8 with LSD, however the only thing I can find an abundance of is 3.73's without Limited Slip. I went on LKQ's used parts store and all they have listed are ones with "Roll Stabilizer Control". I'm assuming these were yanked off of the V8's? I can still use these so...
  7. S

RPM Surge under light throttle

Well, I seem to have resolved this partially. I replaced all four O2 sensors, EGR sensor and valve assembly, and Pedal sensor. It is by no means anywhere near as bad, but now I have other problems to deal with. *sighs* car ownership...
  8. S

2002 Ford explorer xkt hazard flashers won't flash

The relay may have gone bad. Especially if the lights flash once or twice, or come on but do not cycle. I can only recommend youtube vids to the process of change-out as there are numerous. Not all require the same removal technique, but it does involve a bit of good grip and contortion to pull...
  9. S

RPM Surge under light throttle

So.... For a long time my 04 XLT 4L has had this weird RPM problem where when parked, I can gently tap the throttle and it the RPM will increase, but it will then immediately reduce the RPM and almost stall. In some cases it does, others it will "bounce" the RPM two or three times until its...
  10. S

Alarm went off last night

I have an F150 and an Explorer. Both 2004. Thankfully nothing important is stored in these cars and the F150 only lost a window on the shell back in December. Last night the alarm went off on the explorer at 4AM. After investigating I saw no sign of entry or damage; however we were on high...
  11. S

Looking to get a replacement

Guys, while I like my 04 exploder, I'm getting pretty bent out of shape fixing it. When I bought this used, I drove 10mi/day tops. Now I commute to work and its killing it putting 50mi/day on it. So I have the 4L v6 4x4. It now has 195k Mi on it and I still owe $4k on it. Although the engine...
  12. S

Rear Wheel Hubs/Bearings

That is the same guide I followed. However, mine still shakes up a storm on the interstate. Perhaps when I went over the curb at costco did more damage than I thought.
  13. S

High speed hijinx

Interesting. But why does it not do it at higher speeds and at (and i will quote) "perfect alignment".
  14. S

High speed hijinx

Will do. But just had state inspection done. They usually walk around and tug those pretty hard.
  15. S

High speed hijinx

Took to local Ford dealer and had the tech give it a once over. The noise was the axle bearings. So, I just ripped all of the bearings off and put on a fresh batch of NAPA SKF's. The deafening roar is completely gone! Now I have wheel shake and its continuing to get worse. Had tires balanced...
  16. S

Rear Wheel Hubs/Bearings

I just put in SKF's. This job is a freaking impossible without a 20T hydraulic press.
  17. S

High speed hijinx

So during late summer last year, my 04 had developed a differential howl. It went away as I took my foot off the gas. Became unemployed for several months and I should have done it then, but I'm kicking my self now for not fixing that then. My job interviews in Columbia MD, and Raleigh NC...
  18. S

Defrost making things worse

Guess what happened today.... The door fell out again... I cut up a towel and stuffed it in the inlet port. Pulled the flapper out. :mad: About scared me into a wreck when it happened. It hit with a thud. Thought I ran over something in the road. Apparently I cannot upload images. :( Need...
  19. S

Ouch :( They dont make them like they used to.
  20. S

Ooof! A tinker and a project a house is :( Yeah, the recirculation is not on all vehicles. Hell my 89 mustang had one. I'd love to pay someone to fix this, but frankly the original v6 engine is now at 192k miles. I bought it with 170k last year (work commutes suck!). I may have to look at...
  21. S

What I'd like is a re-circulation switch to close off the outside air if I want it to. Only time I get re-circulated air, is MAX A/C and Defrost. All the other times I'm sucking in every one else's smoke. Zero control and removing the vac line from that solenoid forces fresh air.
  22. S

That drain is likely going to require a dash pull. Hence why I wanted to do this to start with but nature had other plans that day. I've noticed that the compressor apparently will not cycle (Only does it once) if the outside temp is below 50 and the engine is cold. This same behavior is...
  23. S

Sorry if I am not super descriptive. I messed up my shoulder and have been out of things for a while. I removed the passenger seat to give me a better place to work. You will have to pull a lot of screws out. 8mm if I recall. I had to remove the blower and associated gear from the bottom...
  24. S

4.0L sounds like a diesel

Hah, yeah. It did. But the firmware update fixed a lot of other problems at least. Doesnt take 15 seconds to go into gear. I am not afraid of slinging wrenches. Did it for many years on my 89 5.0. My problems are the lack of equipment to pull the engine, and a safe facility. My medication...
  25. S

4.0L sounds like a diesel

So i took it to the stealership. They heard it. Their response was "you need tensioners". I showed him the logbook, his response was "i know that tech! And he replaced them?". It was followed by, "man you need to get those fixed quick". Question, since the vehicle was sold as-is, could i make...
Back