Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Rear bumper bent down from rear end collision.

Pictures might help the opinion here, but I doubt you can bend back the brackets. Replace the brackets, and the bumper of necessary, using parts from salvage. Good luck and be safe.
  2. M

Hello there 👋

Welcome! You are in the right the right place for Ex wisdom, for sure.
  3. M

Autolite HT1 Spark Plugs

Did you replace spark plug wires with the spark plugs? How old are your spark plug wires? Good luck with this project.
  4. M

Why is my front driveshaft CV joint smoking?

Agree with @dvdswan … Still sounds like u-joint problem. Lack of grease immediately comes to mind, as well as the “Dorman” brand. I believe that you could stand all your brakes all day while your drive, creating substantial resistance, and still not fry that u-joint. You should be able to...
  5. M

I took out the center console in my 1999 Ford explorer will my heater still work?

The center console has a duct and a fan that “heats” the rear passengers in the truck. Without the center console, this system will not work. In my opinion, this rear heat system is just fancy, and removal should not be a problem. The front dash heater system should still work. Good luck...
  6. M

Any suggestions/personal experiences with life expectancy?

Don’t think that changing functional 25 year old Ford parts with aftermarket parts is doing your truck any favors. When I was a kid, aftermarket parts were considered superior. But now, they are often just junk. The biggest single issue I have with keeping this old truck running is cheap...
  7. M

Any suggestions/personal experiences with life expectancy?

Change oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles. Cheap way to protect engine as effectively as possible, Good luck, and drive safe.
  8. M

Can't find correct fuel pressure regulator

I went through this…. First, make sure you have a fuel pressure gauge, because just watching fuel squirt out of the shraeder valve on the fuel rail is not an accurate way to monitor fuel pressure. Then, if you are still getting quick bleed down of fuel pressure, problem could be the cheap...
  9. M

SOHC engine cover bolt size?

This thread seems to explain it fairly well. Just get some self tapping screws at a hardware store. Maybe match the cruise control cable fastener. My intake manifold stripped out, so I just set the cover in place. No problem with that, and I think the cover is just decorative. Good luck.
  10. M

1999 4.0 OHV dipstick tube oring

Generic o-ring. Try Viton o-rings, as they are resistant to petroleum. For size, you can find assortments at Harbor Freight, Home Depot, auto parts stores. Or go to Ace Hardware with the dipstick and find one that fits. Good luck!
  11. M

Was ready to replace heater core but discovered it was not the leak point

Well… you were fortunate! Must be living right.
  12. M

Please help identify this part! (Pics)

Should not be a major issue, especially if you were not in deep water. Just reconnect.
  13. M

Merry Christmas Eve

Merry Christmas Eve to everyone on this Forum. Hope you all are warm and safe! Peace and joy.
  14. M

97 explorer RAP module 20a fuse keeps popping

Probably not…. My thought was that the module controls so many functions, and that you could remove each of the items one at a time, Maybe this is not realistic or practical.
  15. M

97 explorer RAP module 20a fuse keeps popping

Maybe you could disconnect each of the Rap inputs, one at a time. Leave each disconnected until you are sure that it did NOT solve the problem. If disconnecting one input does not solve the problem, reconnect that input, and disconnect another input. Hopefully, disconnecting one of the...
  16. M

Looking for opinions on this rotor

Have you looked at the prices of rotors? They may not be as expensive as you think. Just an idea…
  17. M

How to replace power steering pump?

Have you looked at changing your fluid? The fluid in mine turned to something that looked sort of like grease, and fluid change resolved chattering and general performance… Good luck.
  18. M

Snow Chain questions...

I spend the Winters in Colorado, up and down the mountains, most of the time above 10,000 feet. The Pacific Northwest might have more icy conditions. But my simple advice is: drive carefully, and SLOWLY. With four wheel drive, you will be among the vehicles with the better traction. But...
  19. M

Front Fenders?

I understand you want new parts, but salvage sounds like it could be an option… Good luck.
  20. M

Radiator Fins arrived Bent. Should I send Back?

Totally agree with Turdle…. Run it! No problems.
  21. M

Rodent nest in engine bay

Snap trap … wherever the rodents are, especially near the chewing sites, and any obvious paths to the chewing sites. Rodent tape … I would cover the chewed items, and maybe add a little in other places, in case the smell deters them as well as the taste. Good luck!
  22. M

Rodent nest in engine bay

Looks like rodents. There are a lot of alternatives to get rid of them: snap traps, poison, etc…. with poison, the rodents could die in a place where you would not a dead rodent. I found snap traps effective, especially if you bind the bait with thread to the trap mechanism so that the...
  23. M

Fuel Gauge always shows full

Does not seem likely to be the sender, if the unit was working fine before replacing the cluster. Did you disconnect the battery while you were working on the cluster? Or maybe disconnect the battery now for a reset? Good luck.
  24. M

Need Help Deciding Which Shock Absorbers to Choose.

Correct. Overthinking. Good luck.
  25. M

Need Help Deciding Which Shock Absorbers to Choose.

I would be astonished (“shocked”) if you could tell the difference between either high quality shock absorber. Good luck with this project.
Back