Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

PCV..should it do this?

I realize this is an old post but you’ve described exactly what I see in my 03 explorer xlt 4.0 Seems a poor design. Even with a new motorcraft valve it’s still loose. Maybe a slightly larger oring would be better? I wonder how much a leak it would take to possibly affect idle rpms Just...
  2. J

Rear end noise on acceleration

Hello Dave, This post was very long ago but I’m having what seems like the exact same problem. Wheel bearings, dragging calipers, half shaft, parking brake shoes?Been going on for a long time. Did you ever find a solution? Regards
  3. J

opinions wanted - sell my 1997 Explorer v8 AWD 115k to buy 2010 Explorer 4.6 135k

I have a 2003 explorer xlt 4.0 which has a sealed tranny. What a crappy idea that was ford. Just my opinion but I’d stay away from anything designed like this
  4. J

Top trans bolt won’t catch thread

Imho seven bolts are enough
  5. J

Valve cover removal

Guess I’m talking to myself here but what the….. Got all the gaskets installed after basically doing the job over again. Had to remove both water lines to heater core and fuel line. Didn’t want to remove the fuel line, thought that oring would definitely leak. Got lucky there. After a couple...
  6. J

Valve cover removal

Still haven’t got that fitting off the tube. Tried 3 times and it just won’t budge. Decided I’ll just jerry rig it. The fitting tightens to the exhaust manifold no problem but the tube won’t tighten to the fitting. It’s not loose just not tight like it should be. Any chance some kind of sealant...
  7. J

Valve cover removal

As it turns out one of you had done this before, thanks thammel for a good write up. Had to remove the splash shield from the passenger side wheel well to get a better angle on it. Had to modify a wrench since I didn’t have a 25mm for the fitting. Took way longer than I would like to admit just...
  8. J

Valve cover removal

Finally got around to doing valve cover and intake gasket’s and ran into a problem. The pipe that runs from the EGR valve on the throttle body to the exhaust manifold needs to be removed in order to get the passenger side valve cover off. The fitting that goes into the manifold is loose making...
  9. J

Rear hatch window struts

Hey, Need a recommendation for replacement struts for the rear window hatch. What brand have you used and been satisfied with? Thanks
  10. J

Brake light switch

This morning my 03’ explorer (automatic transmission) would not shift out of park. I’ve had this same problem occur only a couple years ago. So I replaced the brake light switch, again. The original lasted about 190,000 miles, the second less than 10,000 and now the third about 10,000 also. I...
  11. J

High idle

I agree the thermostat could be involved. When this first started the ecu set a code indicating thermostat not operating properly. At which point I flushed the system, replaced the thermostat and temp sensor. While that cleared the code the high idle at cold start continued
  12. J

High idle

Why do you think it took so long for the ecu to set that code? Scanned many times, never showed. TPS not far enough out? Or maybe the coolant temp like your thinking plays a part. Each time I’ve scanned it previously I always got code indicating a coolant temp sensor issue. At which I changed...
  13. J

High idle

For way too long I’ve had the problem described at the start of this thread. At long last it has been solved. While the only symptom I noticed previously was the high idle at cold start up in the last few days that changed. In addition I noticed throttle response seemed sluggish. It just didn’t...
  14. J

Ac clutch cycling with heater on

I couldn’t find a chart that went that low either. I’m going to run a can of dye through see if I can find a leak
  15. J

Start/idle issue

Count yourself lucky
  16. J

Checked system Low cycles between 20-40 High cycles between 50-75 Ambient 45-50 degrees
  17. J

Just checked system pressure: Low cycles 20-40 High 50-75
  18. J

Noticed this morning that it cycles the clutch only when the defrost is on. The rpm drop wasn’t as much as yesterday. I’ll check the Freon charge.
  19. J

Start/idle issue

Does the defrost still work well enough? I ask cuz mine has had several issues.
  20. J

why does the AC clutch cycle when using the heater? Are vehicles with no AC that much different? I haven’t used the AC in a long time. The system functions and was recharged a couple years ago. Maybe I can just eliminate the AC?
  21. J

Start/idle issue

How’s the AC and heater working?
  22. J

Start/idle issue

On the backside of the driver’s side valve cover there’s a port that the pvc valve fits in. It’s a difficult spot to get to but can be done. There’s also a vacuum tubing that goes from that valve to the intake plenum. I hope you have that piece of tubing cuz it’s special meaning expensive. When...
  23. J

When the heater is running the AC clutch cycles which I think is normal. But I noticed that the idle rpm also drops when the clutch engages. It’s more of a bounce, as it trips on the rpm will drop momentarily. The clutch cycles every few seconds. I haven’t seen that occur before. Something...
  24. J

Fuel system cleaner

Hey, Last time I filled up the gas gauge showed a quarter tank. After several starts later the gauge is reading normally. Why the glitch? I checked the archives and found some guys using a fuel system cleaner to remedy this. Specifically techroline was mentioned. Anyone have success with this...
  25. J

Trying to figure out what this hose is for. Video to show

I appreciate your efforts but couldn’t find anything from that site. I’m going to pursue getting some kind of camera that will allow me to look at that obscured area
Back