Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

4R55e No Reverse, wont move backwards even in netrual

Hey Guys, sorry for the delayed update, got caught up with some other non related projects. So I started reassembling the trans. And I had a question, on the 95 4r55e, is there a spring for the reverse servo or is it just on the 97 and up models? I've found reverse servo springs and even ordered...
  2. S

TM, yes got the replacement planet ring gear, came with the pinion gear as an assembly. I should still have a can of trans flush from the last time I dropped the trans, so that's not a problem. I'll keep you posted as I progress through this project. Thanks again bud.
  3. S

Hey Transman, so I already ordered a updated reman valve body, rear sun gear, complete thrust washer set, ATP Rebuild kit and rear planet assembly. Everything from the rear assembly forward is clean and also clean from the reverse planet to the back and the output shaft is all clean. I'm willing...
  4. S

OK here are the pics, I counted about 36 Needles (that I found). The pic with the rear planets has the one I bought next to it. As far as I can tell there are no needle bearing in the rear planet assembly, just thrust washers. Appreciate any help.
  5. S

Hey Guys, I'll take a pic of them when I get home tonight.
  6. S

Hey so I tore into the trans, and looks like the rear servo spring gave out and that pretty much destroyed the rear sun gear. Luckily no real damage to the case, and it looks like the damage was mainly contained in the rear drum assembly. Already got a replacement and new thrust washers. My only...
  7. S

Thanks for the quick reply JK. Ya I was thinking it was a mechanical fail too, this sucks. But on the bright side, after the exhaust Manifold to Y pipe bolts all snapped on me last time i dropped the trans and I had to drill and re-tap them, I anti-seized the f*** out of them and just about...
  8. S

Hey, so here's my issue on my 95 Explorer 4.0 w/ 4WD. Drove fine today, got home and shifted into reverse and heard a light clunk and nothing. It engages but wont budge, I rev the engine in reverse and it just bogs, even in neutral it binds. D works fine, shifts smooth through gears. In 1st gear...
  9. S

95 wont rev past 2K RPM in Gear Only

Hey Guys, so here is whats going on. I usually only drive my Explorer like once a week, or in inclement weather. 1995 Explorer 4wd Eddie Bauier about 146K miles, so 1 day I drive it into work on a dry day, and I could feel a hesitation/sputter in the motor, Only happening in at Gear, at 1st it...
  10. S

What is this ticking sound when starting 2004 Explorer? (Video)

Highly unlikely it would be an oil pump, I've only heard an oil pump go once in my life, on a customers car on the way to inspection, it started after I was driving for about a half hour. It was loud as f***, it's not something that goes away after it warms up, and would probably cause the oil...
  11. S

4WD Binding on tight turns

Hey guys, so both the hall sensors came in at the same time and it took care of the binding issue, just in time for winter lol. Here are the p/n 's off the Motorcraft boxes: Front shaft SW-5644 1L2Z-7F293-BA Rear shaft SW-5645 1L2Z-7F293-AB As for the front/rear, I'm 90%sure i got them...
  12. S

What is this ticking sound when starting 2004 Explorer? (Video)

Usually if the problem goes away after the engine warms up, it would be a valve tap. But that sounds more like the timing chain. Assuming your oil level is full. I'd recommend try changing the oil to a heavier grade and see if that helps before you go tearing into it the engine.
  13. S

Hey guys, so i was able to track down the p/n last night. SW5644 SW5645 I'm not sure which is which, they supposedly have a lead wire that is a diff color that I will need to match up to the old ones. Should receive one on 11/23 and the other on 11/28, I will give an update after I install them.
  14. S

All the same brand / wear. They were all replaced the same time less than 2 years ago.
  15. S

Hey guys, I need some help before i lose my freaking mind. Ok quick breakdown, I have a 95 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC, automatic with a 4r55e Trans and a 4405 Borg Warner TC. I had an issue, lost all gears in the trans a while back, dropped the trans, turns out the interior gears on the Torque...
  16. S

No Trans gears

Hey Boomin, I can feel the trans gear engage, you know that initial pop, but I start getting a really loud whine from what sounds like the bell housing area, and if i rev up it does start to role very slowly at about 4k rpm. Not really sure if would be caused by the transfer case. But if the TC...
  17. S

No Trans gears

Hey guys, sorry for the late responses, I was preoccupied with a few other things and waiting for seals and such, so today I reinstalled the pump to the bell housing, followed a video and did it without an alignment tool, just raised the TC high enough for the bell housing to sit about 5 inches...
  18. S

No Trans gears

Does anyone have any idea if the a stuck solenoid in the valve body could cause an issue like this?
  19. S

No Trans gears

Hey guys, so I jumped the gun and dropped the trans hoping it was the trans pump, turns out it's not the pump gears, also looked in the torque converter and it looks clean. Blademr2 I didn't have a chance to try your idea, I really want to get to bottom of this before I put the trans back in. If...
  20. S

No Trans gears

No trouble codes. I used a torque wrench and followed the bolt sequence. Thought about the solenoid switch, but I have no gears, no reverse and no forward. So i eliminated the solenoids or belts as a possible issue, I'm planning on installing a gauge to the trans lines and find out the pressure...
  21. S

No Trans gears

He guys, need some help before I lose my mind. I have a 95 Eddie Bauer with about 146K on it, 4.0 with a 4r55e trans. I m a mechanic by trade, not so much on the Trans side though, I baby my truck and religiously maintain it. The other day I was driving and at about 40mph I lost my trans, all of...
  22. S

sound like a stuck caliper?

ok not to sound redundant but take the caliper off the rotor, crack open the bleeder screw and try to push the piston and see if it goes in easy, if it does then the caliper isn t the problem, didn t read the whole thread so some of my suggestions may have been already said, and u did already...
  23. S

Tie-rod Help

ok are u talkin about the tire rod end goin onto the spindle, if it s new it shouldn t be spinning unless u have a lock-nut instead cotter pin style, but the best way would be to use an impact gun or u could always try using a rough sandpaper on the tire rod end so it grips a lil more on the...
  24. S

v6 ohv

besides the fact the 5.0 swaps are known for cracking the trans case on a 4.0 design, i have plans on rebuilding a 4.0 for my X, when i save up for a supercharger, but i m just gonna get a used engine from a junkyard, rebuild, and swap it...
  25. S

Slight grinding sensation in Floorboard and Pedals at low speeds and turns???

it could be your wheel bearings, but i d also check the front and rear diff. fluid...
Back