Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

2002 4.0L V6 valve cover gasket replacement and TIPS!

I was so frustrated with not being able to loosen the tube at the exhaust manifold that I bent it pretty well. I'm in the process of preparing to sell the vehicle, so I need to get the "Service Engine Soon" light off if possible without rigging it. No leaks from mine yet, but it has only been 8...
  2. B

2001 Explorer-Running out of ideas

Older thread, but thought I'd throw in a thought... Check for a broken ground wire in the boot between the driver's door and the vehicle. Fixed all kinds of issues for me, and only cost about $5. Doors lock, windows work, rear wiper works, lights go off, all kinds of things...
  3. B

Left (Driver) Side Valve Cover Replacement Help

Bending can definitely damage the pipe and cause a real headache. Over $200 new, or lots of time at the junkyard... Or a rough-running, non-emission-passing, fuel guzzler with a "Service Engine Soon" light.
  4. B

Left (Driver) Side Valve Cover Replacement Help

Ditto on the time spent. Here is a breakdown I did with tips:
  5. B

Have you had any issues with re-installing this tube? I followed these same principles upon reading similar posts on this site, but I have yet to get my EGR tube correctly re-installed. It is loose on the intake manifold side. I eventually got it out after several tries of PB Blaster and the...
  6. B

Multiple issues: Fuel Gauge, EGR Valve, Cruise Control

Well... Seems I've made more work for myself... About six months ago I undertook two jobs that tested my skill level. Both with guidance from this blog, as well as hours spent under and above my '02 (June '01) Explorer Sport V6, 4.0L 4x4. I am currently dealing with multiple issues, and I'm...
  7. B

4.0L SOHC Valve Cover Gasket Job - Some Notes

I've just completed this job on my 2002 4.0L V6 4WD, and wanted to throw in my findings. First, the longest part of this job is removing the upper intake manifold. You might as well replace the intake manifold gaskets while at it. All in all I think it cost me about $70 for all the gaskets, PB...
  8. B

HELP... 02 4.0L SOHC - Hissing noise, rough idle

I really didn't want to, but this is my only answer. Thanks for the reply. I needed to leave it and get some rest because of the trouble re-shaping the EGR tube. I was cussing like a sailor when I cranked it and found it was hissing. I'm about to go pull it again and hope for the best.
  9. B

I've just completed this job on my 2002 4.0L V6 4WD, and wanted to throw in my findings. First, the longest part of this job is removing the upper intake manifold. You might as well replace the intake manifold gaskets while at it. All in all I think it cost me about $70 for all the gaskets, PB...
  10. B

HELP... 02 4.0L SOHC - Hissing noise, rough idle

Hello all. I've just completed a valve cover gasket replacement on my 2002 4.0L SOHC 4WD Explorer, with help from several threads on here. I've gotten everything back together (after hours of messing with the EGR tube), and now I've got a rough idle and a hissing sound from the rear of the...
Back