Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Decision on what A/T tires to get

I just put on 31" BFG All terrains on my EB 2 weeks ago, paired them with 15x8 black cragar soft 8's. Couldn't have been happier. Definitely go with the BFG's.
  2. M

Torque Converter Shudder

Thanks! i'll definitely do a flush and add the friction modifier.
  3. M

Torque Converter Shudder

Well first of all I want to thank those who convinced me to put some time into my 97 EB AWD. It's been a blast the last few months working on it and especially getting parts for it. I do however have one issue that I don't know how to attack, the torque converter shudder. It always happens...
  4. M

Solved Lifts and Max tire sizes

has anyone tried 31" on an EB without lift? will it clear the fenders?
  5. M

All you need to know about keyless entry

It's fixed now. I unplugged all connectors, waited 5 minutes, and re-connected all of them. Worked right away. Thanks!
  6. M

Keyless Entry Stopped Working

nevermind. It's fixed. simply unplugged all connectors for 5 minutes and plugged back in. Started working in no time.
  7. M

All you need to know about keyless entry

Everything stopped working on my explorer. It was working a day earlier. Took it in to my mechanic yesterday to check out a sound coming from the dash (which he didn't hear until I took him on a ride along), but he fixed the brakes instead. Went home and installed a new intake and realized the...
  8. M

Keyless Entry Stopped Working

Problem after problem. After unhooking the neg. battery cable to install an intake, I hooked the battery cable back up to test drive the explorer. After hooking up the battery, I realized the keyless entry and keypad stopped working. Touching the keypad would usually activate the dome lights...
  9. M

New tapping/knocking noise! scaring the heck out of me

Yea. I already have that problem too. haha. EGR tube is cracked, right side exhaust manifold is in bad shape (been seeing a lot of threads on this issue and confirmed with people telling me I have an exhaust leak) However, this one is a bit different. The ticking from the EGR tube is...
  10. M

Yea I checked all the pulleys and tensioner when I replaced the belt. Everything seemed fine. The noise didn't seem like it was coming from the front of the engine, more so from the back. Probably anywhere from the throttle body and back, maybe even as far back as the egr valve.
  11. M

Yea, sorry for the mix up. I meant serpentine belt. I couldn't stand the noise anymore so I took it out and replaced it yesterday. I had more time yesterday to drive it around after I replaced the serpentine belt. I thought the two were related, but after the fix the light tapping/knocking...
  12. M

So this happened yesterday after a full week of odd noises. First it was a timing belt screech, second the brakes started screeching, third the odd shudder which i've posted about already. However this one is unique and quote honestly has me worried to drive it. The timing belt screech started...
  13. M

Odd shudder during acceleration

So this has been happening for a while whenever I drive. Usually with a light foot, once the speedo gets up to 30-40mph I get this sudden shudder. It's loud, the whole car starts to shake rapidly, almost like something isn't meshing as the front tire spins and then it goes away. Usually with...
  14. M

Rancho Suspension Question

I'm looking into getting Rancho RS 5000's for my 97 AWD v8 EB. Their site gives me 2 options, one for a 1-2.5" lift and one for stock height. If i'm doing a 1.5"- 2" WAR-153 shackle and tt lift will the stock height rancho shock absorbers still work without issues? I'd like to order them soon...
  15. M

Wierd Rattle Near Idler/Radiator

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try when I have more time. Any advice on replacing EGR tube?
  16. M

EGR Tube

Anyone ever replace an EGR tube on a 2nd gen v8 5.0L explorer? Are there any surprises I should expect? Seems simple enough. Disconnect hoses going in, unscrew top and bottom, put in new one, and re-attach hoses. i know it's a pain to get to, but just want to know if anyone has done this...
  17. M

My gut feeling is the upper idler pulley. Noise seems to be coming right in front of the radiator fan. i think the 2nd idler pulley is off more towards the left of the radiator fan? BTW, how the hell do you get that tensioner loose? there's no hole for the 3/8" ratchet, instead there's a bolt...
  18. M

I'll look into that as soon as it stops raining here. But just to follow up, i've uploaded it on to youtube. you can hear it very distincly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3imActwCSuM New Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPlCMSBLrlg
  19. M

I have a 97 v8 awd explorer and I'm getting an odd rattle towards the front of the engine. Sounds like marbles rolling around coming from/near the idler pulley and radiator, need help! It started today when I started it up. It's not really THAT cold as it is California, but it is colder than...
  20. M

Exhaust Manifold

Would an exhaust manifold made for 2000 Ford Explorer V8 fit on my 1997 Ford Explorer v8? Not looking to spend the $$$ for headers. And like a lot of those out there, I'm trying to track down that ticking sound when the engine is under load. I have a cracked EGR tube, but it also seems like i...
  21. M

5.0 Exhaust Thread

Thinking about putting a new muffler for a more aggressive sound on the '97 5.0L EB. Looking at flowmaster 40 or 50 series. Would I lose anything going to the 40 series? I have a dual in single out, but the 40 series is a single in single out. Not sure if that'd be a great idea. Also looking...
  22. M

Odd vibration during acceleration

It's a 5.0L. That's what I was leaning towards, but wanted to see what other possibilities could be affecting it.
  23. M

Odd vibration during acceleration

I have a '97 EB with 170k miles on it and have encountered this weird problem. During normal driving or freeway driving once i hit about 30-40 mph maybe around 3000 rpm i get this sudden vibration. It sounds like something is grinding, but it only lasts for a second or 2 at most. It's like a...
  24. M

Is it worth the fix? In desperate need of advice.

Thanks guys. Basically I made up my mind and have decided to go ahead and try and fix the problems. Don't really want to lose the explorer. Hopefully you guys can help me out on some of my issues. There are 2 that get to me the most. 1. Exhaust leak (or at least I think it is). There's a...
  25. M

Is it worth the fix? In desperate need of advice.

i think the main problem i have is a ticking sound. I know there's an exhaust leak, but i'm now thinking a bad lifter as well? i have video's of it, but it's not great quality and it's a bit windy since they were recorded off my phone.
Back