Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Time to change those saggy leafs?

Also switch the sides for the leaf springs. The drivers side is heavier and usually that spring sags a little more.
  2. A

Time to change those saggy leafs?

Pro Comp Add-A-Leaf Kit 13120 Bilstein 4600 series HD shocks ( if you want to spend the money they are worth it) OR KYB Gas-A-Just
  3. A

pre lube and centrifugal engine oil filters

It looks like the same pre-filtration input set up as the Canton 22-569 that only has 1 input. They both need a check valve inline like the canton 24-280. My initial plan is to use that check valve inline with a 1/2 male npt to 1/8 female npt to the sandwich. If anyone has used the recommended...
  4. A

pre lube and centrifugal engine oil filters

GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Sensor Adapter - 3/4 UNF-16 Thread - GS-AF2 | eBay This is a better deal for the sandwich adapter. it also has 3 ports for gauges.
  5. A

A4LD reverse servo seal upgrade

www.transmissionpartsusa.com/A4LD_4R44E_5R55E_Transmission_reverse_servo_D_ring_p/230-00023256k.htm This is where I ended up ordering from but the shipping is outrageous. I called and talked them into giving me a break on the shipping cost.
  6. A

A4LD reverse servo seal upgrade

Does anyone have a source for the updated D-Ring or Double Lip reverse servo seal for the A4LD? Thanks
  7. A

Need info on 99 Explorer transmission

There is a ID tag on the passenger side of the transmission aft of the intermediate servo cover. Crawl under there with a flashlight and take a picture or otherwise copy the information. That tag has all the numbers you need to identify the transmission or a compatible unit.
  8. A

5r55s/w no forward gears copper in fluid

Just an update. Last night I installed 2 new separator plate gaskets and a new solenoid pack. I also adjusted the bands to 72 inch/pounds and backed out 1 turn instead of the recommended 2 or 1 1/2 from various sources. All symptoms have improved. I still have a somewhat soft 1-2 and a little...
  9. A

Just got back from some more test driving. The missing and stumbling "whop, whop, whop" occurs at 5k rpm well below the 6k redline shiftpoint. my conclusion is that it is not a rev limiter function but is directly related to the transmission attempting to up shift into 2nd. 2nd and 5th are the...
  10. A

Well I already made the mistake of reassembling the transmission and it is back in the truck and driving now. It has a soft 1-2 shift and a thunk 2-3. Worse than that when I accelerate full throttle from a standing start it revs all the way to redline (which is the normal shift point for this...
  11. A

This is a re-manufactured transmission and already has the bronze sleeves in it. Can I just remove the worn sleeves and press in new ones?
  12. A

Just found this. So both servos and the forward clutch piston seal all going bad at the same time. DO you think this is related? maybe a massive high pressure situation?
  13. A

One Question. Do you think that I need to replace the overdrive planet shims?
  14. A

Here is the no forward gear problem.. Thank You for your help
  15. A

I found a piece of rubber underneath the forward clutch frictions and steels which can only be a part of the molded rubber seal on the back of the stamped piston. Now once I figure out a way to compress the spring pack and remove the snap ring I am sure to have found the culprit.
  16. A

So far this is what I have found: Burned forward clutch frictions. They measure .059-.060 (should be .068) steels measure .064(should be .065). Also, you nailed it with the overdrive planet gears eating their bronze shims. 2 are completely missing and one is half gone of which I found the other...
  17. A

Thanks, I will see what else I find tomorrow.
  18. A

pics of broken part
  19. A

broken servo piston rod pics
  20. A

I just finished the tear down and so far what I have found is the overdrive servo piton rod broken in half at the oil hole. The transmission looks new inside. I will inspect individual components tomorrow. My symptoms were no forward movement in any gear but good reverse so maybe the broken rod...
  21. A

I just finished the tear down and so far what I have found is the overdrive servo piton rod broken in half at the oil hole. The transmission looks new inside. I will inspect individual components tomorrow. My symptoms were no forward movement in any gear so Maybe the broken rod was bleeding off...
  22. A

Hi everyone. I have a 2005 4.0L 4WD Explorer with the 5r55s/w. the symptoms are: No Forward gears at all. Reverses works normally except it slams into gear sometimes. I have removed the valve body and didn't see any glaring problems but I am not experienced with automatic transmissions. I was...
  23. A

Hi everyone. I have a 2005 4.0L 4WD Explorer with the 5r55s/w. the symptoms are: No Forward gears at all. Reverses works normally except it slams into gear sometimes. I have removed the valve body and didn't see any glaring problems but I am not experienced with automatic transmissions. I was...
  24. A

2005 X 5r55s/w no forward gears

It looks like my post got reformatted and is completely unreadable To restate....I only measured at idle due to the vehicle not being drivable. Reverse works but slams into gear some times. I measured line pressures that were higher than the specs for all gears including reverse. I measured the...
  25. A

2005 X 5r55s/w no forward gears

Well, I finally was able to measure some pressures. Since the explorer has no forward gears I was unable to measure at WOT. Here is the Line Pressure test from the ATSG manual. Explorer/Mountaineer, Range Idle Line Pres WOT Line Press. Idle PC "C" Press...
Back