Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

valve cover compatibility

Got a crack on the passenger's (rh) side valve cover. Wouldnt care except it's dripping onto the hot exhaust manifold and smoking up a storm. The only replacement valve cover I've found is labelled 2004+. What changed in 04 to where i cant use this on my 2002? Just from looking at the picture...
  2. 9

Steering wheel switch upgrade

Honestly i think i got them from an eddie Bauer expedition. The EB And limited trim should have the switches... Anything With the auto climate control.
  3. 9

IT CAUGHT FIRE!!

before you do anything, rinse all of that dry chem off and blow out your alternator with compressed air. That stuff will corrode everything...
  4. 9

Crack down rear tailgate

getting more common than that. It sticks out to me when I see one that isn't busted now.
  5. 9

How to: 4th gen hatch swap on 3rd gen Explorer DONE!!!

How to: - 4th gen hatch swap on 3rd gen Explorer DONE!!!
  6. 9

I Hit A Deer: Questions About Rebuilding

Must be a year-specific thing... my 02 has aluminum fenders and hood.
  7. 9

Thumping coming from front driver side

But did you do more than a visual check? jack up that corner and try to yank the wheel back and forth from the top and bottom. If they were replaced with chinesium they might be brand new and still bad. Given the rust you mentioned, i'd say to pick up that wheel and give it a good strong yank...
  8. 9

Thumping coming from front driver side

sounds like strut, sway bar link, tie rod end, or ball joints.
  9. 9

Converting a 5-seater to a 7-seater?

access to an angle grinder would also probably get them out intact... heat might be an enemy of the plastic.
  10. 9

Power front seats into a base model without them?

if they aren't both heated, you probably have a manual passenger seat. I'm not sure the power unheated passenger seat was ever made.
  11. 9

Power front seats into a base model without them?

I've got power heated front seats in my XLS that originally had manual seats, so I think I qualify as an expert on this subject. Edited to rearrange my thoughts a little and clarify. The memory module can not be made to work in a car that doesn't have the supporting wiring and other modules...
  12. 9

Can I put a door code thing on a truck without it? What about automatic lights?

AFIK that got axed by a trademark infringement claim from ford. Ford actually uses a stick-on accessory for some newer models, and the ones that work on older models are not available anymore that I can find. It's not just the door. It's also the keyless entry module, the central security...
  13. 9

Can I put a door code thing on a truck without it? What about automatic lights?

neither of those is an easy update. There's a lot of inter-connected modules that you'd need to pull the module and wiring harness from the 02. Even then, there were some mid-year changes that might prevent them from working even if you did move them over.
  14. 9

Converting a 5-seater to a 7-seater?

totally doable, especially with the donor car. second row should also be swapped over (I'd do all 3 rows or at least the front covers just to match the whole way around)
  15. 9

New with a Few Qs

They are just ordinary plastic, I think they had a piano black finish back in the day...
  16. 9

2005 Explorer Cruise Control Issue (Need advice)

Have you done the diagnostic procedure?
  17. 9

Cruise Control issue need advice - 2003 4.6 XLT

sorry it took so long to get back to you. You should start with the key off, holding the OFF button, then turn the key on, release the OFF button and press the ON, then RESUME, then COAST, then SET/ACCEL. The light should flash when you turn the key on, then again when you press each other button.
  18. 9

New with a Few Qs

try trim restoration like "Back to Black" but I'm not sure that there's any trim paint... up to you. I'd save the money and cross fingers. not sure... Those are just trim pieces. So far as I know just wetsand them lightly, hit them with plastic primer and some black paint.
  19. 9

Feel like I'm being shunned!? ;)

I'll try to dig out my service manual tonight. When you say "0 resistance" does that mean an open circuit? I'd expect to see open on 2 wires (hot for pump, signal ref for sending unit) and then nearly 0 resistance to chassis ground on the third (a common ground). I'll know more when I see the...
  20. 9

Manual trans swap from a Ranger donor ?

5 speed was offered in 2wd and 4wd for 2002 (gen 3). only with the v6 though. They are relatively rare (I haven't seen any hard production numbers but the best guesstimates I've seen are around 2500 for the US market. Australia got a few too, but no idea how many and the pedal box will be wrong...
  21. 9

Ok, the only real difference is that the ones with the radio are more prone to failure.
  22. 9

The self-test should work on the 2003. Do you have your cruise control buttons split up or are they all on one panel, with radio/climate buttons on the other side? Now that your cruise works... set the cruise and then try the off button to cancel it instead of tapping the brake. Especially if...
  23. 9

AWD to 4x4 Conversion

mountaineer and aviator should be the same process.
  24. 9

Tail lights ?

Pro-tip, feed the new tail light off the third brake light, and now you've got a separate brake and turn signal.
Back