Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix

Hi Valliance- I don't know how to do it easily without cutting. There used to be and probably still is a vedeo on youtube where a fellow shows the procedure on a heater box he removed from a truck (junkyard pick). Good luck
  2. J

fenders

Thanks Turdle I'll let you know know if I go for the fender too- not just the hood. Kinda hard to resist at only $45 for a color matched (sun faded) fender. Hood is $50. I tried to attache files and it didn't work
  3. J

fenders

Hey c,mike I know this is 9 years since you posted about 96 for fenders. Just had a branch fall on my 96 XLT and it smushed in the hood and bent the driver's side fender. So at my local Pull A Part they have several color matched Explorers 96-2001. Do you think any hood and any )front...
  4. J

Another cheapo overseas ebay part - crash and burn

I have a 96 4.0L OHV and I had the same problem as you. I bought a super cheap Chinese made part and it worked for 3 months. Then I bought another cheap Chinese made part and it has worked for 4 years. Go figure.
  5. J

1996 Explorer front pwr seats dead

Thanks man! PM me and will see if we can work out a deal. I have a pull-a-part near my house and it usually has several sec gens in stock so if there is anything simple (that can be mailed) I can go look for you. Jim
  6. J

1996 Explorer front pwr seats dead

Hey man nice seats and nice console cover! I have a 96 but my front seat was not leather and the fabric covering seat is in horrible condition. TekCTRL if you are reading this try searching ebay for this "1996 1997 1998 Ford Explorer Tan Cloth Front Drivers Power Seat". The person that posted...
  7. J

98 likes to roll in park

This is what was wrong with my 1997 6 cyl OHV. After I removed the instrument cluster to replace light bulbs I realized I somehow misaligned the column shifter. Went back and tightened mounting screws and shifter adjustment "wheel" under the dash. So basically, until I fixed it, I was...
  8. J

A coolant issue

Good luck on the MCAT. You can do it!
  9. J

AC issue

I am certainly not an expert but in my case in my 96 exp 4.0 ohv I got by an extra year by adding some oil (via the low side) and 134a (via the low side) however despite dye I could not find the slow leak I had but it stopped the compressor noise and kept the system cooling for better part of a...
  10. J

How to: 2nd gen console removal

Great explanation. Also on my '96 bank one sensor 1 I accessed the O2 sensor with the SHORTEST O2 socket in my kit (22 mm I think- bought from Advance Auto and only had three O2 sensor socket HOWEVER the longest one restricted me from being able to attach my ratcheting breaker bar). I removed...
  11. J

96 explorer horn stuck

I used metal washers. Today I removed them and the horn stopped it's blowing. Those washers definitely threw off the mounting of the horn switch/airbag unit. Now I have to rig some way to secure the switch so it doesn't just flop around.
  12. J

96 explorer horn stuck

Sorry to reply 5 years later but I am having the same problem on 1996 explorer 4.0 OHV XLT. I put in replacement cruise control switches from the juck yard. Had to add a washer to each of the two screws holding the left cruise switch in (cause the plastic had broken where the screws penetrate...
  13. J

1997 Explorer SOHC code P0174

Mine was intake manifold gasket as well. Very important to get good quality gaskets and install and torque properly. And if you can't torque it properly make sure you torque the hell out of it. You might be able to fix it by tightening what's on there- definitely just bite the bullet and...
  14. J

99 explorer idle issues

On my 96 I had a very subtle vacuum leak on the egr tube where it meets the intake. Mine's an ohv engine. You sound like you have 10 time the knowledge I do of how to test and read the computer diagnostics. Really. Impressive. Just saying I had very similar issues when I re-did my top...
  15. J

Purge valve replacement part

I'm guessing most of those would function properly and I agree you might need to get a little creative with the hoses. I do not know if amazon allows return of electrical parts- Advance auto doesn't.....and also I did have to try two different brands of DPFE sensors from amazon on my 1996...
  16. J

Purge valve replacement part

For $20 try this one from Amazon: AU5A-9G866AB Purge Valve Assembly for 2011-2016 Mustang GT Explorer F-150 Edge Raptor Taurus Flex Replace AU5A9G866AB AU5Z- 9C915-B CX-2409
  17. J

And I used TWO seals on the egr tube to upper plenum seal. That thing was a ***** to seal up

And I used TWO seals on the egr tube to upper plenum seal. That thing was a ***** to seal up
  18. J

Replacing those gaskets fixed it. I DID replace fuel injector orings too.

Replacing those gaskets fixed it. I DID replace fuel injector orings too.
  19. J

Rough idle and high bank 2 fuel trims

I have no idea but I hope you are a mechanic by trade because you are waaaaaaayy ahead of me lol. I'd suspect bad/failing fuel injector (since you did intake gaskets-and I assume your truck has upper intake manifold gaskets like my 96 explorer does.). Good luck bro and good write up. Please...
  20. J

Going to replace upper and lower intake manifold gaskets today, install new seals on injectors...

Going to replace upper and lower intake manifold gaskets today, install new seals on injectors, new plugs, etc. getting p0300 and p0153
  21. J

Running great. 500 miles later. Heads re-used after being planed and leak tested. No valve job...

Running great. 500 miles later. Heads re-used after being planed and leak tested. No valve job. mechanic charged me $1050 parts and labor.
  22. J

Truck in shop. Heads at machine shop. Waiting for diagnosis if heads are good

Truck in shop. Heads at machine shop. Waiting for diagnosis if heads are good
  23. J

Will new valve job overstress old bottom end?

Thanks Dono and Roscoe: Took the truck to mechanic Monday with instructions to pull and inspect heads (pressure test)- if OK they will not do valve job. If either head is cracked then I'll probably go with new heads from Kingscylinderheads. OR Say I have valve issues requiring one side to get...
  24. J

Thanks Roscoe- that's the route I'm on
  25. J

96 XLT OHV V6 4.0L 250K on original motor Problem: Blown head gasket (and/or cracked head) Question: Should I include a valve job when having the heads replaced or will having a super tight top end overly stress my lower end and cause it to fail, or fail quicker? Condition of rings: Good...
Back