Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Changed thermostat..now engine misses

Just put in a new thermostat in my 98 Sport 4.0 OHV. No big deal...3 bolts. Put it back together...topped up the coolant and ran without the radiator cap awhile til the air bubbles escaped. Ran the heater on high...nice and warm. Coolant circulating...radiator warm. Checked coolant level and put...
  2. R

Rear differential questions

What's the rear differential modification of choice among Sport owners? I've read about powertraxx, Eaton and others and I think I want a posi- rear as my 98 Sport is my daily driver. I'm assuming my stock rear is the 8.8 31 spline? Is a locker a better choice? Any advice will be appreciated...
  3. R

RPM's at 55 MPH

I was wondering what the rest of the Explorer's tach at 55 mph. I run about 2000 at 55 and this is high compared to my Blazer which runs about 1400 at 55mph. The overdrive works so its not like I need an extra gear there. Is it because of this all wheel drive system? I have the 4.0 ohv in my 98.
  4. R

Auto hub servicing?

Wow...for the few months I've had this Explorer, I was assuming I had "auto-hubs". Thanks for the wake-up call on this.
  5. R

Auto hub servicing?

Thanks for the detailed info. guys. Im not getting any noise from them. I just thought anything preventative to do with these hubs would help them last longer. Seems I've heard that these auto-hubs don't have a good track record.
  6. R

Auto hub servicing?

I did a search for "auto-hub servicing and came up with nothing. I read somewhere that you guys clean these hubs with ATF and let them dry. I never had a look at the auto hub system. Is this an easy procedure or not? Is it a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing? How long does it take to...
  7. R

U-joints?

Does it happen when starting and stopping?..If so you might want to grease the slip-yoke spline on the rear drive shaft. I was getting a clunk at stop signs and members in here steered me the right way.
  8. R

Rough idle when cold

Thanks for the advice...I'll check the intake bolts.
  9. R

Rough idle when cold

Hey guys...I checked the search feature for info on The IAT, the IAC and thhe MAF sensor. My 98 4x4 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 OHV, just recently started having a rough idle upon cold startup and lasts a few miles and goes away. I cleaned the MAF and was thinking that it could be this Intake...
  10. R

98 Explorer Fogs

98 fog lights Just remove those ugly, yellowed plastic junk lights and wire in a fresh aftermarket set of driving or fog lights using the existing wiring. I picked up a halogen set at Walmart. They're smaller than stock but they're the oval design. Any of these light kits will have their own...
  11. R

98 Ex Sport cold start problem

Hey folks....my 98 Sport has just developed delayed starting on these cold mornings. It cranks like the battery is good and then finally fires after the second or third try. Warm weather brought quick starts. I've read the threads on the IAC. I have no whining sounds and it idles real smooth...
  12. R

Speaker breaking up on accelleration?

Hey guys, haven't posted since summertime as my 98 Ex Sport has been behavin'. Now.....aside from a problem today with a delayed start on this cold morning, my driver side door speaker cuts out, breaks up while driving but comes back at a stop. All other speakers are great. Suspect wiring? Any...
  13. R

98 Ex Sport.......wheel bearings?

Thanks Doug....I was talking to a maint. guy at work today. He has some Ford front end background and he said also to plan a couple of hours to do the job.
  14. R

Thanks Dave....tire rotation coming up.
  15. R

I've looked through alot of threads here and came across few with my Ex's symptom. This rotational wump, wump, wump between 20 and 40 mph is the only thing that bothers me about the Sport. If the problem is , in fact, front wheel bearings, how much to fix it myself?...in a shop? I have some...
  16. R

Rear shaft slip-yoke servicing

Thanks Guys....I just did the fuel filter with the plastic release tool. I didn't de-pressurize the fuel line. I wore goggles and covered up the filter area with a towel....not much gas spillage at all. Now I'm off to the slip- yoke job.
  17. R

Rear shaft slip-yoke servicing

I've been hearing that slight "clunk" sound upon stopping and leaving off the brake to pull out again. I read somewhere here about lubing this slip spline inside the boot to stop this noise. Do I remove the clips that clamp the boot on or can I unbolt the small front section of the shaft and...
  18. R

Rotational dull sound in driveline

Thanks...I was under it today checking for anything obvious but so far...nothing
  19. R

Rotational dull sound in driveline

Hey folks....newbie here..just picked up my first Ford, a 98 Explorer Sport. I like it so far but I'm hearing a faint whumping sound at around 25 to 35 mph. It's a rotational sound and goes away at highway speeds and during accellerating. Hard to pinpoint location but it sounds midway to front...
Back