Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

looking for honest opinions on 5th Gen Ex

JC - Sorry for the ramble. I guess I am just a rambling old man. In a nutshell. I will NOT be buying another Taurus wagon (aka Explorer). Nor would I recommend anyone buy one without doing your homework. Please make sure you are getting what you need or want, not something Ford has...
  2. C

looking for honest opinions on 5th Gen Ex

I have a '15 XLT. It is a nice Ford Taurus wagon, but to me it is no Explorer. After owning a 1991 Explorer, 1997 Mountaineer, & 2005 Explorer, I have been disappointed in my 2015. Build quality, by todays standards, is marginal at best. Right front door, fender and hood alignment is...
  3. C

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Embarrassed of my Explorer. Last Thursday we used my 2015 Explorer XLT for a relatives funeral procession. Driving from the church to the cemetery it stunk so bad we had to open all the windows. Everyone was coughing and had watering/burning eyes. Weather was low 30's and raining. Powers to...
  4. C

What colour/color is your Explorer?

Magnetic on my 2015 XLT. Looks so-so when dirty, but looks GREAT when cleaned up (kind of like me) :) Craig
  5. C

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

I've had my 2015 Explorer for about a year now. First 9 months would only get a hint of foul odor and then only when pushing it hard. Then for 3 months no odors. Yesterday I drove the Explorer and for the whole 30 mile trip the odor was terrible. My eyes watered and I had to open the windows...
  6. C

gen 5 awd question

On gen 5 awd Explorer, does the rear axle have an open or locking differential? Craig
  7. C

Rear hatch dimensions?

"Silver", I just measured my 2015, I believe the 2016 should be about the same. rear hatch opening 46" wide 34" high in middle for approx. 15" each side of center. The top edge is curved and at about 17" off center it tapers to 32" high. Then continues to decrease for the last few...
  8. C

True 4wd? Or awd?

OrangeSoda123, great description of the different drive modes. I do have a question. How do you engage "snow mode" on a FWD Explorer? Craig
  9. C

Straight answer please!

Adapters: Hoppy 47375, Hoppy 47465, or Tow Ready 20141 available at Walmart.com A few years ago I bought one at the local Walmart. Maybe your local Walmart or parts store stocks them also. Craig
  10. C

Looking for a 6 or 8 ply 245/60r18

It was mentioned about using 17" wheels to get the tires wanted for the OP. Has anyone tried putting 17" wheels on the 2015 Explorers. I have asked before and been told it may not be possible, but I haven't talked to anyone who has done it. I know the previous years (2011-2014) used 17"...
  11. C

Looking at used 2013 XLT - what should I know?

Test drive the 2013 Explorer and be sure that is what you want. In March I bought a new 2015 Explorer without test driving it. I have driven Explorers since they came out in1991. I've had a 1991, 1997, 2005 and now a 2015. The 2015 is a great CAR, no where near the truck Explorers of the...
  12. C

sport bites the dust.

Maybe you could let the adjuster know about the diminshed value claim BEFORE the Explorer is fixed. The diminshed value amount may be enough to push the claim up enough for the vehicle to be "totaled". Just a thought. Craig
  13. C

Window In Liftgate Doesn't Open

Rear hatch window Am I missing something. The rear hatch window doesn't open? on 2015 Explorer. I've had Explorers since 2001, this is my first 5th gen. I went to open the window today and I couldn't find a button to open it up. Seems like every day I find another thing that makes the...
  14. C

Cleaning nav / entertainment screen

NOW you tell me. I Have to admit that was funny!! :D Craig
  15. C

Cleaning nav / entertainment screen

Any do's or don'ts about cleaning fingerprints off the screen? Craig
  16. C

Is a weight distribution hitch worth it's weight?

Well worth the added weight. Once you drive with the weight dist. hitch, you will never tow without it again!! Craig
  17. C

2015 Wheels

Just bought 2015 Explorer XLT fwd. I have a set of stock alum. wheels w/snow tires I used on my 2005 Explorer XLT 4x4. The 2005 wheel and tires are 245/65r17 and the 2015 wheel and tires are 245/60r18. The tire diameter is almost identical. The 2005 bolt pattern is 5x4.5, the 2015 is...
  18. C

2015 Explorer towing

Hi Anime, Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have the 3.5L v6 with the factory tow package and I use a weight dist. hitch. I don't anticipate any problems, but was wondering if anyone here had towed this type of combo. I am curious about the handling with lack of a steel frame. Happy...
  19. C

2015 Explorer towing

Just got a new 2015 Explorer XLT fwd, (factory class III tow package) last Tuesday. Looking to tow my trailer w/Mustang on it. Combined wt. approx. 4500 - 4700 pounds. I previously towed this with my 1997 Mountaineer v8 awd worked locally, but I wouldn't have traveled long distance with it...
Back