Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

swapping a 2004 explorer transmission in a 2003

I posted this on an explorer FB page already, but I figured I'd get some more recommendations here. I have a 03 4.0 4x4 that the OD band broke and shot metal through the transmission. I was originally planning on rebuilding it myself, but would rather swap in a good trans and save a lot of time...
  2. W

02 Eddie Bauer dreaded transmission question

I had some of the same issues with my 03 4.0. Threw the servo bore fix at it with no luck. Looks to me like it's a broken OD band. Starts out fine, wont shift into second, creative footwork on the throttle gets it to bypass second and go into third. After a little while the OD light comes on...
  3. W

03 xlt 4.0 4wd 5r55w code p0735 p0775 flashing OD HELLLLLLLP!

That was my first thought too when it happened. It was so sudden that I was just praying it was a broken servo. The bore issue would take a bit of time with shift flares and other issues before a serious problem. This was like fine one minute, F***ed the next. I should have just dropped the pan...
  4. W

I think the OD band is broken, sadly. Funny, my first thought was correct. I have a video, going to try and post it. I could move the band anchor back and forth on the adjuster side about half an inch with just my finger. The IM band was tight and no movement possible.
  5. W

so I pulled the trans pan and solenoid block today to test the solenoid. One thing I noticed that was extremely concerning is that there are tons of pieces of metal in the pan. I changed the transmission filter in late summer and they were not there before. So something got shredded. Im going to...
  6. W

That's all I need to know. I need to get this thing up and running quick as its the only vehicle my wife can drive right now. Going to be ordering the servo bore kit tonight. Anything else I should check? I dont really have enough time now to pull the servos out and inspect them, but it seems...
  7. W

By doing a little more reading, I think it's possible that it's a broken servo. Any thoughts?
  8. W

Hey guys, I have an 03 4.0 with 185k and driving home this morning the dreaded OD light started flashing and the truck started shifting weird. I pulled over, shut the truck off and it was fine until about 30 miles later when it started again. no TC lockup, no 5th and when I slowed down enough it...
  9. W

03 Explorer 4wd 5r55w going into neutral while in drive or reverse

So the story continues... Truck drove perfectly up until last night when I noticed that it hesitated about 5 seconds before going into reverse backing out of my driveway. About 30 minutes later it started doing the same BS sitting at a stop light, shifting in and out of first gear. I drove it...
  10. W

well that stinks. Oh well. Cost me hundreds less than if I wouldve taken it to a shop, so I'll take the 8.50 loss.
  11. W

2002 4.6L Intake after 199k

I filled mine slam full of high temp RTV, put the rubber cap back on and put a hose clamp on it. There's no way it will blow and hopefully it doesnt. I sold the truck to my fiance's boss so if it does, I'll hear about it.
  12. W

2002 4.6L Intake after 199k

I did the dorman intake on my 04 Mountaineer 4.6 last summer before I sold the truck. It started out as coolant loss when I was coming back from the outer banks earlier in the season. By the time I got home the check gauge light went off and I was overheating pretty bad. Filled it up and a month...
  13. W

So I finally had enough time yesterday afternoon to mess around with the truck. I bought a little hand pump from the auto parts store and used the transmission fill adapter I got for $13 on amazon. I was going to pull the pan and replace the filter, but the kids had karate practice last night so...
  14. W

Servo O-Ring Mod A Permanent Fix For 5R55?

I have not done the fix, but I researched it a lot when trying to diagnose my own transmission problems. Mine is related to the line pressure relief valve in the pump, not the servo bores. But when I was reading up about the AJ1E fix, I saw a lot more positives than negatives. The company claims...
  15. W

I've seen the pump alignment tool for sale seperately for like $15 so that's an option without having to go with the shift kit. But what about actually removing the pump? I don't want to crack the trans open and have to figure out how to yank that thing out. How hard is it to remove and will I...
  16. W

Yeah, I'm 99% certain it's the line pressure relief valve. My plan of attack right now is to drain and drop the pan, put some more atf in there with lubeguard to see if it will unstick the valve. Just finding the time right now is a challenge for me. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll be...
  17. W

Thanks for the info guys. Im going to start with the valve body and see where it gets me. If not I'll move up to the solenoid pack and servo bore. Question, the line pressure relief valve is in the pump. Can I remove the pump from under the truck or does it require the transmission to be...
  18. W

Thats what I'm leaning towards. Everything I've read seems to point to the valve body. It was what I orignally suspected and then after about a week of second guessing and confusing myself, it's what I keep coming back to. So that's where I'm going to start. I might get a remanned valve body...
  19. W

Delayed/Soft Reverse Engagement Check the following: low line pressure, valve body (sticking valves), incorrectly tightened valve body bolts (cross-leaks), direct clutch assembly and/or reverse band and servo for damage. Delayed/Soft Forward Engagement Check the following: low line pressure...
  20. W

when I replace the fluids, do I absolutely need to use Mercon V or can something less expensive be substituted? The reasoning is I don't want to dump $60 worth of fluid in there only to have to drain it again a week later if I need to drop the pan again.
  21. W

talked to one of the guys at AJ1E (they make the servo bore kit) and he seems to think it's the line pressure relief valve. He said to drain the trans fluid, replace the filter and fill it back up to see if it unsticks the valve. I disconnected the battery for about an hour the other night to...
  22. W

I used my brothers scan tool that pulls engine, trans, o2’s and abs. It showed nothing.
  23. W

I’ll try that when I get home. Drove it a bit earlier and it was hesitating going into 1st like crazy. It’s only a 2-3 second delay though, might not have enough time to put it in third before it grabs.
  24. W

So now I'm torn between replacing the valve body or the solenoid pack or both. There was another thread on here where the guy solved his issue exactly the same as mine by putting a $70 remanned valve body on there. I'm going to call another transmission shop tomorrow, a guy that a good friend...
Back