Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

1991 Chinook Aerostar. I'm looking for help with engine parts.

I think the Ranger/Explorer community sucks up used engines and parts pretty quickly, as they become avail. We did look for one, and maybe weren't patient enough. New 91-94 4.0 heads are affordable, $475 shipped. Those double-wall roller-lifter interior chambers are impossible to get...
  2. 9

Yes, the Lucas slowed the p.steering rack leak down quite a bit. It was getting 18-19 mpg fwy (with adequate power), until a leaky radiator/coolant loss (and an inattentive driver) killed the 4.0engine. Post mortem showed a lotta wear on both ends of the rockers, and on the push rod ends...
  3. 9

I was thinking of a hybrid conversion, putting in batteries and an electric motor in place of the front driveshaft. The E4WD front driveline does complicate the stock 2wd power steering. The front differential displaces the frame crossmember, so it boxes the steering rack. My leaking rack can...
  4. 9

Spark plug cables were replaced.

Aerostar plug and wiring choices Don- I'm looking to reinstall a reconditioned 4.0 in my '91, and like any sane person, don't want to be doing plugs and wires on this chinese puzzle ever, if possible. The cost of a mechanic replacing plugs and wires is multiples of the parts. I see your...
  5. 9

1991 4.0L OHV Aerostar. Lifter & pushrod questions.

pushrod lifter design, clean/refurb video This youtube video is helpful; the procedure and his simple tool innovation is solid, even if the camera work is a static wide shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfx0-iGaUpA I wouldn't want to worry 12 lifters apart without detailed...
  6. 9

91 4.0l e-4wd chinook pop-top I posted a wordy reply last night, but the dog seems to have et my homework;) Chinook top is spring assisted, not automatic. You can see one of the vinyl sleeved springs in the pic, masquerading as a pneumatic lifter. The internal clips and velcro have to be...
  7. 9

1991 4.0L OHV Aerostar. Lifter & pushrod questions.

My aerostar went down hard, water in oil, after coolant loss. The engine is out now, replacement heads due any day. The engine history, prior to losing the heads, is 55K on a Ford dealership longblock. The block deck is flat, so the the engine should have considerable life; we plan to fix the...
  8. 9

Chinook correction OK, I lied; you can see that the third scissor support is in the rear. Also, this is the E-4WD version of Aerostar. I got 19mpg before the meltdown, which is pretty good for the size and weight. I'm planning an Xmas-NYear trip from SoCal out to visit family in...
  9. 9

91 Aerostar Chinook pop-top pics. OK, I popped for the membership, lets see if the attachments do. There should be 2 pics here, one with the Chinook-aerostar top down, and one with it extended (should be tighter), giving about 6'6" standup room. My unit didn't have anything inside in the way...
  10. 9

4.0 1991 engine pull help

91 4.0L engine pull cheat sheet. Thx JD, I'll print your summary and see if my mechanic can illuminate me on what his problem was, beyond the tight Ford van fit. The way he described it, he had to keep stripping parts on the way out, and is considering going back in with the oil pan and...
  11. 9

91 Chinook Aerostar revival Thx for bringing my post to the right place Rick! BBay, Odometer shows 166K: The shoebox of paperwork that came with shows a dealership longblock was installed at 111K, in 2001. Taking the arithmetic at face value, there was 55K on the engine, when it lost...
  12. 9

Post pictures of modified Aerostars here.

Where did Radical get the low-drag windshield sun visor? Is that available, or a custom fabrication? I'm all about basic comfort.
  13. 9

Hi Aerostar/Explorer/Ranger community. Although this is my first post, I've been reading here since purchasing a '91 XL with a rare OEM Chinook pop-top at the end of Spring 15. I'd never noticed a Chinook minivan on the road, although I'm tuned into pop-top campers. In another century, I...
Back