Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 8

1998 Merc mountaineer lift kit

Easy peasy then. Get some 4" max trac sprindles on ebay. They increase suspension ride height, look and handle great.
  2. 8

1998 Merc mountaineer lift kit

I'm guessing your 4x4? If so You can get torsion key's everywhere. google it. If youre 2wd the spindle lift if the way to go.
  3. 8

Upper control arms with coil overs and IFS

The BTF arm definitely provides more clearance. Give him a call as to exactly how much. You can move your coil spring in toward the frame if you cut the upper coilover mount and redo it, and welding tabs on the lower further in as well. . I'm in the process of doing that today. As I have some...
  4. 8

Porting stock style cast 5.0 exhaust manifolds

Yeah I know all about the tubular ones cracking. I’ve dealt with them as I’ve had three 5.0 expos. The cast ones seem to hold up much better and typically don’t need milling of the surface. I’m going to port as much of the blockage out of the gasket as I can. I’ll post results here. I know for a...
  5. 8

Porting stock style cast 5.0 exhaust manifolds

I'm in the middle of instsalling some ruff stuff shock towers along with some bigger shocks so i figued it'd be a good time to swap to the cast manifolds in my 97 mountaineer. Has anybody tried porting these? If so any problems with cracking? I'm sure they'll flow better and yeild a little...
  6. 8

Underdrive pulley

This was the one i installed on my 93. I also installed a smaller alt pulley i got from a local alternator shop. It definitly helped with power. As to how much i have no clue. I did a throttle body mod, 5.0 maf, phenolic intake spacer and Underdrive pulley's all at the same time. And it was a...
  7. 8

After Market Bumpers

I build my own bumpers for all my rigs as well as my customers. I stil have to add some skid plates to my mountaineer.
  8. 8

Trans rebuilder says M5R1's only last 3-5 years...

Did you install a motorcraft clutch slave? This helped my hard shifts quite a bit. My tranny builder who i've had do at least 15 transmission for me said the m5odr1 is a great tranny. He just recommend using a quart or 2 of SAE 30wt oil mixed in with ATF. After i did this it made mine a bit...
  9. 8

Explorer ran for 40k on the wrong firing order

.. No kidding! I didnt do a leak down test but compression numbers were still close all accross the board at acceptable numbers. But yeah i agree it would be a good idea to keep a close eye on those plugs.
  10. 8

Explorer ran for 40k on the wrong firing order

So i went to go change plugs and wires last night on a 96 5.0 and who ever did the plug wires before me got cylinder 8 and 2 mixed up at the coil packs. Plugs from 8 and 2 were a tad damp and smelled more like gas then the other cylinders but werent completely fouled up. I did a compression...
  11. 8

Door striker nuts fell into body

thanks Don! I peeled back the trim piece and could see the little access hole into the caged nut area. That will hopefully be my access to getting the nuts out that fell below as well.
  12. 8

Ill share my mistakes so others don't make the same.... Heres what happens when you rush welding to sheet metal. I should have changed my wire size but I rushed myself to get it to the dezert. Second pic is of the nut tab I'm talking about adding through another hole i'll have to cut. I do...
  13. 8

So while attempting to replace all 4 striker bushings, the two rear striker nuts fell into the body when i removed the striker bolts. I was in a hurry as i was loading my expo onto the trailer for a Desert run that day so i just welded the strikers to the body. Id like to fix it right so its...
  14. 8

Headman headers

Nice that should yield a strong running 4.0. Im doing an exhaust this summer. I did a simple magnaflow muffler with a turn down to make room for my rear suspension but need to do the rest of the exhaust. Going to do my best to keep it mellow as I like how quiet and balanced these 4.0's run. I...
  15. 8

Headman headers

Last year I did do a under drive pully, phenolic intake spacer, Hurst shifter and the rig feels quite a bit faster. Dont have the motivation to build my dream motor with such a perfect running motor at the moment.
  16. 8

Headman headers

I have not purchased them yet. Still collecting all the parts for my motor Build.
  17. 8

Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex)

Looks good dude. Hopefully ill see you at KOH . not sure if ill have my expo or courier.
  18. 8

Questions about a Built OHV on Nitrous?

Hey @boominXplorer did you go with forged pistons?
  19. 8

Hoping JD242 chimes in. Most of my research has been his experience.
  20. 8

Ok thanks 974x4blacksport ill make sure to consider top gap when setting up. I was planning on stock rebuilt injectors as they can supposedly handle up to 300hp and stock tuning/timing. Unless I can find someone local to Sacramento who can tune these old turds. I like the idea of the dry zex...
  21. 8

Dana 35/ 44 hybrid simplified

He said he used the "d35 alignment shims" so I'm guessing he used the camber bushings from the 35 and used the word shim to confuse us . This is amazing news . I'm definitely going to try it . I had to modify my wheel bearing spindle nuts to get them to stay tight. I still have to check my...
  22. 8

Hey all, I know a few on here have done it. few questions for those that have.... I'd rather not spend the money on arp studs if its not needed. What head bolts are people running that are working well? What brand 90-94 pistons do you recommend? Will factory piston rods hold up? What dyno...
  23. 8

Conversation Time!!! SAS or TTB?

For the terrain you describe you'll be fine on 35's with a d35. People run 35's quite a bit and do fine. Just make sure to tac weld all the ujoimt caps or run full circle clips. I went through the work to do full circle clips and wish i just tac welded as it took way to many hours to do them...
  24. 8

Conversation Time!!! SAS or TTB?

Well I'm up crazy late with a newborn baby so ill play.... I set up suspension for a living. Most of my customers have jeeps, but most of my personal rigs are on beams. I got over the xj/zj thing years ago as I hate the way they handle . And to address your numbers, You have to extend the...
  25. 8

Projectors installed in my 1st gen '93 Limited

Nice looks great thank you
Back