Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Thumping at wheel speed FIXED

So I replaced the left side front wheel bearings, and BINGO that was it. It didn't feel bad at all when on the truck, after removing it, it still seemed ok, but just a little off. So finally after months my explorer is fixed (at least this problem)
  2. N

So I tried putting my 'action cam' around each wheel. Turned out to be a big waste of time, the audio quality was poor, didn't help track down the source. I have since discovered that the noise goes away when making small right turns. Freeway onramp with right curve, or just turning right to...
  3. N

It started one day, but not bad, two days later it was bad and hasn't changed since then. It is possible to be the rear axle bearing, I heard some faint noise from the drivers side rear when on the lift, maybe it only gets bad when loaded down. I do tow a lot that puts a lot of stress on those...
  4. N

Will I be hated. 96 explorer may take trip to metal yard. need something?>

I just called about taking one of my cars in, they said $70/ton. two ton explorer is $140. us dollars. I just sold the 8.8 rear end from one of my old v8 explorers for $150 missing all the brakes. the picknpull gets $200 for them, they are in big demand if they have lockers and 3.73 gears...
  5. N

I've got a thumping coming from my 1998 Explorer with 5.0 AWD. It seems like it is coming from the front. I have spent hours searching and reading mostly explorerforum posts, but others too. The simple case would be a tire was bad, so I swapped tires around, front to back, side to side, and it...
  6. N

1998 Can't stop alarm, car won't start, no keyfob

I got new key fobs, and programmed them to the explorer (i have both a 97 (pre-pats) and 98 (pats), this is the 98), and so now its back as before, since the key fob turns off the alarm. Been too busy trying to catch up from 2 days lost, so have not had time to try and rip out the alarm system...
  7. N

At least i got the horn disconnected now. This must be an non-oem alarm system, since I disconnected the box in the back and it still keep going, and I found a motion sensor behind the console that was flashing (when I moved it), I don't think the oem alarm has a motion sensor. The THEFT light...
  8. N

For some reason, the keyfob today was missing from my keychain, and so I unlock the drivers door with the key and it now sets off the alarm which won't stop no matter what I do. Tried to insert key and turn car on, no luck, no start, manual lock doors, maybe it stopped horn, but still no start...
  9. N

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited

I would not waste the time on the AWD, and go with the true 4x4 setup, in which case, I think I'd just buy a 4.0 4x4, as they are cheap, and then I would find a 2-door. but that is just me. you do what you want, but if time is an issue.. The rwd 5.0's drivetrain are in demand to hotrodders, so...
  10. N

My AWD Isn't...

The 97 and the 98 both are v8 and have the tow pkg, and i've physically read the tag on the rear diff, it is a 4.10 limited slip diff, as stated in the video, i removed the front diff from the 97 about 60k miles ago, There is a front diff in the 98. All I can say is that both of them stuck and...
  11. N

My AWD Isn't...

WTF? Worn out? 97 has 250k miles, maybe worn out..the 98 has 130k worn out already?
  12. N

1998 Mach Stereo Display & Illumination

Here is the update. Turns out the power supply DC-DC converter does not power the button leds. My track tracing was in error. The DC-DC has a 12v input, and puts out -32v, -38v, +5v, +3v. The +5v does go into the board to power one of the led control chips. The power for the leds comes from...
  13. N

I have looked over the faceplate board with a magnifiying glass and see nothing wrong with it. I am trying to trace the led paths, looking to see where the power comes in. Doesn't look easy, there are two 88307a chips that connect to the leds. I can't find anything about them, both the anode...
  14. N

So I asked a guy selling repaired power supplies on ebay, and he said the power supply is only for the clock display, not the buttons.
  15. N

So no answer to the illumination issue? Have same problem with my 98 EB. I just fixed the clock/station display by removing the power supply, but the buttons don't light up. They were flaky before. I want to fix it before I put it all back together. Are their bulbs in the faceplate or...
  16. N

2012 Police AWD 3.7 or a 2003 Sport Trac for towing

I've towed all kinds of stuff for years with my 97 5.0, my latest overload was towing 2 yards of dirt about 50 miles, in fact I could not go on freeway, at more than 40mph it was swaying. btw, using the bumper hitch even. The sport trac looks good for towing, has bigger brakes and longer...
  17. N

My research indicates all explorers are rated to tow 5k with the right gear installed. What I've done is buy another gen2 5.0 awd, one that is pretty much like new with only 135k miles, super clean, eddie bauer, this one a 2000. I can still buy both the ones mentioned above. I'm tempted to...
  18. N

My 97 5.0 has pretty much been beaten to a pulp and I need to replace it until I get my Willys Panel project done. I use my explorer to tow stuff, cars and building materials. I thought about an Expedition, but frankly don't like such a big vehicle which is why I've stuck with the 5.0...
  19. N

Lift Body off frame 99 Explorer

It would not open. The plan is to actually eliminate the small door (as a door) on the drivers side, and put the 2-door door on the passenger side.
  20. N

How different is the back frame of the 2-door? I know they are different with the gas tank location, but if I use the 2 door body back, isn't that going to mount to the 2 door frame? The front of the frames are the same, right, so the 4 door body should mount to the 2 door frame in front...
  21. N

Yeah, did think of using the 2 door backend, but I do like the shorter front doors of the 4 door. I use the explorer to tow cars mostly and haul stuff, and I always have to manuever in tight spaces, so a shorter door helps along with the shorter wheelbase. What I'm thinking now is to use the...
  22. N

A search didn't reveal much on how to go about this. I have a 99 4-door eddie baur 5.0 that I am planning to shorten and put on a 99 2-door chassis. My $100 99 2-door has no engine trans and would cost $400 to register again from fees and penalties, and has already had a lot of parts removed...
  23. N

To Build or buy?

Sounds like your motor is just tired not damaged. Rebuild yours would likely cost less, and doing so employs local workers. I'd go with a supercharger if I could afford it and was smog legal.
  24. N

96 vs 98 5.0 egr

Thanks, that is what I figured, just want to make sure. So now I'm thinking I need to get a pre-96 2-door Sport for the V8. Is the first generation basically the same, so the v8 will fit if I swap everything, wiring, dash, etc?
  25. N

96 vs 98 5.0 egr

I've got a 96 explorer 5.0 that I am wanting to swap into a 2000 sport. I'm in California, so the engine swap rules say only the same or newer year engines can be swapped into a vehicle, and the vehicle must be taken to a BAR inspector to verify the engine swap. The 96 engine is older than the...
Back