Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

No power when pedal pressed, and then would take off on it’s own..

This sounds like a Mass Air flow sensor failure. Get some MAF cleaner (not carb cleaner) and spray on the sensor and see if that makes a difference or change your MAF sensor. If know someone with one, you can swap it to test.
  2. J

Engine Swap 3.5 to PI 3.7 successfully

Sorry.. I have been away for a while. Since the swap the Explorer is still running strong. My only issues are not related to the engine swap. Instead its the dreaded power steering failure.. even after Ford changed the rack and pinion. I am debugging that though and testing from software...
  3. J

Hi, it has to be one from an explorer police version. F150, mustangs, won't work. The only thing that was different was the coolant line from a later model.. which can be capped since its not used with a 2011 harness, 2 sensors and move exhaust manifold bolts. In all honesty it was a very...
  4. J

Want to install roof rails or cargo carrier

The OP doesn't have roof rails.. he is trying to mount directly on top of the roof. I would recommend at least getting the rails. The rails bolt into specific re-enforced structure points that can handle weight. From there you could technically put a cargo carrier and bolt it directly to the...
  5. J

3.5L engine removal from the top?

This is probably the best video I found that goes through the process. You can remove the front metal bumper though. Its tack welded, then bolted from factory. It makes it way easier with the metal bumper off.
  6. J

Hi, I wanted to provide some insight if need to replace your engine. I successfully swapped my 2011 explorer 3.5 NA with a 3.7NA from a 2016 PIU Explorer. After lengthy research of the 3.7 the only difference is the bore size, to give it more power. The ECU, injectors, coilpacks, fuel rails...
  7. J

3.5L engine removal from the top?

You can absolutely remove the engine from the top. It is no more complex then removing any other motor. In fact its probably easier because once you remove the front bumper cover, metal bumper and radiator support, the whole front is open.
  8. J

Front cover oil leak

There are no gaskets on the oil pan or timing cover. It is RTV gasket maker. Its not very strong from the factory either. There are multiple locations on the timing cover and oil pan, that should have required more RTV. That is probably where you were leaking from.
  9. J

Explorer 3.5 NA Oil Pan Removal and Install Information

Hi Everyone, There doesn't seem to be a lot of information regarding the oil pan on the 3.5l motors so I wanted to provide some. I have over 100k mile on my 2011 XLT 4wd Explorer and I could hear the rattle of a main bearing. Now, I run Mobile 1 and do regular maintenance so I am not sure why...
  10. J

5th Gen Explorer With LED Light Bar

For my 2011, I run a 20" light bar on the bottom grill in the middle of the fog lights (grill removed). Depending on the light bar you get, you can mount it with the pre-existing screw taps on the bottom of the metal bumper and you don't need to drill anything. My light bar had slider mounts on...
  11. J

Anyone ever just hung new brake pads

I have changed my front pads without doing anything to the rotors and haven't had any issues.
  12. J

Headlight upgrade-update/review

For the LED's I believe he means the Conversion bulbs (9005) that you can now buy from amazon. Here's an example...
  13. J

Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer !

I am over in the Sonoran Desert. I am pretty sure the rough roads are similar. When I got into the soft stuff it was off the trail. I had to drive through back to trail. I can say I have confidence when off road in this area, with the explorer now. It also has been great in Monsoon weather...
  14. J

Shopping around for a SUV, suggestions please?

Did you just say..tow a jeep with your explorer for offroading? lmao! For my .02$, when we were deciding on an SUV, I also looked at the market for an everyday comfortable yet off-road capable SUV. With some of the SUV's it seemed dumb to me that I would still have to get a cargo carrier...
  15. J

Plasti dipped grille

I plastidipped my grill also. It looks great on black on black. I took my grill off to dip. If you want to make it look glossy, just use a can of glossifier on top.
  16. J

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

This actually happens to a lot of new cars. The smell is caused by the catalytic converter, but it is NOT broken. In fact, the bad smell is a sign that the converter is working quite well. It doesn't need to be fixed, and the smell will go away with time. "So what is that awful smell? It's...
  17. J

Blacked Out & Whited Out Gallery

You guys should plasti dip your rear bumper reflectors.
  18. J

Hello...new member

Hello, I am new to the site. And fairly new to the explorer. I had a 500hp 335i coupe and decided it was time to get a vehicle better suited for the family and our many travels. So I started looking at SUVs...I looked at tahoes, expeditions, armadas, etc. as big as they were I was shocked to...
Back