Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

1998 Ford Explorer question

Have you checked for fuel or spark when this occurs? check the coil pack for rust/and good ground if a spark issue, check fuel pump if no fuel.
  2. E

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Traced the clunk in the front end to a broken sway bar link. Replaced both sides and checked the brake linings and rotors.
  3. E

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

I got tired of waiting for a nice day and decided to address the leaking front shocks. While I was taking things apart I checked the brakes and the ABS sensors. Rust made things a challenge as the bolts had rusted to new random sizes. Resurfaced the rotors and cleaned up the pads, put shocks...
  4. E

T/S causes buzzing right turn position

I took mine apart while waiting for the new one to arrive, and ended up fixing. Hindsight, just replace, not worth the PITA to repair.
  5. E

T/S causes buzzing right turn position

Multifunction switch. my 98 did the same thing. I bought one on ebay that I still have. I took the original apart, the contacts were all corroded. Cleaned it all and works great. A bit tricky to get all the pieces back in correctly."][/URL]
  6. E

Bolt on 70mm Throttle body

I followed the airbox modification with a throttle body upgrade. I found a 70mm bolt on on Ebay made by Blowfish Racing, no modification needed for the throttle cable or TPS. My old throttle body would stick near idle and I figured bigger is better. The new TB matched the intake at 70mm...
  7. E

First car, and what a steal.

Congrats on the new mountaineer, sounds like you got a deal.
  8. E

Problems with dash lights.

It is a bit unusual. I think the dial light on the radio is pretty common and probably unrelated to the dash issue. I would suspect a grounding issue in the cluster, but hard to armchair diagnose. a electrical diagram and some testing would probably narrow it down a bit.
  9. E

In dash Cd not playing

Did you try another disc? is disc clean? Some disc are not good from the package. Cd player is not reading the disc, either not spinning up or not spinning fast enough. Possible laser is not working properly to read TOC information I would look for another head unit if other discs won't play...
  10. E

cruise control and horn - how are they connected?

I would check the horn, horn relay and power. The horn button provides ground to the horn relay. My horns had quit and it was the horn itself. You may have a open ground to the horn button in your case.
  11. E

Some MODs today... Swiss Cheese, silencer, silencer panel and K&N .. SOTP=YES!!!

I did the air cleaner mod today, used a larger bit and a few less holes. I had already replaced the airfilter with k&n, while I am not sure it gained any HP it sounds a whole lot better.
  12. E

Removed my multifunction switch, repaired it and reinstall. now all blinkers and four ways work as they should, no more buzzing and intermittent operation. Repaired wiring at trailer harness so my trailer lights would work.
  13. E

Why did you buy your truck?

Originally had been looking for a 4x4 extended pickup F150 to use as a second winter/haul vehicle. The price of used trucks in poor condition was a bit too high. I found my 1998 v8 awd with 53k miles for a good price in need of some repairs. Now after a bit of work, I have a good winter ride...
  14. E

I replaced the abs sensor on the rear axle, although it did not solve my abs issue. I removed and replaced my malfunctioning horns.
  15. E

Photos Lets see those 2nd Gen EX/Mounty

Just picked this up and still working on it, 1998 5.0 AWD 53k miles
  16. E

Post pictures of your truck with auxiliary lights

Replaced fogs with driving lights and installed 20" light bar behind bumper
  17. E

Drivers side lock button not working

I will be following this with interest, I have the same issue with mine. I swapped the switch. poked around a bit and let it go as i use the fob or the keypad.
  18. E

Finished the wiring for the new fog lights and light bar. Investigated a leak under the front corner, found a leaking shock absorber.
  19. E

fog light assemblies rusting through - any aftermarket upgrades?

The light bar throws a lot of bright light, the spread is pretty good. It was a pretty cheap unit but I am pleased with it, worth the 30 bucks. I was advertised as fog/flood. I will try to get some pictures at night.
  20. E

New Explorer owner!

Welcome John! Are you going to put HF or VHF in the explorer? I had thought of fitting a dual band radio in the center console in my 98.
  21. E

fog light assemblies rusting through - any aftermarket upgrades?

I had the same issue on my 98, I made new brackets and mounted some driving lamps I had bought for another vehicle, not a perfect fit but much better than the stock units.
  22. E

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Thank you for providing me the missing step, that helps. I also noticed I posted my 1998 in the wrong area anyway.
  23. E

Show off your Wheels

Thanks 1996EB, I thought they may have been from a F150 but now I know!
  24. E

LED lights for Instrument Cluster

They dim a bit in the cluster and the climate controls, but not like the original bulbs. I'm not sure it is due to LEDs putting more light out or resistive dimming not having enough draw. I have turned mine all the way down and it is ok due to color choice and I like it a bit bright.
  25. E

Show off your Wheels

These came on the truck, they cleaned up well so I'm happy with them. Not sure if stock or an option
Back