Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

New exhaust

Hi gang, long time since my last post. Have been going through an extended layoff and didn't have much to say. Had to replace my muffler/tailpipe back on December 21st. The muffler finally gave up and split a seam after only 147K miles! I went back with the same dual 2 1/4" inlet, single 3"...
  2. T

Your thoughts and Opinions on Building a 5.0

Hey JT: I've been running a "ghetto" huge GM dual in/single out system since late 1998. I love the way it works and sounds and haven't seen a need to change!
  3. T

cant get rid of this miss.. help

A leaky exhaust header can cause a noticeable miss, especially under acceleration. I had a bad miss under acceleration on my 1998 5.0 Ex. I found that the EGR tube fitting had cracked loose on my FMS headers and that the accordion tube running from the header to the EGR valve had deteriorated...
  4. T

5.0 Exhaust Thread

410: Hey, I'm not looking for an argument, I just don't agree on this one point. I have been building Fords since 1973, both carbed and FI. The engine has had a chip in the past, but I have gone back to the stock PCM. (I got tired of buying $$ premium!) My FMS headers give me more backpressure...
  5. T

5.0 Exhaust Thread

I just can't agree with this statement, I've been running the 3" pipe from the muffler for too long with too good a result, for over 8 years now. I free rev to 6K plus without any struggle from the engine, and I still snap heads back off idle. Maybe if I had taller tires I would agree, but my...
  6. T

Coil pack issue?

I've heard of too many issues with Bosch plugs. Go with Motorcraft or Autolite double platinums. I personally have had great results with Taylor SpriroPro wires.
  7. T

What a fun weekend... EGR tube*#&>@^

I do have headers, just not the Torquemonsters. I bought the stainless Ford Motorsport units back in 1998 when they where the only game in town. They aren't as nice as the TM's, but with the massaging and clean up of them that I did I believe they are a major improvement over the stock tubular...
  8. T

What a fun weekend... EGR tube*#&>@^

Well, I had everything together to fix an old problem that has been a question mark for me for quite some time. To put the story into context, you need a little background information before I begin: Back in 1998 when I bought the X new, I decided that a phenolic spacer would be a nice addition...
  9. T

Where is this leak coming from (pics)

My '98 has had the same issue since I bought it new. I even had the rack changed under warranty back years ago, both have leaked a little bit, but it takes a very long time before I need to add fluid, like once every 18 months to 2 years. I've always figured mine was due to the high RPM's I run...
  10. T

expected power/response difference?...

Just off the cuff I'd say 235-245 HP at the crank. Sounds like a good set of mods, except I've had issues with Bosch plugs. Most people will tell you to either use Motorcraft or Autolite double platinums. Why are you going with the monster fuel pump? Are you planning on big power adders later...
  11. T

Cathalitic converter blocked ??

My secondary cats "disappeared" one day about 4 months ago, it was one of the best things that ever occurred on my truck. Better throttle response and mileage. I've had no issues at all from this.
  12. T

How to: How To: Transfer Case Fluid Change (Photo thread)

I switched over to Mobil 1 ATF in my X about 3 months ago. It is indeed Mercon V rated.
  13. T

Car shakes when steering at low speeds

I must vote for air in the lines from whatever source. I would also recommend a fluid change to synthetic ATF. If you have significant miles it would be wise to change the fluid and the syn might just keep you unit alive longer. The syn will be less prone to foaming as well.
  14. T

Getting Used 99 Mounty 5.0 have a few questions

I must agree with Jon. The synthetics made a huge difference in the feel and performance of my X. I'd do the switches as soon as possible, fuel has gone up about 40 cents a gallon in the last two weeks around here. Hmmm...crude oil has been dropping in price at the same time. Go figure. I guess...
  15. T

Manaen: Mobil 1 ATF is indeed Mercon V rated. When I did my X I dropped the lower transmission cooler line and used shop air to push all the fluid through the lines and back to the trans where it drained out with the rest of the fluid. I cleaned the pan out well and got all the gunk off the pan...
  16. T

The second gen X's with 5.0 and AWD do great towing. You should have no issues at all. I would recommend replacing all the fluids in the truck with synthetics, if for no other reason than to get the lower friction and improved mileage.
  17. T

00 Stang GT rims with 275/60/17 ?

Go for it! You may have some rubbing of the sway bar on the front at full lock turns without spacers. You can get spacers from Explorer Express for a reasonable price if you do rub. I haven't had any issues with the 275/55R-17's on Cobra R's on my truck when using 3/8" spacers on the fronts. You...
  18. T

Oil in my water reservoir

You might want to drop your transmission pan ASAP to see if there is any coolant present. If so, get the radiator fixed ASAP. If I were forced to bet, I would say your transmission cooler in the radiator has a leak. This is definitely less painful than a transmission replacement.
  19. T

Miss at low RPM and heavy load...solved!

Hey guys! I have good news. I finally seem to have put to rest a problem that has been dogging me for years...literally! The low to moderate RPM and high load miss I have been experiencing for the longest time seems to be gone. I installed a new Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor and a new fuel filter on...
  20. T

carbon build up

I believe a caravan is a travel trailer. 4.5 thousand kilometers would be about 2800 miles. PULP is an Australian acronym meaning Premium UnLeaded Petrol, or good old premium fuel. Australia's 95-98 octane would be 90-93 octane here in North America. Sea Foam would be much more effective at...
  21. T

5.0 Exhaust Thread

Jamie: My X has almost the exact same pipe arrangement as your X. In particular from the pre-cats to the muffler. These are aluminized steel. The muffler is an aluminized Dynomax for a big block GM that is similar to Jon's with dual 2 1/2" inlets and a single 3" outlet. My 3" diameter tailpipe...
  22. T

Switching To Amsoil Synthetic

I researched this oil leak issue a few years ago after a 1996 Contour 2.5L 24V DOHC I have started leaking from the crank seals when I switched it to Mobil 1 for the first time at 116K miles when I bought it from the company I worked for. This is about the only scenario where there can be a leak...
  23. T

5.0 mileage

The cat fairy took away my rear cats and I got no code. There is nothing that can detect that the rears are gone, so there won't be an issue. The rear cats being gone really improved my driveability. I concur on the EGR. Back in the 1970's EGR was a hindrance, but with the computer controls we...
  24. T

Just got a set of Eagle Cobra R Replicas...

The only rub I have ever had was a slight tire rub on the sway bars at full lock turn without the spacers on the front. This is with FMS #M-1007-R58 Cobra R's with the 5.98 inch backspacing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same offset (or at least with a millimeter of the offset)...
  25. T

need help from V8 Guys

A lift bracket, perhaps? I haven't had the original manifolds on the truck since it had about 200 miles on it back in 1998. It could well be close from the factory, these engines are little on the tight side as far as fit is concerned.
Back