Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

timing chain tensioners

Here's my preventative maintenance: I'm planning to pull the engine on my '10 explore this summer when it's warm outside and replace all timing chain components, front and back, with Cloyes or Motorcraft parts @ 160k miles. Tensioners alone are a bandaid; won't avoid a catastrophic fail. I have...
  2. D

2010 Explorer, 172k. Should I do the tensioners?

I have two 4.0L Explorers (3rd & 4th gen). Ford upgraded the tensioners (can’t remember what year), it didn’t solve the problem with timing chain failures. Not worth the effort or expense, IMHO. If you love the truck, body in great shape, and want to keep it for years, then replace both front...
  3. D

How to: Red Neck Easy Fuel Pump - No tank Drop Explorer 4th Gen

Suggest you replace filter neck instead : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWCX8BS/?tag=serious-20
  4. D

4.0 SOHC fuel injector o-ring question

I don't remember. I probably saved an old injector as a spare, but it's not handy to examine it until tomorrow. Let me know if you'd like me to check then.
  5. D

How common is the wheel bearing issue

Stop replacing them in pairs. Waste of money. There is no efficiency gain by replacing two at a time. This is a job you can do in your driveway or garage (I have, three times over the years for my two explorers). If the mechanic talked you into replacing them in pairs, go to a different...
  6. D

How common is the wheel bearing issue

You're replacing them in pairs ("sets")? Why? How many miles on your 'sploder? I've replaced each front bearing once on my '02 2wd which has 225k miles. (Each went bad a little over 195k.) Replaced one on my 4wd '10 'sploder @ 135k. I don't believe 2wd/4wd makes a difference. I used WJB heavy...
  7. D

Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

It'll pull a pop-up camper no problem. Good luck; enjoy. PS, front tire pressure recommendation is 30 lbs (I think), which you should closely follow. (Double check.) Rear tires are higher. When they redesigned the front suspension in '06 MY they changed this.
  8. D

Are you sure it's the OD? Easy way to verify its to turn off OD with the button and see if the hard shift goes away. There's a neat repair for the OD piston wearing out the bore of the aluminum case. I did this to my '02 and it has shifted beautifully for several years, tends of thousands of...
  9. D

You've left out some important info, so hard to advise. How many miles? Body in good shape? Any prior engine work done? And especially, any chain rattle on cold startup? Do you love your SUV? Valve cover gaskets are not a trivial job for DIY on the 4.0 SOHC. It can be done with lots of research...
  10. D

Got it. Main seal is on the rear of the engine/crankshaft. I'd wait until you need to replace the right/rear timing chain/cassette to replace that seal. Just do the valve cover gaskets for now.
  11. D

2008 Ford Explorer 4x4 V8 with 135,000 miles worth buying ?

I did a national craigslist search for a 2010 Explorer V8 4x4 and the pickings are slim, slim, slim! One decent candidate a couple of hours from Las Vegas who wanted at least $10k for 135k (?) miles. . . . Fortunately, car repair is a hobby and I have all the tools to do the 4.0 timing chains...
  12. D

This all sounds right to me. I was in a pinch when I bought my '10 V6, and did not see any suitable V8's around (Detroit). The recent, quality transmission rebuild (with the new servo piston sleeves, new torque converter, etc.) was a big load off my mind, too. And with new timing chains on my...
  13. D

Agree re. the bearings (though they *can* last to roughly 200k miles), but have no experience with the V8/6r60. Do the V8's really have a timing chain issue of their own (I'm *very* familiar with the ubiquitous Cologne V6 timing chain issues, having done the job twice!). Paid roughly $6k for a...
  14. D

IT CAUGHT FIRE!!

Scary! Sounds like the the gas line connector was not properly connected. Triple check this before you restart!
  15. D

Center Brake Light Ballast

Fixed it already, thanks. I had a couple go out, so these were spares. Last time I saw them from Ford dealer they were like$100. I hate to toss them out...
  16. D

Center Brake Light Ballast

I noticed that these are becoming difficult to find new. I just listed two used for sale on ebay, if anyone is interested (I no longer have a 2d gen). Drew. Ford Explorer 3rd Gen Center Brake Light Ballast (Quantity: 2) | eBay
  17. D

trans service

+1. Some Ford dealers will give you a price break on the 5 gal jugs. +1
  18. D

15w40 instead of transmission fluid?

Stick with Motorcraft Mercon V, IMHO. Transmissions are too expensive to mess around with other fluids . . . .
  19. D

Help Selecting a OBD2 scanner

donalds: Thanks a ton of this tip, which did the trick! Stupid hatch glass wasn't fully closed [sheepish grin]. All better now!
  20. D

Help Selecting a OBD2 scanner

Damn! I followed Makuloco's video and I *still* can't find the "door ajar" problem! Even replaced the drivers side door switch (2d time). Wish I had a scanner that could confirm that's the door that's "ajar". The paper clip trick isn't doing it.
  21. D

Transmission died

Best would be to find someone who faced a decision similar to your's a year or two ago (with preferably a more recent year), paid for a quality rebuild, and now wants to sell it (to you)! I still have my '02 (daily driver, basically) with over 210k miles. I swapped the engine when I bought it...
  22. D

t-case fluid

As covered extensively on other thread(s), Ford has "obsoleted" the XL-12 "Transfer Case Fluid" (per Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor, MI) and now specifies Mercon LV for our transfer cases. Just don't put it in the transmission . . . .
Back