Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Dave Z Album

Dave Z Album

2. Z

Changing serpentine belt on a 4.6

Relayed this info to my friend and he replied: "If i turn counterclockwise, I would increase the pressure on the belt. I would need to go clockwise to release the tension, pushing the pulley down as my belt runs up and over the pulley. Plus, unless I can really really move that pulley, there...
  3. Z

So no need to remove any other parts like fans etc?
  4. Z

Hi all It has been a long time since I have visited as I sold my Explorer a while back. But a friend of mine has a 2004 Mountaineer with the 4.6 v8....he was looking to change his serpentine belt but it appears to him that the shroud and maybe the fan has to come off. Or that the...
  5. Z

New Body lift and Tires, more

If you mean the loer most part, the rocker panel right in front of the wheel well, wlecome to the club. Just about every 92-94 Explorer with factory ground effects I have seen has this in some degree. Before I traded in my 94, I had a moderate case of it. All you can do is cut out the...
  6. Z

Need front brake specs

Hi all... I have sold my Explorer but am working on cleaning out the garage.... I recently bought a Central digital brake rotor gauge on ebay and I am checking some old rotors from my Explorer..... The inspection station told me they were scrap -- I had just had them turned and...
  7. Z

It has been fun, y'all....

Its cool to see another Durango owner hanging out here..... :) DZ
  8. Z

Well, the 5.9 in my Durango gets between 10 and 11.5 around town so far......the X was getting about 11-12 From what I have been told, the Hemi gets 1 or 2 mpg more and has 100 more HP and 50 ( or ft-lbs more torque....definately a jump..... But I agree...the HEMI setup is TIGHT in the new...
  9. Z

<grin> Yeah, the 04s are kinda ugly IMHO....I waas told by a salesman that he and his cohorts put a new Hemi Ram next to a 5.9 Ram and raced....The 5.9 won.... Plus, I would never buy the first year of a major redesign....too many bugs to work out.... Now, I recently test drove a Nissan...
  10. Z

No, the hemi is new for Durangos in 2004.... I have the 5.9 and 3.92 rear end... I dont like the looks of the 04 Diurango...yuck.
  11. Z

....well, I will be trading in my 94 X for an 03 Durango today...... While I have liked and STILL like the Explorer, the looks of it, the ride of it, I have been sinking WAY too much money into repairs on it.....I got about $3,000 in trade, what I owed to the bank.....of course I still have...
  12. Z

Selling my Explorer...maybe

Anyone know what the private party market is for our Explorers?? i have a 94 XLT....99k miles, 4.0 engine with towing package, new 30x9.50 tires, Warn manual front hubsnew drums/rotors/brakes, 1 year old dynomax exhaust, new upper/lower balljoints, front ujoints, nice interior, new radiator...
  13. Z

I recharged my Ac But......HELP

Re: accumulators I couldnt find my AC leak and found this site a little while back....tore out my air box etc to egt to the accumulator at all sides...peeled off the blanket, and nothing....completely clean and new.... Considering the weird and inconvenient spots I am seeing rust on this...
  14. Z

POS Ford! Headlight fix!

"POS" --- perspective (long) <grin> ALthough, like I said, I wouldnt quite call my Explorer a POS yet, with all the repairs *I* have had I am getting close... Folks need to be not quite so sensitive and understand that everyone doesnt enjoy wrenching every weekend or spending money every...
  15. Z

POS Ford! Headlight fix!

I think all 3 have some good ones... My Dodge Dakota goes like a raped ape off road.....she hasnt done much lately, though...she is my pretty little garage queen.... :) I think" the Explorer is number one in its class" has nothing to do with offroad capability and more to do with "itll...
  16. Z

5R55W Tranny lubed for life & no dipstick?

Re: Install a dipstick? I agree on the dipsticks part.... :) I dunno...I am not familiar with this transaxle.....cant seem to locate anywhere a dipstick "should" go.....it is so tight under that hood though I may have missed the spot.....I can barely get to the fill cap. I still dont...
  17. Z

da Malibu Dunno....its a 98 Malibu with the 4cylinder.... I have seen some folks online with problems....but I dunno....the car has 75k on her and runs like a top (knock wood, sprnkle salt over right shoulder).... DZ
  18. Z

My wife's Malibu is set up EXACTLY this same way....The tranny has a fill port (barely accessible) but no freakin dipstick to check levels or anything...makes no sense to me.... They say the tranny fluid is good for 150k miles....ok, so what then?? Trash the tranny and buy a new one...
  19. Z

New with a couple suggestions needed.

chain versus small place I echo the "not a chain" sentiment... The stainless steel muffle for my Dakota was covered under lifetiome warranty...I walked into Meineke with my replacemen tand said "how much to install" and they wanted Over $100!!!! (the old one iwas welded in by THEM when it...
  20. Z

stumble on hot restart

Re: Probably fuel leak down Thanks for the reply.....I do have a fuel pressure gauge....I guess I will check the pressure as you state......thing is, it doesnt always happen...maybe it IS a leaky injector that is sticking sometimes???? Seems like a FPR would be constant....maybe not...
  21. Z

stumble on hot restart

From time to time, I have a rough idle after retsrating hot.....For instance...I drive about 10 miles, park it, come back in 10-15 minutes and when I start her up she stumbles and ALMOST feels like a miss.....After letting it idle or just driving for a bout 30seconds or so it clears up...
  22. Z

New with a couple suggestions needed.

Watch for fuel seepeage from the top of the fuel tank...it could be your steel fuel line(s) itno the fuel pump about to pop.... It happened to me on vacation this past september. $450 in tows and $450 in repairs. And, as you have read, the tranny -- mine died at 70k miles on vacation 3...
  23. Z

Take your Ex for a drive

Yeah, its pretty nice... We did the drive when we were evacuated from teh OBX in September and didnt want to completely scrap our vacation.... Nice ride......would have been BEAUTIFUL on my motorcycle.... :) DZ
  24. Z

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

2x4 vs 4x4 Weight. Lots of added weight.
  25. Z

Gas Mileage..help

I was faced with the same issue, except for work. I now get 40 mpg......I parked my Explorer and commute on my Honda Shadow.... <grin> I know thats not what you are looking for, but thebest you will do is maybe 1-2 mpg with hopups.... Drive very gently and maybe a tad more, but come...
Back