Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

List of Useful Threads 3.5L Water pump replacement - Gotchya's

Can't recall what I wrote......may go back and read it again later but wanted to share my immediate thoughts. You don't need two (2) bolts per phaser....if I said that it's not right. You need two (2) of each bolt type....so two (2) short phaser bolts (intake on each bank) and two (2) long...
  2. M

PTU and Rear Diff Fluid Change - 2011 Explorer XLT

Been a while and don't have time to go dig up the details at the moment (will do that when I get a chance), but from memory. There is a crush seal between the PTU and the Tranny. There are two seals (the same p/n) mounted back to back in the PTU close to the tranny that the drive shaft runs...
  3. M

found a shot of the backside once removed ....only 5 bolts
  4. M

I had a difficult time finding that top bolt, but once it was off it came out with very little resistance
  5. M

Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement

This was very helpful.....I was trying to figure out the best approach....went with this and had the sensor changed in about 2 hours. I thought it'd take a lot longer. My problem was oil started leaking straight through the sensor?? It was quite the leak.....just streaming through it like it...
  6. M

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Not sure if this will help you but here is what I needed on my 2013 last summer. 1 Waterpump - -------------ac delco----------252955--------$59.78 2 Valve cover gasket kit - mahle -----------vs50722 -------$54.78 3 timing cover seal -------- mahle-----------67616---------- $6.51 4 timing chain...
  7. M

2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue

do you mean you've replaced it 5 times.....or had it give you trouble 5 times?
  8. M

PTU/Trans Leak Passenger side Axle

with my luck that would work and fix the gear oil leak...then I'd promptly have a problem with the axle seals upon re-installation of the axle. But definitely doable.
  9. M

True....you can do the PTU seal with the PTU in the truck. Watched a couple of online videos and they have a special tube you use to seat the seal. Probably can do it without the special tool with some help. I may break down and do that at some point...on the rainy day list.
  10. M

is it gear oil or tranny fluid? Either way its a big job. If it's tranny fluid the seal inside the shaft/gear on the blue shop towel are leaking. The axle shaft goes through this into the tranny. If it's gear oil then the seal on the PTU cover (on the ground behind the blue towel) is leaking...
  11. M

Foul odor (not exhaust related)

check to see if gear oil is leaking out of the PTU onto the exhaust...have experienced that. Not exactly garbage smell, but an unpleasant propane burning smell.
  12. M

@limited3.5....I had a version number 3 in your list above and it started to leak at 118,410 miles. It never leaked into the oil, strictly out the weep hole above the alternator. So from what I can tell the journal seal on the water side gave out but the seal on the oil side held....which gave...
  13. M

Anyone know what this button is for?

Looks exactly like the KARR alarm module that came in my daughters civic (i hate that thing...false alarm after false alarm....then to let you know it went off the horn chirps 3 times when starting annoying all the neighbors).
  14. M

water pump

Thanks....read it again and realized I missed the word consumer...so I thought it read....I don't see many water pump failures...he see a lot more PIU failures. throw the word consumer in there and it makes sense. my bad
  15. M

water pump

I'm brain dead this AM...what's a PIU? The only thing that comes to mind is police interceptor unit.!
  16. M

PTU and Water Pump failures for 2012/2016-up Explorers?

I have a 2013 and the water pump failed. Seal on water side gave out and journal path to weep hole over the alternator started to leak coolant.....didn't take long to go from a small leak to pissing out...maybe 25 miles of driving. Link to notes on my mistakes while changing... List of Useful...
  17. M

Tough call.....but I think i'd do it. The timing kit came with a wide chain, double gear on water pump, and wide crank gear. But not new (wide tooth phasers) which I believe are about $100 a pop. My materials cost about $600....adding in the phasers would push that up to $800. Assuming you don't...
  18. M

A couple of clarifications... I think blwnsmoke is referring to the rows of teeth on the water pump gear, not the number of gaskets. And blwnsmoke's note about 2011 through 2015 being a single gear doesn't match what I found. His note about a change in MY2012 does make sense because in my...
  19. M

Good idea to get other quotes.... But you mention timing chains and if you're doing that I'll share my parts costs for the same job..... Waterpump - ac delco 252955 $59.78 Valve cover gasket kit - mahle vs50722 $54.78 timing cover seal - mahle 67616 $6.51 timing chain kit...
  20. M

So my comment in RED is wrong.....that silver shaft you see in the middle of the red circle is the pivot the guide slides over and just below that you'll see the grey bolt that holds it in place. I believe once you remove that bolt you can slide the guide out from its pivot shaft no problem. But...
  21. M

I just used a jack with a piece of wood on it under the oil pan to hold it up...worked fine. So here is the problem. See the black guides for the main chain in the pic below....they go over the waterpump so you need to remove them to get the pump out. But only one of them can be removed without...
  22. M

Highest Mileage 5th Generation Explorer

Just proves if you take care of your fluids things should go well. I was going to do the same as you on the PTU.....try to change the fluid frequently to deal with the face cream. Ended up taking it apart and cleaning it out....putting in a drain plug, new seals, and will keep fresh gear oil...
  23. M

Makes sense since he mentioned off road and beach.....didn't pay attention to that comment as much as I should have. Wow....200k on a PTU and water pump...that's awesome.
  24. M

Not sure if I understand which engines are offered in which models/years etc...So I'm not sure if you have a 3.5NA or the I-4....I think the those were both available in the Limited in certain years. Since you didn't mention PTU or water pump I'm guessing I-4. Which engine do you have?
Back