Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Wheel bearings as good or better than Ford's?

Looking for opinions on wheel bearings - recommendations for bearing brands equal to or better than what you'd get from Ford?
  2. R

How to add a trailer plug to a '99 Explorer Sport?

If everything goes without a hitch maybe but a potential issue is getting to the seller's location and having the deal fall through - car isn't as described, something fishy about the deal you don't find out until you get there, guy gets into a screaming match with his wife because she doesn't...
  3. R

Don't know what the rear end is but I wondered about whether it would be up to it. Most likely will be towing a Corvette on a trailer some unknown distance - still shopping. :) Having the ability to tow will of course increase what deals I can go for. I can get a used pickup for a while just to...
  4. R

Have '99 Explorer Sport, anticipating towing a car, need to add a trailer plug to it, what's involved in doing this? Thanks.
  5. R

Alternator connector glowing red hot after jumping with other battery

My 99 Explorer had been running fine. Tonight I left my lights on, killed the battery - which is about a week old from Walmart. Boosted it with another battery I have that happens to be good. Car fired up but the connection nut with the rubber boot at the top of the alternator started glowing...
  6. R

What causes spark plug terminal to corrode through inside insulator?

Encountered something new. I finally got around to changing the plugs that were in my '99 Explorer when I got it and on one of the plugs when I pulled the boot the plug terminal came with it. Just pulled right out of the center of the ceramic insulator. As it happened when I put a wrench on the...
  7. R

Issue with keyless entry pad on a '99

If there was ever a remote for it I don't have it. Some kind of mechanism failure sounds like a likely culprit.
  8. R

Issue with keyless entry pad on a '99

Recently got a 99 Explorer and tried the keyless entry code. It worked the first couple of times but now the mechanism is firing but the doors aren't unlocking. Wondering if there's any reason besides a malfunction that could be keeping it from opening - some security feature I'm not aware of...
  9. R

Does an extension alter torque wrench reading?

It seems it might make the force applied to the wrench slightly off perpendicular, I was wondering if it affects it enough to throw the reading off enough to worry about.
  10. R

Do you lubricate mating surfaces when torquing nuts?

Title pretty much says it. I've read that lubricating the nut and mating surface causes over-torquing. Some say just the opposite. What do you say?
  11. R

Does an extension alter torque wrench reading?

Getting ready to torque the spindle nut and find that the dishing on the wheels on my 99 Explorer is too deep to use just the wrench and socket. By an extension I mean one like this:
  12. R

Do you use Loctite/Threadlocker on axle hub nut?

No cotter pin on this.
  13. R

Do you use Loctite/Threadlocker on axle hub nut?

When I took it off to change the lower ball joint I don't see evidence of any threadlocker on there but videos I see on Youtube recommend using it. Do you use it?
  14. R

Making upper control arm tight enough

As it turns out the "try another one" part basically does answer it. When I got this car the guy had included 2 new uca's. After wrestling with the first one I took a look at the second arm and realized that even though the size and shape of the control arms are the same there's a big...
  15. R

Making upper control arm tight enough

Working on replacing the driver side UCA on a 99 Explorer - are shims needed to make sure it's tight enough to prevent the bushing case/shells from shifting? As far as I can tell up and down movement of the arm should be from stretch of the bushing material, the outer case shouldn't move. The...
  16. R

Does front/back orientation of upper control arm cam bolt matter?

'99 Explorer - I'm replacing the upper control arms. On the driver side, there's a cam bolt for both bushing ends of the arm. They were both in the vehicle with the cam end toward the shock tower. However it's a huge pain to try and reinstall that way, particularly on the rear bolt due to...
  17. R

How to remove steering knuckle on 99 Explorer w/4WD?

I'm attempting to change the lower ball joint on a '99 - in trying to remove the knuckle I find that the shaft & CV joint is preventing me from lowering the knuckle far enough to get past the thread on the old ball joint. Any suggestions on what needs to be done? This is my first 4wd vehicle...
Back