Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Debating getting rid of my Explorer :/

I'm in the same situation. The repairs are getting to be more and more often on my 98 Sport. Currently the fuel trims are spiking and causing issues, plug/wires are new and no vacuum leaks. I don't know how to fix that. I bought a 2013 F-150 STX to replace to Explorer but haven't sold the X yet...
  2. S

SOLVED software issue fuel trim -100% O2 0.000v

I never posted about it before. I googled it several times but kept getting directed to a couple of common vacuum leaks. I've replaced intake gaskets and the hoses are good, what directed me here was a pending PO171 PO 174 combo that I believe was caused by a clamp I didn't tighten up on the...
  3. S

SOLVED software issue fuel trim -100% O2 0.000v

I don't know how many of you, like me, use real time data to solve problems. Having all of it available certainly helps. FORSCAN can read O2 and fuel trim data on my 1998 Explorer whereas my Actron and Bosch scanners cannot. Those scanners can read the same data from my 1998 Expedition with no...
  4. S

Cyl 1 and 2 misfire

I've been having a minor misfire since I got my 98 Sport three years ago. Short history, I replaced the intake gaskets when it threw PO171 and PO174, had the transmission rebuilt, replaced the throttle sensor and its wiring harness (could not get a steady TPS% reading even with a new sensor)...
  5. S

Secondary transmission filter

Just had my 5r55e rebuilt. Looking at the bill, I'm going to get better gas mileage from not having to lug all that money around. It also indicates that the valve body had clogged up and taken two of the bands with it. They replaced the bands, a OD sprag clutch (not sure what killed that), and...
  6. S

A/C Compressor Repair

I wouldn't mess with it. Instead, I'd spend that money on a recovery machine. The Appion G5 Twin is common and very fast, but expensive. Bacharach's Stinger is slower but fully automated, and you can't go wrong with a Vortex. You will also need access to a vacuum pump... the loaners from...
  7. S

Who does RDS CD/tape combo repair

Is there anyone who still fixes these for less than eBay prices? I pulled mine in favor of a tape only RDS unit that works well. The one I took out has issues with everything, display out, tape and CD player both broke, etc.
  8. S

Pats 2 issues

By the way, when I checked, fuel pressure was 29.5 psi and mass air flow was .3 lb/min. The actual mass air flow value is bad, it is now between .7 and .9 and the sensor is doing its job.
  9. S

Pats 2 issues

I'm going to call this case closed. The vehicle does still try to stall occasionally at low rpm. It died in the driveway yesterday when I backed it up and turned hard out of my parking spot. It didn't have the terrible loping problem this time, it just died when the transmission engaged into...
  10. S

Pats 2 issues

Yep, it's normal. Pulling the vacuum line tests the regulator. If there's no change or if you get squirted with fuel, the regulator is bad. The result I got indicates the regulator is good.
  11. S

Pats 2 issues

I agree. I think it wasn't getting fuel or air either one. Fuel pressure Saturday was 29.5 and went to 40 when I pulled the vacuum line off the regulator. Fuel trim levels are good, meaning no vacuum leaks. That 29.5 reading just screams clogged fuel filter. My mower was doing the same thing, it...
  12. S

Pats 2 issues

Got the codes: B 1371: Illuminated entry circuit failure, was caused by faulty door switches. I replaced them a year ago. B 1834: Door Unlock disarm switch. I noticed a coil of wire on the door cylinder when I replaced the latch mechanism. I think I put everything back but if that coil (an...
  13. S

Pats 2 issues

Oh, yeah I have standard PATS keys also. The keys to my wife's truck and my Expedition are programmed into the Explorer's PCM in addition to it's own keys. A simple mechanical mod enabled them to turn the key switch so they'll all start it. I've turned the switch with the non pats keys before...
  14. S

Pats 2 issues

Oh... I should have the codes available when I pick up the vehicle later today. I'll post them.
  15. S

Pats 2 issues

The engine was loping, that is, the idle was fluctuating by about 1000 rpm up and down. I changed the mass air flow sensor based on advice I found here. That wasn't the problem, so I changed it back and changed the air filter while I was at it. The Haynes book says the air and fuel filter can...
  16. S

Pats 2 issues

The mechanic pulled a bunch of codes from my 98 Sport, all related to Pats 2. Question is this: Can the anti theft system shut the vehicle down while in motion or does it just prevent the engine from starting? Mine had stumbled on acceleration and loped badly with the air filter packed solid...
  17. S

March EF Lottery

I got a couple of photos but I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload them. The last forum I hung out on regularly had a link right there in the reply box that would let me upload image files right into the post.
  18. S

Ballpark cost to replace timing cover gasket

I think I've reached the end of this issue. The truck had four different leaks and the only things NOT leaking were the front cover gasket, head gaskets, and other hard to reach stuff. This leak turned out to be the infamous thermostat housing leak. I said to heck with it and bought the whole...
  19. S

Harbor Freight had a 20% off sale today so I went and bought a hydrostatic test kit (that's the fancy name for the radiator pressure tester). I ran a hydrostatic test on it but I didn't pump it up very high. It holds 4 psi so long as I don't bump the connection between the tool and the radiator...
  20. S

It's leaking coolant from the port on the passenger side of the engine. I replaced the water pump last week since the front seal on it went bad. My main issue was that every time I'd drive it and let it cool off after replacing the pump, I'd find air in the radiator. When I changed the radiator...
  21. S

4L Coolant Gage Fluctuation

Yep, that scan tool is invaluable.
  22. S

Oil change, I know another one.

I change oil and filter about twice a year. It's probably not enough. I run strictly Motorcraft filters because my Expedition requires a weird filter, an FL-500S, that doesn't readily match up at any parts store, and, IMO, it's easier to not have to cross reference anything. I run 10W30 in...
  23. S

Anyone know how many hours "the book" shows to replace the timing cover gasket on a 98 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC. I realize my mechanic's estimate will be different, but I'm wondering what the average is for those who have taken this to a shop. I don't think I can lift the cover back in place...
  24. S

4L Coolant Gage Fluctuation

IMO if it's a Ford, there are certain parts that it only gets Ford variants of. The stat is one of them. My 98 Sport runs between 181 and 192 degrees. At 3/4 of the way up it was over 210. The gauge is set up to stay at a certain point over a range of temps. From 171 to 192 on mine the needle...
  25. S

I overheated it, how fast does it take damage?

It cooled down and I added more coolant, burping the system as much as I could. Temps were 180 to 192 on the test run, usually hovering at 183. It's given me no indication of issues and runs like Forrest Gump. Tomorrow I'll clean up the engine bay and then keep an eye out for leaks.
Back