Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Procarparts & headlights

PCP high? Check this out. For a 1998: http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?ProductName=IPCW+Crystal+Clear+Diamond+Cut+Headlights&productid=109741&producttype=20 For a 1994...
  2. O

diamond headlights???

http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.asp?sku=FD95EP%2D9839HLX
  3. O

Will 255/70R16 tires fit on 16x6.5 rims

You should be ok. Go to www.tirerack.com and do a search on 255/70 16 tires. If you check the tire specs you will see that 6.5" wide is fine for tires of that size.
  4. O

97 X diamond cuts

www.clearlights.com may have them but they are over $200. http://store.yahoo.com/dpstore/accessories-and-euro-lights-custom-head-lights-ford-explorer.html
  5. O

16x7 Rim

Let me amend what I just said, if your overall tire/wheel diameter is approximately 30.5" you shouldn't have a problem. If you go with something like 33's I don't know but I bet it wouldn't fit. I haven't measured the clearance.
  6. O

16x7 Rim

My 1998 Explorer came from the factory with 255/70 16's on 7" wide rims. The spare was the same. If the Sport spare tire well is the same as in the 4 door (which I suspect it is) you shouldn't have a problem.
  7. O

My Lights are Too Bright!!!

I have diamond cuts with a HID bulb conversion on my 1998 and haven't been flashed yet. I aimed them a tad lower because of this concern.
  8. O

97 X diamond cuts

PCP appears to have diamond cuts in stock! FYI. Just visited the PCP site, the red out of stock flag for the diamond cuts is now a blue BUY flag. The price is 144.99. Did not call them, but this may be good...
  9. O

97 X diamond cuts

Draft, Absolutely right! Obviously most would not do what you did! I missed out on the group buy so if I want the diamond cuts I will have to spend more. Personally, I rather spend the extra money than deal with what you did. You did a tremendous favor you were under no obligation to do. Good...
  10. O

Yokohama AVS S/T

I would expect a 45/50 series tire on a 20 inch rim would be extremely harsh on an Explorer. My experience is with 60 series on a 17 inch rim (Shorter sidewall = harsher ride) on an Explorer. Noisy? Not in my case. Factor that in when you weigh these evaluations. Also, it's best to compare...
  11. O

Yokohama AVS S/T

I have them on my 1998 EB Explorer and I have been very happy with the performance and wear. I have 285/60 17's. I intend to replace them when worn with the same tire. For me, a good compromise between street performance and mild dirt/gravel offroad while retaining close to the stock diameter...
  12. O

97 X diamond cuts

FYI. I believe WWW.PerformanceProducts.COM will have them in about a week. However, their price will make you weep...254.95!!! Unbelievable...what a markup!!! A group buy is definitely the ticket here. By the way Draft, you have done an outstanding job on your Explorer. Beautiful!
  13. O

Which air intake kit?

My 1998 SOHC SNAPS!! off shifts at 5800+ when I put my foot into it. This is with the JET Power SHIFT unit turned up to it's maximum setting (STG3). I'll have to make some runs at the stock steeings to get a benchmark. I'll post it in the future. Or.... maybe my tachometer is inaccurate?
  14. O

Street suspension for 97 Eddie Bauer?

One more thing. No offense to you 5.0 Explorer people (They have tremendous potential of course, they can be build to be ferocious) but stock they can't even come close to staying with the 4.0 SOHC mildly modified as I have.
  15. O

Yes to all your questions. I can't give you performance figures but I can tell you that I can easily pull away from a stock 1998 SOHC 4.0 with a 4.10 rearend (my wife's) from any speed. I have walked away from a Minicooper S twice. Not a Cobra beater but definitely a good improvement in...
  16. O

Wheel Spacers?

Have you considered dry fitting the wheels with a stack of washers (just don't drive around with them!). Then when you get the clearance you need just measure the stack. I have H@R spacers on mine. No problems after 80+ thousand miles and the rears are 1 3/4" thick because I have the Eddie Bauer...
  17. O

The Explorer Express swaybars will make a dramatic change. I have a 1998 with the larger front bar so I only needed the rear bar... but what a change! Combined with firmer shocks your Explorer will be fun to drive throught the corners.
  18. O

Opinions on Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks requested

Thanks Rhett, Pmill and again Monmix. I appreciate the response. Eventually I'll make a choice and this has been helpful.
  19. O

Thank you Aldive and Monmix. What I'm looking for is street performance. Firm is ok. The KYB Mono Max I'm currently running are great for handling but bouncy when the pavement isn't smooth. I was wondering if the Edelbrock are less bouncy on pavement that has ridges and dips.
  20. O

Can anyone provide input on the ride and handling characteristics of Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks installed on a 1998X (4.0, 4x4, 4 door)? Currently running KYB Mono Max. Good handling (very firm) but a bit jiggly on some pavement. Vehicle has the usual suspension upgrades (EE sway bar...
  21. O

Hello all. Top speed question.

Hi everyone. Just one question. How can the speed limiter on a 1998 SOHC 4.0 be disabled? My Diablo chip doesn't do it. For track runs of course. Thanks.
Back