Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Oil Gauge clicks at times

You need to realize that it’s not a gauge, it’s the functional equivalent of an ‘ idiot’ light, the sender triggers on and off somewhere around 8 psi. If you have 9 plus psi the ‘gauge’ shows a mid point ‘pressure’, if it drops below the on/ off point the dial drops to zero. It may be trying to...
  2. I

Limited Slip with AdvanceTrac

One question would be the tone ring (wheel speed sensors), and whether they are provided on the Limited slip diff.. Non advancetrac vehicles might use a a rear diff speed sensor instead of individual wheel speed sensors.
  3. I

Traction control?

Not normal as per the overview from Ford manual attached. There are at least four different fused inputs to the ABS/IVD module and only removing fuses seems to disable abnormal activity on my misbehaving Advancetrac. Mine sends Uncommanded brake pulses rather than affecting the engine power. FYI...
  4. I

Traction control?

The circled switch is the secondary sensor, I assume the primary is the one by the arrow. Won’t know if picture is legible til I upload.
  5. I

Traction control?

I’ll see if I can post a photo, I replaced it a couple of years back.
  6. I

Forscan versus dealer software. Are there pids or special functions not replicated in FORSCAN? Does Xtool D8 or D9 offer more than FOrscan ?

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve had both. The full version I’ve used for key programming and for reconfiguring an ABS module from a different vehicle. I’ll probably reactivate the full version and see what PIDs appear.
  7. I

Forscan versus dealer software. Are there pids or special functions not replicated in FORSCAN? Does Xtool D8 or D9 offer more than FOrscan ?

Trying to diagnose Advancetrac issue on 2003 Explorer. Is there more data available than what is available via Forscan? If so what tools …Dealer? Xtool D8 etc. ?
  8. I

Electrical/Computer problem?

Most common trigger for traction control error msgs is a bad wheel speed sensor, after that it gets complicated with various inputs to the ABS/ Advancetrac module.
  9. I

2004 4.0L xlt traction control

There are three fused 12v inputs to my 2002 Advancetrac equipped Explorer. Removing one or more disables either/ or ABS and Advancetrac.
  10. I

Traction control?

May not be relevant but my 2003 Lincoln Aviator Cruise control was inop because a second Brake pressure sensor (on the master cylinder) was stuck. There is a primary and a backup secondary pressure sensor/ switch in that design. FYI Re the part number in the post: This may be the brake boost...
  11. I

2003 Explorer XLT 4.0V6 4WD Automatic - No Start problem

The issue appears to be an engine unable to rotate. As a 4.0 the timing chain issues are in play. If the chain broke and piled up in the gears that may prevent rotation. You’ve already ruled out hydrolock, that suggests a mechanical failure to me.
  12. I

Uncommanded ABS or Advancetrac braking

Ok. 2002 and 2003 ABS with Traction Controls do not interchange with older or newer ABS modules… But I know now that there are 4 separate 12 v inputs to the ABS module. Removing the two sourced from the underhood fuse box disabled the actual Uncommanded brake applications ( sharp shocky...
  13. I

Not useful approach as open diffs allow one front and one back wheel to spin, other to stop. Not analogous to driving with all four wheels on the ground. Even so there was a regular brake pulse being sent through the system although it was not clear which subsystem ABS or Advancetrac was doing...
  14. I

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m going to prop all four wheels off the ground and try to induce the problem when it’s running by manipulating the big wire bundle going to the abs module.
  15. I

2003 Eddie Bauer with AdvanceTrac. Just replaced front differential, so had front hubs removed/replaced. No DTC’s and using Forscan to track all four wheel speed sensors, they all agree. Issue is repeated cycling of brake(s) at speeds above about 15 mph. Turning AdvanceTrac off makes no...
  16. I

Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have...

No plastic oil guard on the V6 oil filter location.
  17. I

The everything Aviator thread.

Not sure about most, but the ‘jump’ you feel may be a problem with the constant velocity joint(s) in your front axles. Good luck.
  18. I

The everything Aviator thread.

My cruise didn’t work until I replaced the (aux brake pressure switch) located on the front of the brake master cylinder.
  19. I

Easy Valve body Gasket Removal or any stuck gasket

5R55S Transmission separator plate bonded gasket remover - the easy way. Tried various chemical removers with little or no success... instead I tried the YouTube boiling water approach, and they came off in essentially one piece after just a few minutes of soaking in boiling water. I had some...
  20. I

How to: SOHC V6 Camshaft Timing

It is 2 5/8” from point of contact to the end of the tool. Remember there is no (spring loaded) plunger involved, it is solid for its entire length. Corrected below... there is a heavier spring (relative to the real tensioner’s) inside this install tool, that preloads the traction side of the...
  21. I

I’m rusty on this but seems that the initial guide position is set and held (while setting camshaft position) with the fake tensioner (a fixed length dummy tensioner), real tensioners (that I have experience with) have an internal spring that will expand them to max length (unless retained by an...
  22. I

I believe the issue you would have is that your installed tensioner will have ‘expanded’ to its maximum travel. Setting the valve timing with it there would not allow it to do its job of exerting pressure on the movable chain guide. It would already be fully extended. The valve timing would be...
  23. I

Fuel System Status ="error" not "open" or "closed

The ‘solution’ was the last noted option in the original thread. “There was only ONE fuel system for my Explorer - I guess some were built with multiple fuel systems but not mine, or most. Ian
  24. I

Megapost on Explorer Transmission Rebuild

I used a bearing puller [the split halves type] to clamp on to the oil pump shaft and then pulled it with the usual two jaw type puller. Worked very well.
  25. I

How to: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair

Short answer on the third generation 4.0 l is yes. In addition to getting the tranny out of the way you will also be removing the 'flex plate' that it bolts to, this gives access to the plug and lower tensioner bolt.
Back