Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

1997 Explorer converted to LED brake lights

I got LED backup lights installed last night. I think I need to clean up some connections. I just wonder if the resistors are worth my time. Right now it is just the warning on the center console. I'll check out what my OEM alarm does with the lights, didn't think about that. I do like that...
  2. B

Desert_AIP, does the warning module still work and tell you if the LED break light is out when you have that resistor? If it does, I guess I should do what you did. If it doesn't I found a wire diagram for the warning module in the center console, I could just bypass the break lights there...
  3. B

Are there wire harnesses that have the resistors built in or is splicing the only way? I'm wondering if the computer can't see the lower wattage LEDs vs a regular incandescent bulb. Tomorrow I'll switch the bulbs back in to make sure the problem goes away. Read another post about the flasher...
  4. B

I just changed out the break light bulbs for LED. I'm talking the middle bulbs, not the reverse, not the blinkers. Everything works. I checked the turn signals, hazards, everything works just fine. I did not change any of the turn signals that would need the resistors. Now the center...
  5. B

96 XLT radio bezel + radio question

Feel below the radio, but above the climate controls. There should be 2 screws. Unscrew them and the whole bezel should pop out about 3 inches. Then you have to unclip the wires from the cigarette lighter by hand. Then pull it out a little further, then depending on your Ex, you have the...
  6. B

Subwoofer power question

Could something be wrong with the charging system? When the Explorer is running so is the alternator. When you do your test with it off, are you in the vehicle with the doors closed and windows up? Do you do the same thing with it running? Is the head unit remote wire just turning on the amp...
  7. B

Explorer Vet Reporting In

Awd My '97 AWD works perfectly. No problems since I bought it in '99.
  8. B

theft light on my 97 sport

Depends on what you mean by 'picked the explorer up'. Sorry, I had to. I googled it and you may want to worry. The anti-theft system may keep it from starting.
  9. B

Hey! Newbie here with a few questions...

My 5.0L Eddie Bauer has 135,000 miles on it. It's dipped down to 16mpg. I've had no major issues with it. My mirrors don't work either. There is a fuse, but mine is good. It has a huge wire harness plug in the drivers door. My next idea was to clean the contacts in that to see if it helps...
  10. B

Extreme Evasive Maneuver Snaps Sway Bar Link!

Sway bar link broken I swear I had the sway bar links replaced on my 1997 Eddie Bauer AWD a few years back. I think mine broke on a big pothole too. I think there was a recall and they were fixed for free.
  11. B

new head unit help?!?

Power Antenna Would it hurt anything by guessing? Just jumping 12 volts to each wire in the wireharness until the antenna goes up? I could start by running the truck with the radio on. Then test each wire in the harness for 12v and lable them. Then test for continuity to ground and...
  12. B

new head unit help?!?

No one knows? I'm still having this problem...
  13. B

new head unit help?!?

97 JBL power antenna turn on wire I'm having the same problem. Did anyone figure this one out? I pulled the radio and both rear amps. I pulled the antenna coax back up under the dash and used a small adapter to plug into my new HU. I can turn on my amp in the back, everything works fine...
  14. B

Serial numbers on 6 disk changers?

Coins in my changer. My changer quit ejecting the cartridge a while back too. I went without it for months. Then my uncle told me he had the same issue. Took it to the dealer and they found a few quarters had dropped into it from the coin holder inside the arm rest. I took mine out and took...
  15. B

Clarion 4/3/2 Channel Amp - Any Good?

Be sure to read Ike Sound's return policy. I'm guessing they are not an autorized Clarion Dealer. I'd just buy the one item to see how they work out. It doesn't say the item is used, referbished or a factory second, but it may be.
  16. B

component speakers?

I would not buy them yet, I would also want to hear them before I ordered them. You will probably turn up the system to hear the subs bump. When you do that you'll send the peak wattage of your HU to your brand new $200 component set and heat them up and fry them. I'd "spend" the $200...
  17. B

Needs help installing a new sub...

You are looking for the stock "REM" remote wire, right? I'd turn the volume down, turn the stock radio on. Use your voltmeter and find a wire with 12Volts. Turn the radio off, the wire should show 0Volts. Your stock sub speaker wires voltage should go up and down with the volume. This...
  18. B

Sound Dampening

1. Put as much as you can directly around all the speakers first, including the woofer. 2. I'd say the tailgate and the cargo area would be on my list next. The firewall and floor pans have some insulation that helps with deading. The headliner would be last on my list. Do you...
  19. B

Is there a cheaper version of dynamat

I would NOT use craft foam. I did in an older car, if it gets wet or damp it will mold and stink really bad. I've got RoadKill by Stinger. It is not very sticky for the my trunk lid in my car, otherwise it worked good. I probably should have cleaned the trunk lid better before applying...
  20. B

5th alternator in a month...help.

Is there a seperate voltage regulator on the X or is it built into the alternator? I purchased a PowerMaster alternator from Summit and love it. 140amps.
  21. B

power antenna not working

Sorry, I haven't put an aftermarket HU in mine yet. Just all my other vehicles. There are multiple wires comming out of the antenna? What do you mean "into the input on the left side"? If it is confusing, can you post a picture? Most head units have a power antenna wire and a remote...
  22. B

whats a crossover?

Check out AudioControl.com for a good definition. http://www.audiocontrol.com/techpapers/techpaper102.pdf I like SQ. I couldn't live without my 3SX. http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/Crossovers/3XS.html
  23. B

amp trouble

So you have the power, ground and remote on plugged in and the diagnostic light turns red? No RCA's and no speaker in or outs connected? If so, I'd say the amp has a problem, or you still have a problem with one of the 3 wires connected. Since you've been working on your truck, doors open...
  24. B

amp trouble

What did you do to fix the broken RCA? Did you replace it? It sounds like it was stretched, then snapped. Shorting the RCA's should cause the protect, and like Mexi said, if the speaker lead wires shorted, that would be bad too. Not sure what kind of protection your Crunch has for either of...
  25. B

Help me with stock system problem

What if you connect a speaker to the stock HU speaker connection instead of going thru the amp. Take the amp out of the loop, pull it's fuse and turn on the radio with one speaker connected to it like it used to be stock. This way you can say, 'My stock HU is fine. It must be my wiring job...
Back