Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

To Swap? or not to swap?

Don't get me wrong, of course you "would think" that, but that alone is no guarantee you really did everything right (which you may very well have). But as of now from what you describe, sadly it looks like that's exactly what happened: The engine now leaks all over. - So just don't overthink it...
  2. G

Rear lift window strut brackets

In that case I would check that back here: https://help.ford.com/recall/ and here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html And if the website says it's a recall, then I would go to another dealer or back to the same one and argue with them a little more over the issue.
  3. G

Cat question

That depends on what you want to do with it and there's constantly new offers and models. I have a stand alone one that's compatible with a whole range of vehicles and can read out ABS SRS codes from most US vehicles. The one I have is the AutoLink Autel AL619 and you can get it for around...
  4. G

Cat question

You can get cheap ones that work well with Forscan for under 40 bucks already. Even if you spend more on something better than the most basic models, it's an investment that's well worth it and will save you money on multiple occasions.
  5. G

Cat question

Hook up an OBDII scanner and look at the live data. It should give you an idea if the two upstream o2 sensors are functioning normally or if they're sluggish. The third downstream one behind the cat should give you an idea if the cat works or not. Fuel trim values should also help give you a...
  6. G

Water leak cargo area

Check the hinges of the glass window in the liftgate. These screws like to come lose, and when they do, then the glass can wiggle around a bit (even when it's closed) and the window won't seal right. That's my best guess along with Jeff's suggestion to check the rear side windows. You might also...
  7. G

Intermittent Fuel Pump Issue?

- Check the inertia switch. - Check the power supply to the pump, and also check for bad ground. Before you move on to replace the pump (if those or the fuel filter are not the issues) check the fuel pressure first as well.
  8. G

What’s this Explorer worth?

Let me take a good long look under the hood and under the car, let me hook up my OBD2 scanner, and then ask me again. ;)
  9. G

Check engine light doesn't work - can't pass emissions test

Aside from the issue with the light bulb in the instrument panel not working, the OBD2 scanner should tell you whether the check engine light status in the PCM is set to "check engine light on" or to "check engine light off" or "MIL on/off" A good scanner should also tell you which of the...
  10. G

Rear wiper issue

It's a little hard to tell on the photos but to me it looks as if the rotating shaft that the wiper is bolted onto is angled and not coming out straight anymore. There is probably something on the motor mount bent. But the rear wipers on these trucks are generally almost useless, unless you...
  11. G

1997 below the bumper driving light bulbs

Hello AllmyExes, whatever light bulb you put into your FOG LIGHTS isn't going to help you much with what you're trying to achieve. Fog lights are meant to be used in fog and in fog only. That is why they're mounted so low and why they don't focus the light very much at all, but illuminate a wide...
  12. G

what kind of mileage do you all get ??

Mine is a 1999 Sport 4.0 OHV 2WD and I live in coastal GA where it's all flat. A few years ago, when first moved here and lived downtown for a little while, I used to get 14.9 Mpg. Now out here on the Islands I get around 16.7 Mpg. On longer trips all on the Highway it's 19 to 20 Mpg. When...
  13. G

4.0 OHV Bad Water Pump -- Head Gaskets Okay?

If it's not otherwise in absolutely perfect condition (meaning so cheap yet otherwise so perfect that it's worth swapping out the engine) then I'd personally stay away from that truck. Who knows what happened and what the owner did when it overheated, with a little bad luck you might even end up...
  14. G

Headlights

Thanks J_C, learned something new. In fact it does seem like they've blatantly lied about the DOT certification of their LED bulbs. Now where to find that lawyer who'll make me win a 50 million dollar lawsuit? :dunno:
  15. G

Quick cheap Vacuum leak / smoker tester

Now that's a smokin' machine!
  16. G

Headlights

There is no criminal act when DOT certified components are installed in DOT certified components to convert a vehicle with DOT certified headlights to DOT certified headlights.
  17. G

Headlights

I'm sorry but your argument is completely missing the whole point of my post. I never said or argued that installing a brighter LED lamp into a reflector housing designed for incandescent bulbs would produce LESS glare than the original combination with an incandescent bulb. If you read my...
  18. G

Headlights

I upgraded my headlights to LED a couple of months ago with no problems. But there are several things to keep in mind. First of all the design of the LED bulb. There is a ton of crap out there to buy. In fact the vast majority is crap and will produce very poor light patterns in combination with...
  19. G

"Pending" P0171 and P0174 code and PCV question

Before you just go ahead and replace any intake manifold gaskets I'd try checking thoroughly for vacuum leaks first. There's about half a million vacuum hoses running around all over the engine bay. It's awfully easy to miss one somewhere. And I'd also hook up a fuel pressure gauge as well to...
  20. G

Which oil to use for a 2000 explorer with a 5.0 v8

And should you happen to have an ever so slightly leaking main seal, just like so many old Explorers have, then suddenly the whole reasoning around the viscosity at lower temperatures goes straight down the gutter by your driveway, simply because your beloved 0W30 will just leak out quicker...
  21. G

Help:eek: Aussie damsel in distress here:-)

I'm sorry I just noticed that my theory might possibly not make much sense at all in your case. Depending on the type of LPG conversion in your case the LPG may (likely) not be injected directly into the combustion chamber, but might go through a carburator instead.
  22. G

I've been thinking about this back and forth for a bit and I've finally come up with a little theory that I believe might explain what's going on. LPG has less energy than gasoline and (if I got the right numbers) it also has a higher viscosity than gasoline. Now my theory is that this would...
  23. G

You almost had me shocked a bit there for a second when I saw the hefty price tag of $79.99. But then I realized the $ sign was obviously the upside down one.
  24. G

Can I change my fuel pump without dropping tank??

Your signature says 1998 Explorer, so depending on your type of fuel delivery system the additional pump would probably have to suck the gas through the fuel pressure regulator mounted above the pump and through the faulty pump, and then still deliver the gas with right pressure to the fuel...
  25. G

Are you sure you're not talking about vaseline? :pics:
Back