Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

MAS bolts for airbox size?

not sure, but... I stripped the threads on one of mine, and had to replace it. after I got it out, I just took it to the local Ace hardware store, and found a threaded hex bolt that fit it just right. It was in the specialty screw sections that all Ace's have.. the ones with the drawers with...
  2. B

Question about SOHC rattle repair

Does anyone know why this TSB only applies from 99-02s? I have a 98, and have that dreaded rattle sound, around the same RPM range. I've had 00M12 performed, but not 01M01. Did they 'improve' something in the 99 SOHC that was ok in the 98, not needed the TSB? From the board at flatratetech...
  3. B

CEL bulb question

they aren't 194s! Well, I FINALLY got around to replacing the indicator bulbs, specifically the CEL. Tearing apart the dash isn't that bad. Unfortunately, when I got it apart, I realized that the indicator bulbs are not 194s. They are much smaller. I went to Autozone, but they guys there...
  4. B

cell phone hard wired thru radio

a possible solution... Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but a while back I was looking for something similar for my 98, and I came across the following: http://www.pie.net/speak_easy.htm It seemed to be the easiest, most flexible solution. I liked it because if I changed my...
  5. B

misc. interior lights

It appears as though the cruise control switchs are under 20 bucks at fordpartsonline (for a 98 ex.). Does this sound about right? If so, I may order them. I think all I have to do is remove the air bag, unplug the module, plug in the new one, and reinstall the air bag. From the...
  6. B

Can't get the dang tire off...

Yeps, that is what happened. At least that is where most of the rust was. The weird thing is that this wheel was off in July... Ah well. Its all back together now, with some goop I got at the store to prevent this in the future. Now I'm a bit scared to do the shocks! I wonder if I'll...
  7. B

Well its FINALLY off. I think the penetrating oil helped a lot. I just decided to bang on the thing until it either fell off, or I broke something. It took about another half hour of pounding, rotating, pounding, etc., until it came off. Silly thing was the brake job took 15 minutes! Thanks...
  8. B

What would that do for me? WOuld running it somehow loosen the wheel? Just curious...
  9. B

Well, after a night of 'soaking', the sucker is still stuck on, so I was going to take it to get the tires rotated, but its a 3 hour wait everywhere around here. I suppose I'll give it another day, and if I can't get it off by tomorrow, I'll throw in the towel.. Thanks for all your suggestions!
  10. B

Just my luck, I'd take it to get the tires rotated, and they wouldn't be able to get it off.. probably tell me to take it to a dealer! I think I'm finished for tonight.. perhaps tomorrow I'll have another go at it. Thanks for all the suggestions.... -andy
  11. B

BTW just so y'all don't go worrying about me.. I'm NOT going to drive around the block with loose lug nuts. There has to be a better, safer, and easier way!..
  12. B

I've hit it from the behind (from underneath the truck), on the front (block of wood w/sledge, rubber mallets, anything else I thought I could use that wouldn't damage the rim). I've hit ever side of the tire that I can get a sledge onto, and it still doesn't want to budge. I've been hitting...
  13. B

Well, I loosened the lug nuts, and drove it back and forth a bit, rocked the crap out of it, and the damn tire is still stuck. Maybe I should go for a spin around the block with the lug nuts loose.. I have no idea. Any other ideas?
  14. B

Ok, I am stuck.. I was trying to do my rear brakes today, got the passenger side finished no problem, but I cannot get the driver's side tire off. The lug nuts were no problem, but the tire is STUCK. I've tried pummeling it with sledgehammers, dropping it off of the jack, I've sprayed it with...
  15. B

proper seating of sparkplug boots..

I'm an idiot Ok, well I decided to go back and re-re-check everything again, and I found that 2 of my wires were wrong. Talk about feeling stupid. I still think that the boots might be a bit loose, although I tried to see if the old ones fit any differently, and they were maybe a bit tighter...
  16. B

proper seating of sparkplug boots..

Ok, I'm in the middle of changing my plugs and wires, and I can't seem to get the boots to seat properly on all of the plugs. About half of them are fine, the other half just don't want to 'snap' on... They can be removed way to easily. I tried to crimp the boots a bit and re-install on the...
  17. B

Rust lines on inside bottom on doors.

I've also got the door bottom rust issue. Is there anything that I can do to stop/slow this down, short of cutting it out and welding on some new metal? Some of the paint on the inside bottom of my door has started to bubble a bit. Is this something I could sand down and then put something...
  18. B

CEL bulb question

I couldn't find it either... dogfriend- As disappointing as it is that you couldn't find the part number, its at least a bit reassuring, because I couldn't find it either! I have the 98 CD. Thanks for checking though!
  19. B

CEL bulb question

true... From what I've read, its not that difficult, but more of a hassle, since you have to take so much stuff off to get to the bulbs. Part of me thinks that as long as I'm back there, I might as well replace them all, but at the same time, if they are bulbs that are rarely on, is it...
  20. B

CEL bulb question

just getting back to this... Well, after a bunch of delays, I think I'm going to have some time to work on my X, including fixing the CEL bulb. I believe that the bulb I'll need is indeed a "194". Are ALL the instrument panel bulbs 194s? I figure as long as I am back there, I might replace...
  21. B

Radio LED display fix!!!

2 cents Thought I would post my thoughts on this. I originally tried the 'cleaning'. It worked for maybe a Day. Then I lived without a radio display for another month or two. Then the shareamemory.com fix popped up someplace (might have been the newsgroups). Anyways, I had a soldering...
  22. B

trying to figure out OBD-2 stuff.. help!

Yah, I got a CD service manual, but I'm still trying to figure it out as well. I think its like the scan tool; tons of information, IF you know how to get to it! So I've been plugging away looking at the CD, and found the codes, but didn't see the ones that I was looking for. Maybe its just...
  23. B

trying to figure out OBD-2 stuff.. help!

I've had Alex Peper's scan tool for a few years now, and have not really used it to its fullest. Now I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my X, and I can't really figure out what the info is telling me. If I look at just the error code that pops up, I get a: P0420 Catalyst...
  24. B

CEL bulb question

In Chicago, all they check for is emissions. They used to just do the tailpipe test, but now for OBDII enabled cars, they just check to see that everything is in spec that way. SOmething wasn't on mine (didn't say in the report), SO, they moved to the tailpipe emissions test. I passed that...
  25. B

CEL bulb question

I just got back from the emissions testing (I passed), and they told me my CEL bulb was burned out. So I searched the site to see how to replace this. I couldn't really find anything about the individual 'warning' bulbs, only the bulbs that light up the dash. Is the CEL an actual bulb? Or is...
Back