Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Loose Tie-Rod

IZ wack, I like to know how it turns out, I've got the same problem on a 03 Sport with only 15000 miles on and no off road misbehavior. When I turn the steering shaft side to side, there is a noticible clunk and around 3/8's of play. Vehicle drives like it has a mind of it's own. The Ford rep...
  2. M

Rack & Pinion

Jason, everything I've read about it lately, says you're right. It's going to be a battle of wills I'm sure. However, it's been in multiple times, and if they won't, they can have the entire truck back. It's too bad, this has been my second ex sport, and I've bought three vehicles from these...
  3. M

Rack & Pinion

Thanks Sk1er17! This all stared as a problem when doing left turns and getting a feeling in the steering wheel as if there was play. They narrowed it down to the tie rod. However the problem is still there, and additionally the problem that occured after replacing the tie rod. I suspect that...
  4. M

Rack & Pinion

I've been having serious problems with bump steer and nibble at low speeds, and wander at high speeds. The front end has been aligned and I've bleed the power steering as prescribed. I'll be going back to the dealer this week since all this started after a tie rod was replaced. My question...
  5. M

Steering "Nibble"

I tried beeding the air out of the power steering last night, it feels somewhat better. Maybe I'm thinking positively. Simple operation of jacking up the front end and spinning the steering wheel lock to lock around ten times. It's going to the service manager on Saturday, just in case it's...
  6. M

Steering "Nibble"

Did the dealer install a new rack or remove it? Right now I am inclined to think it's in the rack or power steering; since it's gotten colder, the steering feels much tighter first thing in the morning.
  7. M

Steering "Nibble"

Thanks, I'm familiar with the procedure, just reluctant to go that direction. It may however be the only thing that gets their attention. Meanwhile, I've rotated the tires just to ensure it was'nt a wheel or bad tire up front. Could it be the rack?
  8. M

Steering "Nibble"

I had my system bled when they replaced the power steering pump for the original problem I had. Still worked fine at that time. I've written Ford's help line and am waiting on a response.
  9. M

Steering "Nibble"

I've got the same sensation, having to grip the steering wheel tighter. I'm realy hoping someone out there can suggest a fix, it's downright annoying, and to me, unsafe. I was reading a some info from a F-150 forum and they were complaining about the same thing on the new '04 pickup.
  10. M

Steering "Nibble"

I'm looking for advice regarding front end nibble on my 2003 Ex Sport. Ever since the dealer replaced a tie rod the vehicle has developed slight oscillations in the steering wheel. It's been aligned three times, each time to no avail. At slow speeds under 30, the tires seem to follow the...
  11. M

2003 Explorer Sport, Steering probs

It has only 13000 miles. Drove great before the tie rod replacement. It's really a pain to drive.
  12. M

2003 Explorer Sport, Steering probs

My 03 Ex Sport has 13,000 miles and needed a tie rod replaced under warranty. Ever since then, it has a bump steer problem, more so at low speed. Speeds over 40 MPH seem to create slight movements in the steering wheel side to side. It's been checked by two different alignment shops and the...
Back