Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Explorer hood vibrates

Taping the edge of the cowl down did eliminate the noise. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the cowl under warranty. The buzzing is gone. The part appears to be a defective design. The clips that hold the cowl are a molded part of the cowl. When they break they can not be replaced.
  2. T

change oil or wait

Noooooo!!! Not the dreaded discussion on fuel octane -- the single most misunderstood subject in automobile forums!
  3. T

change oil or wait

I like that idea too, Peter. And I am not trying to just be argumentative. I just think the consumers' money is better spent simply changing their oil. Fresh oil is always better than old oil. I saw that company also does aircraft oil analysis. That's great. But no matter how well that oil...
  4. T

change oil or wait

But if I take $38 to Walmart I can buy 6 quarts of oil and a filter (and a 20 oz. Diet Coke), and I KNOW my oil is not worn out. You are talking about a false economy. You want to spend money so you know when it's okay to spend more money.
  5. T

change oil or wait

Or you could just take the $38 you would spend on that, and just... oh, I don't know... CHANGE YOUR OIL. Unless you suspect a problem with your engine, I have doubts about the value of lab testing your oil. Even if you think you are chewing up a bearing or a cylinder wall, analysis doesn't...
  6. T

Explorer hood vibrates

Upon close inspection, I found that two clips that hold the cowl tight to the windshield are broken on the passenger side. I'll bet that part starts to vibrate at speed causing the "hum". I'll tape the edge down and see if that stops the noise, as I suspect it will. Then it's back to the...
  7. T

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Got my console tray in the mail today. A nice addition. They also included some lagniappe (Google it). A pair of sunglasses was included in the bag with the tray. And If I were Peter Fonda in Easy Rider, I'd be proud to wear them. The Chinese are about 4 decades behind in style.
  8. T

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

Nope. They are flexible rubber, like something you'd buy off the roll, by the foot at Pep Boys.
  9. T

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

Look at the ends. One is an unfinished T-shaped cross section. The other is a finished rectangular cross section. But thank you for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you, including "The Devil's in the Details" home game.
  10. T

Explorer hood vibrates

My 2016 has the hum. The hood skin does vibrate, but that does not appear to be the source of the sound. Probably the cowl on the passenger side. Anyone manage to fix this annoyance themselves?
  11. T

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

Mine is the top one. They don't look very much alike, do they? I did not mention from where I bought it, but it is a dealer/parts supplier that gets recommended a lot on this forum. Not sure I am going to handle it yet, but I'm pretty steamed that they would slip crap from Pep...
  12. T

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

Can anyone who has done this mod, AND got the long, straight trim pieces from Ford that fill the roof gutter post a close-up pic of the end of it. The parts I got online from a Ford dealer (which happens to get a lot of recommendations on this forum, by the way) seem different from the trim...
  13. T

I like that. :thumbsup: A little bit pricey perhaps, but since shipping is "free", I think I'll get one. My console is full of relatively small stuff anyway. I can use this insert to hold all of it, and keep a rain jacket or something bulky underneath.
  14. T

Strength of the Explorer/Utility Interceptor

Actually, the CVPI exceeded rear end collision standards by a WIDE margin. The issue was a lot of the gear carried in the trunk of the vehicles was stored in such a way that it intruded into the fuel tank area with a rear end impact. Also, drill-happy upfitters loved to mount equipment...
  15. T

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

I tried it today, and it actually was pretty easy to remove. You just start prying up the cover from the rear to the front, with a trim removal tool. when you have released all the clips, then you just pull the cover backwards, and off it comes. Then you just start unbolting the base. I...
  16. T

Any 2011+ ham radio guys??

The How-To: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419317
  17. T

The How-To: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419317
  18. T

I now have the control head of my Yaesu Ft-7900 mounted to the dash on a Panavise mount. I gotta get to work on a place to mount the mic. I'll probably use an extension cable to bring it over to the driver's side of the center console. Today I mounted the main body of the radio in...
  19. T

Mounted the main body of my Yaesu FT-7900 in one of the cubby holes under the police cargo platform. And mounted up a Larsen KG-2/70 glass mount antenna to the rear side glass. I haven't tuned the antenna yet, but did hit the cross-town repeater on low power (5 watts)...
  20. T

Wiring UHF radio to regular 2016 Explorer

Explored the Explorer this morning, looking for ways to get power to my dual band. Removed the plastic dash panel under the steering column, and the steel panel underneath it. Found this: Trailer brake connector. If my base Explorer (no towing package) has it, I'll bet they ALL do...
  21. T

It is true that the modern, electrically dependent vehicles are pretty rough on batteries. Still, you should be getting way more than a year out of a new battery. I'd expect at least 4. Bad batteries? Bad charging system? And it does seem that when your electrically dependent vehicle's...
  22. T

Cabin fuse box location / access

Just looked under the dash of my 2016 Ex. It definitely ain't easy to see or get to the fuse block. It is really tucked up under there. The owner's manual suggests pulling out the dash sub panel to access it. It 's supposed to be pretty easy to do. I haven't tried that yet, but I did...
  23. T

Hands-Free tailgate issues

Then you immediately have to step back, lest the liftgate knock the double grande half-caff soy caramel extra foam macchiato out of your hands. You put your right foot in You put your right foot out... Further proof that it is laziness, and not necessity, that is the mother of...
  24. T

Hands-Free tailgate issues

My wife helped someone chase their dog around the WalMart parking lot because it escaped from an Ex when the owner left it unattended in the fire lane (serves them right, I say) and another shopper walking past the rear activated the liftgate. You got your hands too full of stuff to press a...
  25. T

CB Radio Mount Question

Mounting a CB is generally going to be a bit more challenging than a contemporary amateur (ham) radio. Remote mounting options are plentiful, in the VHF/UHF radio market. With CBs... Not so much. Luckily there are many CB radios that are very small. You will have to be creative in...
Back