Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Frontend binding and grinding

Hey everyone. Just put in a new driveshaft in. Replaced the u joint and cleaned and repacked the cv joint with new greese. I'm getting binding and sounds like rusty metal grinding from the front end but only turning at full lock at slow speeds. Looking for any suggestions on what I should look...
  2. S

Front Drive Shaft and Trailer hitch

Two question for you great folks. I have a 97 Explorer 5.0 AWD that has the 6 bolt flange to the transfer case. Do any other explorers come with the 6 bolt or just the 5.0? Do all trailer hitches from 95 to 01 fit a 97? thanks for all your help
  3. S

A/C Troubleshooting

Hey everyone I have a 97 Explorer 5.0 AWD I'm basically looking to make sure my findings are correct. I am only using one of the gauges from the Freon refill kits So this is what I have come up with so far. Fill the system with freon to I think about 250 on the gauge don't quote me. I turn...
  4. S

A/c question

When the clutch is not engaged it is a good pressure only when the clutch engages the pressure drops than it will climb back up once it reaches good pressure the clutch will engage again
  5. S

A/c question

So I just tried to recharge my ac. The clutch will come on but as soon as it does pressure drops than climbs back up kicks on then drops clutch stops engaging. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advanced
  6. S

Parting Explorers, 98 5.0, 99 4.0, 99 5.0

Hey I'm looking for a front drive shaft for a 97 XLT 5.0 AWD with the 6 bolt flange cup.
  7. S

Torque Converter Locking/Unlocking

I have a 97 5.0 AWD with around 230k miles. Recently the torque converter will lock and unlock. The O/D light is not on so I am hoping its not a mechanical problem. I am wondering if there is anything I can test or any suggestion on what the problem could be. Thanks in advance this forum is...
  8. S

4R70W slipping in O/D

The o/d light is not flashing
  9. S

4R70W slipping in O/D

Hey everyone. I have a 97 5.0 awd explorer that has a slight slipping issue in o/d. Cruising down the freeway on level ground it will raise and lower the rpms about 300 back and forth. Checked tranny fluid looks good. Is there anything I can do to help or is just one of those things drive...
  10. S

Front drive shaft installation

From what I re ead and correct me if I'm wrong if I have the cup cv style drive shaft than there is only one size
  11. S

I can get either end installed just can't get them both to bolt up. does anyone know the length of the drive shaft weld to weld?
  12. S

this is what I was able to find on the drive shaft XL-24 Dana Part # 0320985002-L3 this is what i could at least read. i looked at the ford parts site and and 97 and 98 are the same part number. Maybe Im just don't prying hard enough or not doing the jigsaw puzzle right. because i...
  13. S

I tride rotating it a few ways it's hitting the threads on the pinion where the nut attaches. I am aware of the creep thanks to this forum.I try to do some searching before I post. But this simple job is kicking my behind This is where it's getting stuck about 2nd thread down. I know...
  14. S

I'm at a loss 2 hrs still can't get it. Tried the pry bar. No luck. It does compress all the way. Does anyone know the Dana part number for the drive shaft or is there different lengths. I have the 5.0 with awd. The drive shaft was off when I bought the truck and it was inside I just...
  15. S

Is there a trick to install. If I put the cup end first I cant get the u joint in and vise versa. The truck is on the ground do I need to jack up the front end? or do I need to take of the caps to the u joint before install?
  16. S

help identify this bracket and this component -97 explorer

I believe this is what your looking for http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=cs%2bh2Xgo%2f1tZeTP4EXGbPg%3d%3d&id=343114585&m=2&search=true&year=1997&make=Ford&model=Explorer
  17. S

New To Me 97 XLT 5.0 AWD

I don't have any check engine lights and the OD is not flashing. I did read about not parking on a hill with the front drive shaft out. Is there any way to easily test the Tcase before I spend money on a U Joint.
  18. S

New To Me 97 XLT 5.0 AWD

Hi everyone I just recently purchased a 97 explorer for a outrages $350 bucks lol. It has about 216k miles on it and want to know what area's i should look out for. I have done the brakes, changed the oil, and about to put a new front u-joint in it as the old owner took the front drive shaft...
Back