Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Additional fun with this M5OD-R1 in our Explorer

Wish I had better options. Snow's already getting ready to roll in, and I've no where decent to drop a transmission until spring. I might wind up sneaking to the folks place and gutting the barn out AGAIN so I can roll the ol' beast back in. It's a rather confined space to do anything, but...
  2. T

Additional fun with this M5OD-R1 in our Explorer

Stats of course: 1995 Stock Ford Explorer with the 4.0 OHV. High miles (240k) Did a run down to the pick and pull yard yesterday, noted a very odd sound coming from the transmission. Wife let me know it did it for her a couple of days earlier. I've been using this as a daily driver sense the...
  3. T

Rear glass hinges-- 1999 mountaineer please help

If ever there was a time for Ford to step up and redesign these POS parts? Maybe a full recall and replacement. This was just a lousy design. Considering almost every Ford that uses these hinges in the pick an pull yard has them all removed! Pattern fail would be 2 words that come to mind...
  4. T

Rear glass hinges-- 1999 mountaineer please help

I wound up purchasing a spare set when I was at the local pick and pull yard. My family also has an 05 Explorer...same issue. She (mother) never used the rear glass, and the hinge snapped off. I got lucky and found a set that we installed on her's. I wound up soaking the hinges in "Fluid...
  5. T

Misfire at start-up...head gasket??

I'm aware of the 1996 being obd II. I'm also painfully aware that people swap out harnesses and engines more then a few times.... It's not needed for a 'top end' scanner for misfire monitors. I've got a laptop program and interface cable that does quite well for OBD II work. It does not...
  6. T

Misfire at start-up...head gasket??

Not sure about a head leak.... 00'? That should be OBD II and might be able to snag which cylinder it is using the misfire monitors. I'd figure out which cylinder it is, and then pull the spark plug and let it sit. While the plug is out, check for possible ignition issues..and the condition...
  7. T

Rear LiftGate on Gen 1 Mounteer and Gen 2 Explorer the Same?

There's likely a fuse that goes to the rear wiper motor. I'm not sure if it's shared by the washer motor. Someone with my wiring understanding then I have should be able to lend a hand on that point. Looks like a great job! Well planned out and it shows! S-
  8. T

Looks pretty damn good!! Rear wiper is likely fused. Could be fuse, switch...wiring. The fluid coming out the hose might just be a clog in the line, pinched line. We modified ours a bit due to the hose not being long enough. If you remove the hose from where it connects to the door/hatch it...
  9. T

Catalytic converter

This topic might not be one that can be answered. Tampering with emission devices isn't advisable. Depending on state laws it might also be considered illegal. Plus if the explorer has a rear O2 sensor, it will 100% throw a code for converter. And again depending on state laws and DMV...
  10. T

Dropping tranny tomorrow - advice?

Any updates on the air issues? Still on hold with ours until the new slave comes in. Been racking my brain trying to figure out where the air could be coming in from on yours.... S-
  11. T

Ours isn't to far behind. Just got in the "Stud Fix" parts for the exhaust broken studs. Frankly $60 bucks for about $3 bucks worth of steel and a weld. Funny part is that another ebay seller has these 'cheaper' by $5.00. The not so funny part is when you see the guy wants something like $25...
  12. T

Got the response from Rock Auto. Yep... Someone tried it and tossed it back into the box. I'll toss a couple of photos... You can see the fluid with moister pooling. And a small chuck of black at about position 3:18.... And of course...Pretty clear where the fingers where rubbing...
  13. T

I'm glad it's been taken care of. And yeah...pulling the master cylinder out.. I've had ours out 3 times. The guide always says to pull the inner fender skirt. We're actually able to just reach up and twist-release-pull that snot out. The one issue I did note with that quick release clip...
  14. T

1995 Explorer Sport with 5 speed M50D driving me crazy!

Ordered in a new slave for the M5OD. Brand is LUK. Along with the flywheel and clutch complete setup. The slave cylinder was a combo of the release bearing and slave. New in box. The slave was bouncing around the box a bit, but I can clearly see the release bearing has a wear pattern already...
  15. T

That's a plus. I just had to order in two sets of the Stud Fix clamps. http://www.studfix.com/product/car-studfix-kit/ The ones I ordered where for cars, or V6 engines. Considering all the problems with the exhaust manifold studs. This I hope will cure the problems and let me actually be...
  16. T

If I can ask. Did you use the slave with the retaining clip (aka, perfection clutch design). Or did you use the standard type that has the circle of finger grips.... Our parts for the trans should be in tomorrow. Which means I'll be able to start reassembly. Which was the brand of Slave...
  17. T

This must be Explorer Clutch Month! Posted an update on our headache on the other thread. Are you sure it didn't just blow the line off the slave cylinder? I've heard issues where Perfection Clutch Slaves had problems and the line would blow off the slave. While it's great they figured out...
  18. T

After having a cobalt drill bit break off inside the left overs of the stud, I cried uncle. The stupid bit snapped off when it was just about ready to pop out the other side. Really not happy at this point. I did some nosing around and found a company makes a clamp bracket that addresses this...
  19. T

Be sure if you get another gate: Upper hinges! LOL! Make sure they are unbolted from the roof and not the gate itself. That might help things line up. S- edit: Forgot to mention: Switch in the back is a door lock switch. Pretty sure it's standard. The heated rear window defogger...
  20. T

I'd have to have a look at ours.. (which is 20 miles north of here on 4 stands while I wait for transmission parts...sorry) I think most of the issues has to be the upper mounts. I'm pretty sure we removed the hatch by prying down carefully on the headliner and removing the bolts. If someone...
  21. T

Let me see if I can dig around my old photobucket page for some pictures of a 1995 converted over to a 1998 rear hatch: From when we purchased our 1995. That lip with all the rust? Yeah...no metal left behind that and under the hatch was rotted out about 3" worth. That's what happens...
  22. T

1995 Explorer EEC-1V or EEC-V

Going to need to examine under the hood. Ours has both connections. But the obd2 port does nothing. The eec4 port under the hood is how our 95 is. Hate mid year changes... Going to need some detective work from the op to solve this one.
  23. T

Help question Lock cylinder broken

If memory serves when we changed ours out (extra floppy with the key)... The small round bit sits into a recess so it acts like a rear pivot. If there was crud or incorrect machining....or anything in that small area.. That can seize that up fairly tight. I'm sure it can be worked free...
  24. T

Help question Lock cylinder broken

I'm looking at that thing and thinking "Just jab an oversized flat head screwdriver in there and spin that sucker...." Good thing I'm not there. I'd go full caveman on it! Looks like the end is aluminum. If that goes into a steel receiver that equals a nice chemical reaction with the two...
  25. T

Well the day got longer whether I liked it or not. Examined the rear converter mount. Sense this Explorer has the torsion bars- The bracket would prevent the whole exhaust from tipping downward and allowing a bit of extra room for the transmission. So that gets scratched. I move up to the...
Back