Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Front Strut Bolt Stuck

Just want to show how I cut it. Sawall blade on sleeve and disc grinder on the bolt. I wasted at least 3 hours trying to break the bolt loose and gave in.
  2. T

2004 4.0 Engine overheated

You seem to be able to pull the heads off without taking the engine out but it will be more difficult. I would rebuild it if you find that it is only the head gasket, then change both timing chains and fix the coolant issues that caused the overheating in the first place...
  3. T

Sounds like the head gasket is blown and possible warped head(s). The only want to know if it's worth rebuilding is that you take the head off and assess the damage on the heads. You could get away with just head gasket swap. There is a factory cd around here that cover the rebuild process.
  4. T

Auto Transmission delayed shifting to 1st gear after quick/emergency stop

I have this problem for 2 years now only when you stop quickly from about 50km/hr+ to dead stop. The transmission doesn't go down to 1st faster enough and the car won't accelerate. After blipping the throttle gentle once or twice the transmission 'wake up' and clunk to 1st gear. What is the...
  5. T

i just did a major overhaul of my 2003 coolant system recently. i drove it from 175,000km to 223,000km and it started to slightly overheat going up a steep hill one day. I was able to keep the heat down by turning on the heater. Drove it for another couple of weeks and eventually even...
  6. T

I need some honest advice on a seized engine

I would ask several questions: 1) What condition is the chassis? Paint in good condition? Rust on body panels? 2) Interior is in good condition? 3) Everything working before the engine died? 4) What was the cause of the engine seizing. Run out of oil or coolant system failure. Any engines...
  7. T

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0l V6 Overheating saga

Finally fixed the cooling issue on my Explorer. The truck started to overheat when I switched from heat to AC when the weather got hot. I was able to keep driving by turning the heat back on. I tried to clean the coolant system with some radiator flush chemical and the situation got even...
  8. T

That was me jacking up the front of the truck with the cross member and then the jack slipping off, crushing the radiator 2 years ago.
  9. T

I'm curious about the fan clutch. When I changed the water pump the fan clutch seems to look okay. It had a bit of residence when cold but the nut turns by hand. When running with the engine the fan seems to run pretty fast to me. I know it is supposed to run at a lower speed when cold and...
  10. T

trying again with the images, removed links to the bigger images
  11. T

Car started overheating at 225,000km going up steep hills. What do I do? Check the thermostat, it checked out fine. The thermostat have been replaced with a Dorman Upper/Lower housing +thermostat due to a leaking housing a year prior. I proceeded with a coolant flush/cleaner, the truck...
  12. T

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Some tips on removing the filter. Another one of those jobs that takes 4 hours the first time and 5 mins when you know what to do. Hopefully my tips would help many of you. 1. Leave the filter bracket bolted to the car. 2. Insert the right sized metal disconnect tool. 3. Use the LONG...
Back