Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

3000 RPM noise 2016 explorer 2.3l Limited

Video needed. My 17 might have had this issue but I need some audio to verify it's the same item. Easy fix if so.
  2. T

Engine Cooling Fans

A/C will trigger the radiator fans at lower vehicle speeds. Sounds like normal cycling. I would keep an eye on the blown fuse however. Was it just one blown fuse that was replaced and hasn't happened since?
  3. T

Looking at a 16 and 17 Explorer XLT tomorrow...

I had no complaints about the 2.3L in my vehicle--I think it's a superior choice as it lacks the water pump issue and drives a bit lighter than the 3.5L V6. But, the 3.5L is a little bit more refined. If going for an AWD, be careful with the PTU. Personal opinion is that the PTU's fluid...
  4. T

Bluetooth incoming calls / no sound

The prompt voice being audible is a red herring--they have a different volume control for each part of the system (prompt voice, phone call audio, and stereo audio). I'll let others chime in.
  5. T

Bluetooth incoming calls / no sound

Hmm, the phone volume and master volume on the SYNC system function independently. Make sure that you're turning up volume at the head unit during the call--an audible radio doesn't mean an audible phone. (I know, it's obvious, you probably already tried, but bears repeating...) On the phone...
  6. T

Recall 19S17 and front alignment q's

^ I've never had a dealership ever update the mileage properly. I let my dashcam worry about it if I've got suspicions. Most of the time I it goes unchecked.
  7. T

Recall 19S17 and front alignment q's

10km / 6ish miles is not something I'd lose sleep over, honestly. It's possible that there might have been two test drives and the technician didn't like something in the drive, adjusted alignment again, and then test drove again. As far as your alignment specs, I'd go by Ford spec, not what...
  8. T

Any 2011+ ham radio guys??

THAT IS CLEAN! I wanted to get into amateur radio when I had the Explorer and wire it up. Never got around to it. That display looks PERFECT up top.
  9. T

PTU - Power Transfer Unit

Mine had the newer PTU design as far as I knew (2.3L), fluid still tested shot, but with no mechanical degradation. Incremental improvements, I suppose?
  10. T

Deep sleep mode

This message, as far as I knew, only appeared on FordPass and other Remote Access applications. It refers to the telematics unit going to sleep to avoid draining the battery. Car should unlock and start fine using the push button/key inside the car.
  11. T

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

You very well may be right. I had to very begrugingly get rid of my Explorer over this after it not only flooded the cabin with the smell when climbing grades, but also during highway operation.
  12. T

PTU - Power Transfer Unit

Unofficial, just me recommendation: Change every 30k for success. My PTU fluid, analyzed by Blackstone, was end of life at 50k. YMMV.
  13. T

Ford knowingly sold two vehicles with faulty transmissions.

I suspect that "safety issue" is a legal term of art for NHTSA and that's what they're responding to--and at that, they're focused on the failure mode. Loss of motive ability might increase risk, but in itself, won't harm you. Loss of motive ability where the car slams itself into park when...
  14. T

How Ford Lost a New Customer

This is what surprises me the most. Ford browbeats the piss out of the dealers for billing .001 of an hour over warranty book time, or sending back a part that doesn't test out as bad, but then when something this egregious happens, they do nothing. I'd keep nagging them. Or, if you have a...
  15. T

2020 0ff the lot

She's a stunner!! Congrats!
  16. T

Help Clearing Moonroof Drain Lines on '16 Explorer With Dead Motor

"Decent" in comparison to the rest. Whether it's Ford, Toyota, GM, whomever... they all have their "behaviors." The Toyota works for me, for now, but I'll abandon them too in a heartbeat if I need. As they would abandon me as a customer. PTU is a bit more of an elevated issue than I think...
  17. T

Help Clearing Moonroof Drain Lines on '16 Explorer With Dead Motor

I've had crappy luck with my own Ford vehicles, so the most recent purchase was a Toyota. That decision was made easier by the Customer Relationship Center putting in an email that they were done talking to me about my Explorer. (Thanks again, Ford, for completely stabbing me in the back on...
  18. T

Heed Help... 2011 Explorer Limited will not start.

Man, if something's "fried," I suspect it would be the BCM. But I've heard of maybe one legitimate BCM failure in 5 years of any Ford vehicle I've tracked, so I'd suspect that it wouldn't be the case. Looking forward to the report...
  19. T

Heed Help... 2011 Explorer Limited will not start.

+1 for bad ground. "Starting System Fault" is usually an indicator of a PATS fault. Said module isn't powering up. Check grounds first before moving forward.
  20. T

Two issues--HVAC and Steering

Good memory, @peterk9! Mine was user error. I had the FMC shock sensor mounted under the dash, somehow it became dislodged and began hitting the column just right. We remounted it and it was gone. That was an aftermarket Ford accessory add, so likely not your problem.
  21. T

Ford ESP owner with rental coverage- loaners provided during service?

^ I'm not even an Explorer owner anymore, can't possibly afford an ST, and even I can't wait to see your new ride, lol!
  22. T

Before we pile on too badly here--also realize that this problem can be intermittent. I was good for a while, had serious issues with it, had the CSP/TSBs/etc done and was good for a bit longer, and then it got really, really bad before I ended up finally dumping the car.
  23. T

Yes, call corporate directly. Considering how much bad PR this got, I suspect Ford /might/ be willing to push this one through for you.
  24. T

Steering Problems

If the car didn't start, check the battery health first. Try to start with a jump.
Back