Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing

I am going to let the dealer reinstall the duct with the factory clips. I just don't want to keep buying new ducts after they fall off. I just bought a new one the end of April and the new one was already coming loose. They said one of the clips had already fallen off. The dealer is standing by...
  2. B

Thanks for the advice. I think I will let the dealer reinstall and keep an eye on it. As I looked back over this post, I was looking at the clips that fit in a square holes that seem to be the problem and a thought came to me.... Could you swap in licence plate fasteners and bolts? The kind...
  3. B

So if we look at it logically........ then the duct is needed for either the towing oil cooler or the turbos. Since the 4WD without towing doesn't have it, it can't be for the PTU...... Correct??? So if it is not for the PTU it must be either for the turbos or towing oil cooler... since my...
  4. B

Crates.... Thanks for your input. I have seen multiple responses that it directs air to the turbos, or the oil cooler, or the PTU (as you said). My thought was it is for the extra oil cooler that only comes with the towing package. Since all 4WD models have a PTU, wouldn't all 4WD models need...
  5. B

Looking for opinions..... I just replaced the duct , at my cost, because I couldn't really be sure when it went missing.... Dealer installed it (at no charge) about 2 months ago and I could see it was straight and tight. Today, I did the recall of the rear toelinks and as I walked back to the...
  6. B

Lower grille cutout?

I think I see a trend here but after reading the entire thread I still can't confirm... It seems that If you have no turbo and no towing pkg... no cutout. If you have towing but no turbo you have the cutout but no ductwork. If you have turbo,(with or without towing) you have the cutout with...
  7. B

Stolen Keys / Door Lock Replacement

That is exactly what I meant and what I would do... If I owned the car and planned on keeping it for 10+ years, I might consider the additional costs of changing the cylinders, but on a lease.... never. Dropping the linkage is very easy, quick to do and totally reversable with no cost except...
  8. B

You have to decide what is best for you but I would still want to keep anyone out of the vehicle. I am stunned the dealer would convince you to do nothing. I still think the simplest, cheapest, and most easily reversible is to pop the linkage to the door cylinder. If you really decide to just...
  9. B

Just an idea.... Why not just disconnect the linkage to the cylinder to disable it but leave it in place. Just use the fob.... when the lease is up, hook it back up... Even if you forget, the correct cylinder is in place for the next owner to just hook back up. Only real down issue is you won't...
  10. B

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Just following up on the sticker issue.... I decided to ask the dealer to get the label and I just had them put it on today. It is the exact same label as the original. I know because the technician checked another 2016 Explorer that was in for service to check the label and the correct...
  11. B

Just a question for all that have gotten a replacement hood. When I had my hood replaced, I asked about the labels under the hood and they suggested I wait at least 4-6 weeks before having them replaced.... if I really wanted them. They said they never had anyone come back for them as it makes...
  12. B

What is this sign in the control panel?!

Quick Google came up with this: What does the snowflake symbol in my car mean? It may be a Frost or Freeze Warning Indicator symbol, or it may indicate that the vehicle has been placed in Snow Mode. ... If there is a button on the console near the shift lever with the snow flake symbol on it...
  13. B

I see what you mean.... but I was told they don't need to cure the paint as they "bake" it now in a heated booth. Either way, the hood could be painted and cured/baked before bringing in the vehicle. They did mention about not washing or waxing for a few weeks. But even if they needed a few days...
  14. B

Yes, my base model didn't have the lettering to do.... but why not wait until the hood and lettering are both in? I am not trying to stir the pot but when I was surprised that it would only take an hour to replace the hood, the dealer body shop said that since it is a new hood, they can...
  15. B

Interesting.... I wonder why they needed the vehicle for 3 days... did they blend the fenders in? My hood was received, prepped/sealed and painted per my paint code and, it was done and ready to install, when they called me to setup an appointment. Hood swap took about an hour.
  16. B

Thanks for all the info.... My dealer moved so fast my head was spinning... Just to recap... saw a small area and decided to have the dealer look at it on Monday... they took pics and sent them to Ford. Got a call Tuesday the new hood is approved. Got a followup call on Thursday that they got...
  17. B

Well, just got word that Ford approved me for a new hood. Dealer said they will order it and they have the new instructions that include the proper prep/paint procedures as well as the extra sealant at panel seams. I assume they will paint it well before I bring the Explorer in and it should be...
  18. B

One other question.... It seems the favorite option of owners is to get a new hood... but a friend mentioned there is no guarantee the new hood is better and could even be worse than the one on the car???? Has anyone who has gotten a new hood had the problem return on the new hood?
  19. B

I am worried they will try to minimize it because the damage right now is minimal. I think the dealer is behind me but don't know if they will really fight Ford if it comes down to it. I am trying to find out what argument anyone used to convince Ford to change their mind. The only idea I have...
  20. B

I just joined the club... very small area over one light on the very edge. It is about a 1/4 square and is starting to crack along the edge... Just over the 3 yr Bumper to Bumper but well within the 5 yr.... Dealer said they were replacing the hoods earlier but recently they have been...
  21. B

All Terrain / Off Road Tires

Wow... These threads pointed to the same articles and reviews I dug for days to find. I should have looked here first.... Thanks
  22. B

All Terrain / Off Road Tires

I have been reading up on what tires to pick when the time comes to replace the tires on my 2016 Base and I have been leaning toward the Toyo Celsius CUV. they come in the right size and they are supposed to be the closest thing to a real all season tire. Supposed to be grippy and quiet on...
  23. B

U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns

Many years ago I used to work on my friend's old Malibu and he cracked two exhaust manifolds (both on the same side). After the second manifold went, we checked everything we could before putting in the third. We discovered a weak but not broken engine mount. When he hit high revs, the engine...
  24. B

Secret Sport Mode? =P Sand Mode

Anyone tried TOW mode with or without changing the TM settings? From what I have read it should raise the shift points to allow more torque without turning off traction control (safer) and unlike Sport mode, it doesn't require manual shift changes. Also it sounds like using SAND mode requires...
  25. B

Secret Sport Mode? =P Sand Mode

I know a lot has been said about using sand mode to emphasis 4wd but if you just need torque to start... Anyone tried engaging the "TOW" selection to raise the shift points? No need to change Terrain Mgt to SAND and having to shift 5th & 6th yourself... or having to do your own shifting in...
Back