Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Thanks for sharing. Splicing the "low wiper fluid" sensor wiring to an aftermarket coolant sensor on the reservoir is how I sleep well at night, as I will have the first jump on when my coolant is low.
  2. I

GPS Unit/Antenna Failure?

The battery has been in the car for 3 months. Per the manual, overnight with the doors closed should "reset" this system. When going into the "service mode", the antenna has 255 satellites found. There are other fields that have "255" listed on this screen. Every other option works in the...
  3. I

GPS Unit/Antenna Failure?

Has anyone had the pleasure in replacing the GPS unit/antenna? Months ago, my battery died. As this car has push-button ignition, the car continued to crank when the battery was low. Needless to say, after replacing the battery the GPS was nonfunctional. There is an "x" over the GPS icon...
  4. I

GPS with "X" on Navigation, no longer functioning

The battery died on my 2012 Limited. Replaced battery. Now the GPS does not function. The compass is stuck on "N". The car location is not accurate. It places me in a field, with occasional motion that is far off from my actual location. The GPS indicator on the map has a "X" over the font...
  5. I

PTU Problems

An update to my PTU issue. I had oil "boiling out" of the PTU at 57000 miles. Took the car to the dealer, where they stated there was no problem, and gave the car back to me. No charge. Took my car to an independent mechanic. He stated that the PTU was "boiling out" fluid, and the level was...
  6. I

2015 Sport - PTU problems

I would have someone check the PTU oil - better fill it back to the top ASAP. So resetting the codes caused the grinding to stop?
  7. I

Idle issues 2013 Explorer Limited

How many miles are on the car? The sound at the engine is the troubling part. Is the sound only when the AC compressor is on? Is the sound coming from the timing chain area/internal water pump - regardless of AC being on?
  8. I

4WD w/2-speed transfer case vs. AWD and "just let the computer decide"

I appreciate the help and advice that people like you give on this forum - it has proven to be an invaluable resource. Cheers!
  9. I

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Many thanks to the people in this forum. Between the PTU and the water pump issue, I have decided to sell this Explorer and purchase a Toyota Highlander or Lexus GX/LX. I work too hard for my money, and I do not lease. I buy a car and keep it for the long term. After reading your posts, and...
  10. I

4WD w/2-speed transfer case vs. AWD and "just let the computer decide"

Mike, My opinion - there is absolutely no comparison between the 4x4 Toyota that you are currently using vs a 4WD explorer when considering your application. The Toyota is superior in every way for the application that you described, without a doubt. You perhaps will not have cooled/heated...
  11. I

PTU Problems

Sorry to hear that - were there any warning signs? Dark oil on the floor/odor? How did the fluid look in the case? I wonder if the oil turned to sludge and the bearings suffered, or if it was a freak occurrence. Glad that it was under warranty.
  12. I

PTU Problems

SSM 45053 – 2007-2015 Various Vehicles Equipped With AllWheel Drive – Propane, Or Natural Gas Odor During Idle OrLow Speed Driving Some 2013-2015 MKZ vehicles equipped with a 3.7L, 2007-2014 Edge, 2007-2015 MKX, 2011-2015 Explorer, 2009-2015 Flex, 2010-2015 MKT, 2008-2015 Taurus...
  13. I

PTU Problems

Did your fluid look like this?
  14. I

PTU Problems

Outstanding! Glad to hear. I wonder if they changed the design from the 2012 (which is what I had). While tackling this job, and referencing the thread that I posted above, my personal thought was how Ford could have designed this unit and slept at night. The smell of this fluid alone is...
  15. I

PTU Problems

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-(photos) The Mazda guys have figured this issue out, and have been on it for years. The above thread is thorough and invaluable. I followed their lead on this process, and saved the PTU from certain...
  16. I

PTU Problems

Here's my opinion. I am certain that this is the underlying problem with this PTU. The variability of failure in this unit, which in design is simple (albeit fatally flawed in terms of lubrication volume) points directly to this tire circumference theory. There is no other practical...
  17. I

PTU Problems

The problem - This 4x4 module will engage the transfer case during acceleration if the vehicle has sets of tires with different circumferences. When the circumferences of the tires are not the same it causes the 4x4 module to believe a slipping condition is present and engage the transfer...
  18. I

PTU Problems

I hope that the quantity of fluid has changed (from the 17oz or so from the prior version)? Is this only in the PI version, and not the normal garden-variety 4WD Explorers? Does this unit also have the cooler addition (which would mean more volume of oil)? If the answer is a recurrent yes...
  19. I

PTU Problems

Does the new "redesign" have a simple drain plug?
  20. I

PTU Problems

I agree - but I keep my cars for the long haul! Having an ESP would only help during the covered interval. That PTU is a ticking timebomb if ignored...
  21. I

PTU Problems

And always visit the forums that pertain to your car before you purchase!
  22. I

PTU Problems

You are absolutely correct. You have to be accountable and responsible in this day and age. There is no free lunch. My advice to anyone about to purchase (not lease) a 4wd explorer is to do their homework regarding the transfer case/PTU. This is a nonservicable part that needs to be...
  23. I

PTU Problems

Mazda is taking care of their customers. They value their business, and have integrity. Mazda has sourced their components from Ford on some models of their CX-9, including a transfer case (PTU) manufactured by FoMoCo. Mazda has extended their warranty repair for 7 years/90,000 miles for...
  24. I

3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed

Fixed it with a momentary switch installed below the control pad Thanks to many on these boards for giving me information to fix this issue. I bought heat shrink tubing, 15g wire, and a momentary switch from Radio Shack. I spliced the switch to the brown lead behind the control...
Back