Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Thanks, As far as I know, its hauling was very limited. L to R is off about 1/2"-5/8", so I think I will go ahead and have them leveled. It has taken a front end hit before I had it. Probably this was overlooked at the collision shop. Back on topic of MPG. I have a bone stock 98...
  2. S

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

I am going in tomorrow for an alignment. Are there any specs I should ask the techs to shoot for? I just replced both lower ball joints and the driver inner tie rod. The front end should be in good shape. I am running Firestone Destination LE tires 245/75/16 (FYI). I plan on asking them...
  3. S

Stalling Problems

IACV indeed. Search for it. I had the same problem and cleaned it up just like was instructed and it is still working 1 yr later. my .02
  4. S

Inner tie rod end replacement

I replaced my Inner Tie Rod this weekend. It took about 1.5 hrs with me crappin around because it was nice out. To my surprise, no bolts were really stuck on the suspension. Even the outter tie rod ends broke free from the hub easily. The only 'trick' I had to use was using a pipe...
  5. S

You should do the above^^^ or have someone sit in it and turn the wheel side-to-side real fast with it parked(and the engine off ,so you can hear). I had my wife do this and I could see the inner tie rod moving up/down/side-to-side. It didn't really move in and out alot like I expected...
  6. S

Yeah, they look different. Outers are 90 degrees and the inners are inline. here is what the one I got looks like: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MCQ&MfrPartNumber=ES3424&PartType=79&PTSet=A It is a different part than your 02.
  7. S

I'm getting ready to do one on my 98 EB. I was wondering if it was too tough to try too. I'll just start taking things apart and find out the hard way. Doesn't seem too bad, but just one tough bolt will turn the whole operation south. And yeah, that clamp looks tough. I'll fill you...
  8. S

Loud "pop" sound when turning hard right

I snapped a sway bar end link on mine. Just wanted to mention it. It is easy to check. It made a pop sometimes on suspension compression.
  9. S

Help! Won't stay running!

agreed. I have a 98 explorer w 122K miles. I just had what sounds like the same problem. Mine would start well enough and it wouldn't idle at all. It ran good, and I could drive if I 2 footed it (gas w/right + brake w/left). I had to keep the gas pedal pressed a little to keep the revs...
  10. S

aftermarket parts

try www.car-part.com :thumbsup: I've gotten stuff for our prelude and integra on that site which were kinda hard to find. Basically it's a compilation of junk yards across the US. good luck!
  11. S

drivers side door handle

On the blach handle on the inside of the door, when you pull the handle, it is geared to another lever which pulls on the rod. The same thing happened to me (wife pulled too hard on the handle and stripped out the plastic gear) Go to a junk yard and get another one, I believe you can use...
  12. S

Brakes locked up !

I would take at least 2 tires off and try to turn the rotor without the engine running. First you should block up the opposite wheels and put it in N. At least you will be able to tell if the stuck part is there or the trans. Also, try to put a feeler gage between the rotor and pads. You...
  13. S

need 98 Dual Media Radio resister values

If you haven't fixed it yet, All resistors have a color coding that tells you the resistance between the 2 leads. If you can see the resistors, you can count and write down the colors of the bands. Once you get this info, go to yahoo or whatever and search for 'resistor color band values' or...
  14. S

Just got a 98 5.0 for the wife

I just did the exact same thing you did. Winter's on the way, wife needs a 4wd. Found a good SUV for 3K less than NADA. Mine is 98 Eddie Bauer with 4.0SOHC. Welcome to the board! A person can find anything Explored related here. I don't think you'll get much better mileage than that, but...
  15. S

Hello, My name is...

Thanks for the welcome wagon!! :thumbsup: Yeah, I know we have alot of cars for just 2ppl, but I might fix up the integra and sell it, or I might just sell it as-is. I dunno. I need to know alot about explorers, but I don't want to post tupid questions, so I'll prolly just cruise the...
  16. S

Hello, My name is...

Chris I am new to the Ford Explorer and also new to even having a 4 wheel drive. ...but I know at least 1 person who thinks I'm smart too. I just bought a 98 Eddie Bauer White/Tan :navajo: from a friend and am excited about owning one. I really liked the Eddie Bauer trim and I know the...
Back