Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Oil Guage Or Pump Faulty?

A little background, I just did the timing chain replacement on my 2003 4.0 190k mile explorer. Have about 20k on the new timing chains. Driving at 60mph my "check guage" light went on and oil pressure guage bounced around a little then went to 0. I pulled off the freeway and when I put it...
  2. G

HARD START AFTER TIMING CHAIN INSTALL

I'll check and post my results. I feel like it may be something else besides the pump since it worked OK when I pulled the motor for the timing chain install.
  3. G

HARD START AFTER TIMING CHAIN INSTALL

I recently installed 3 new timing chains and everything seems to be working great except for a hard start issue I am having. It takes two cranks to get it started. When my fuel tank is over 90% full I don't have the issue. I tried bleeding the fuel rail without any luck. Any ideas?
  4. G

2XXk mile motor, doing chains should I replace anything else?

I don't know if you saw my post yesterday but I am in the similar situation. 190k motor, previous owners mechanic found broken balance shaft tensioner pieces in the pan. I am thinking I am going to first pull the front cover but ultimately end up pulling the motor. Which timing kit did you go...
  5. G

Balance Shaft Tensoner Parts found in pan

Debating weather I pull the front cover and cut the chain and maybe replace the front tensioners or just pull the whole thing and replace all the chains and tensioners. With 190k on the engine already it's a tough call. Ford reman engine is around $3500 and also an option but would rather not...
  6. G

How well do they run with the chain cut? Mine is a 4x4.
  7. G

I didn't think the shop had to pull the engine to replace the pan gasket but I could be wrong. Maybe the pan does not need to come all the way off to replace the gasket but does to replace the tensioner? I have no idea about the condition of the secondary cassettes. I have not taken anything...
  8. G

A friend took their 2002 4.0 XLT into get a leaking pan seal replaced and they found "timing parts" in the pan. I have since bought the truck and determined that the "timing parts" are the broken balance shaft tensioner. The truck has 190k on it and I was wondering what I should do. What are...
Back