Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

How to: Rebuilding a Borg Warner 4404

I don't remember feeling any slop on the input shaft and VC. I do remember a lot of slop on the output due to the stretched chain. The new chain was much tighter. So far, the new VC and the new chain did the trick on my Mountaineer. I have put around 1200 miles on it without any problems.
  2. G

Here is the latest update. If you remember, I had replaced the viscous coupling but was still having problems (scraping/rattling noises, and slipping in 2WD after removing the front drive shaft). I tore it down again to replace the chain. I replaced it with the 070 chain, which was much...
  3. G

Thanks. I did a torsion twist many years back and replaced the keys. I think they are still in good shape, but I am always listening for new squeaks and noises...
  4. G

I had replaced the CV joint on the front driveshaft already, before I changed out the viscous coupling. So the front driveshaft had a new CV and u joints but never used until now. I'm sure I will check it again...
  5. G

I believe I purchased the VC from American Powertrain Warehouse about 1 year ago and finally had the time to swap it out. I get the clunk if I romp on the gas either from a stand still or accelerating hard from a slow speed. I haven't tried anything at high speeds yet..still paranoid that more...
  6. G

I know this thread is over a year old, but I have an interesting problem. I have a 97 Mountaineer with 5.0 AWD. I was experiencing the knocking noise coming from the transfer case (4404). I first took off and rebuilt the front drive shaft (CV 6 bolt) but still had the knocking. I left the...
  7. G

1997 Mountaineer transfer case problems

There are a few threads addressing transfer case problems and viscous coupling problems, but ran into a problem after replacing the VC that has me stumped. A couple of years a ago, I had the knocking problem from the transfer case when accelerating from a complete stop or when really romping on...
  8. G

New Member, old viewer

I have been viewing this forum for many years and finally registered as a member!
Back