Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Weight Distribution Hitch??

Eeek. Didn't notice the date. Sorry
  2. L

The question was can I use a WDH and do I need it. The 'Do I need it was answered'. I answered 'Can I use it'. I thought a little real world experience would be helpful.
  3. L

I tow a Passport 195RB. It's about 3700 lbs. I have a Husky Centerline TS load leveling hitch. All is well. I have run up and down the mountains of the East with ease. When you look at load leveling hitches make sure they include sway control. Most do but it makes them a little noisy. If you see...
  4. L

Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing

We tow a 2016 Passport 195. 19.5' long and ~3700 lbs. WDH and plenty of power. As soon as I find out how to attach a image I'll show it off.
  5. L

Rear Passenger side noise.

I've tried searching and don't see my complaint. I get a noice, not a rattle, more like a clunk on the passenger side around the second row seat when I run over small bumps. Hard to nail down by myself. But, if I fold the right side second row seat down the noice goes away. I have looed at and...
  6. L

Explorer Comparison

I am much too cheap to finance a car. I bought a "stripped" Sport because it met my needs and budget. Extra $25 - $30 here and there and soon you are over your head. When you have no debt life is easy.
  7. L

Explorer Comparison

I have a 2016 Sport and a 3700 lb, 20' travel trailer. Factory hitch, tow mode and trailer sway control are all part of the package. My Sport does a great job pulling my TT up and down the hills and mountains of the North East. Pro: Plenty of power. Very good stability with a load level / sway...
  8. L

Illuminated sill / scuff plate doesn't

The driver's door sil plate no longer lights up. Passenger side still does. I don't see any information on bulb replacement. Under warranty but I'd hate to take it back and have the dealer charge me for a normal wear part. Is this a sealed LED unit? Is there a separate bulb or fuse?
  9. L

New here,

Add me to this list. The things I learn here.
  10. L

2017 VS 2016Highlander comparision

I have a friend with a 2017 Highlander and we've done some comparos. The Ford 'feels' bigger than it is. The Highlander rides softer but than I have a Sport so... We both like the look of the Explorer interior. The Highlander is busy looking. Have not had much snow yet so I can't comment on the...
  11. L

3.5 Ecoboost slow engine warmup

I'm not sure this is a problem, aka bad thermostat, or the 3.5 EcoBoost is just cold blooded. Now that the snow is on the ground I find it takes 6 or 7 miles at 40 MPH or so (10 minutes) for the engine to even get to where heat is coming out the vents. Outside temp is 28F ish. I was really happy...
  12. L

Towing Capacity of 2016 Ford Explorer Sport

Right, MPG. It's anything but slow.
  13. L

Where is the brake controller cable / plug?

OK, I mounted mine on the far right. I can see and manually activate it with my right hand and it's out of the way of my right leg. We should post pictures. I was kinda unsure just where to put it.
  14. L

Towing Capacity of 2016 Ford Explorer Sport

I tow a Passport 195RB with ease. Weight is about 3700 lbs. I use a Husky TS load leveling / anti sway hitch. Down side is 11 MPH and a small gas tank.
  15. L

New Member with Towing Questions!

Not enough information. How big a trailer? How tall and how wide? Wind resistance matters, not just weight. I pull a 19.5 ft. travel trailer, 3700 lbs with a Sport and get 11 ~ 12 MPG.
  16. L

Hitch Cover Alternative?

I agree. I pull a travel trailer and have a bike rack that connects to the hitch. This time of year I pop in the cover.
  17. L

Why I am having trouble buying a new Explorer

The weight is with propane and battery and such but no food or clothing. Weighed at a scrap metal yard. We never dry camp so I don't carry any water. I don't believe food and clothing adds all that much.
  18. L

Actually, when we are camped it looks kinda small when near most others. With the Murphy bed it's perfect for 2. We had looked at bigger TTs but they required a pickup. I made the right decision.
  19. L

The SUV is much better than a pickup, I agree. With all that the Sport model has it works well. My complaint is not with the mileage, 11 is not bad. The problem and my complaint is the size of the fuel tank. The range. BTW, it's 19.5 feet and 3600 lbs. In all regards but fuel capacity it's an...
  20. L

Stupid roof rack plastic twisting.

Dealer ordered 2 new racks and I got them installed a couple of days ago. All 4 corners use to pop up and rattle at low speed and howl at high speed. Now just the right front pops out and rattles and howls. Both rear and left front stay in place. You can feel that the right front doesn't stay...
  21. L

It is under warranty but I'm kinda PO'd that not only is it a semi worthless rack but it's not even well built.
  22. L

Bad enough the 2016 roof rack is almost useless but now the black plastic parts in the front and back, both sides, is seperating from the base of the rack. Is this common? Is it worth taking back to the dealer?
  23. L

Radio not working on startup

Last Friday I returned to the dealer for my free oil change, tire rotation, check. I told the service writer about the radio but said it would be hard to diagnose as it was working. There is a NOTE from Ford on this and a software update to fix the problem. Software update bricked the radio and...
  24. L

I turn the radio off when backing the travel trailer so I can hear my wife's comments. Plus, IT'S A NEW CAR! Everything should work.
  25. L

I took my Explorer to the dealer for oil change and tire rotation. I brought up the radio issue, but it was working at that time. The service writer said there was a procedure to reboot the system and upload new firmware. Radio problem is not intermittent anymore. Now it just doesn't work...
Back