Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Easy EGR valve and tube replacement 5.0

I was dreading replacing the EGR valve and tube, having read many threads & videos about what needs to be removed to get access. Here is how I did mine without removing any other parts, hoses, etc. On my 2000 Mountaineer 5.0 I got in there with a standard length 27mm wrench and began loosening...
  2. T

I've got one for you, I'm stumped...

I just had a similar situation with random dying and starting. Mine always pointed to the fuel pump. To make a long story short, my problem was a bad ground at the fuel pump connector. Checking for power at the inertia switch lit a test light and showed 12 volts, but the pump would not run...
  3. T

First Gen (91-94) Tan Passenger armrest/door pull $10

I have a new right hand side door pull/armrest in tan color. Ten bucks plus whatever shipping costs. I'm in Tennessee.
  4. T

SOHC Advice

So a couple of weeks ago a guy ran a red light and totaled my faithful 91 Ex. I had owned her 23 years almost to the day. Fast forward to a 1999 Ex for sale. Body is good, leather is good, transmission was replaced last year. Elderly owned, being sold by estate. I'm all set to pull the...
  5. T

Transmission Shops in Boise, Idaho?

My daughter lives in Boise, ID. She has a code 646 on on her 95 Explorer. The shop that ran the codes told her she needs a new transmission for $1600. This may or may not be true, but I'd like somebody to adjust the bands before going any further. Can you guys recommend a shop that a 24 year...
  6. T

A4LD leaking from REAR

The A4LD 4 wheel drive doesn't have a rear seal. It has a drain hole back to the transmission, but that appears to be clear.
  7. T

A4LD leaking from REAR

I haven't found this one on the forums -- We just replaced the engine in a 1991 EX, and now the A4LD is leaking between the transmission and transfer case. We pulled the transfer case off to see if we could have left a rag in the back of the tranny, but it was clean. When we pulled the...
  8. T

A4LD Shifts through all gears, then nothing

Thanks - I didn't check the solenoids; I put a couple from a different transmission in because the plastic innards felt like they moved around. I will check that one to see if it got burned up. I appreciate the thoughts. -- Mike
  9. T

A4LD Shifts through all gears, then nothing

Here's my sad tale of woe. Son used the 1991 Explorer to tow his girlfriend's car; transmission was extremely low on fluid and he got it hot & black, then gave it back to me. It wouldn't shift into forward gears; only had reverse. I drained it, put a new filter and a jug of transmagic in...
  10. T

Homemade Console & Ham Radio Install

1991 Explorer: I've been stripping a wreck and had a spare console (just the cup holder part, not the armrest) and I thought "Hmm, maybe I can do something with this. I cut it down on the jigsaw and reversed it & voila, a nice console. I took a piece of plastic and painted it black, mounted...
  11. T

Can't shut the door!

Another good deed gone bad. I went out after work to replace the striker bolt on my wife's 1991 XLT. Should be a 5 minute job, but when I unscrewed the striker bolt, CLUNK! - the nut plate fell off inside the door. I have it jerry-rigged, and called the 'Zone to see if they had anything to...
  12. T

Roof Rack Rails failed - what now?

DeRocha - it pulled the towers out of the tracks, bent the tracks where the towers connected. it didn't pull the screws through the roof, although one track was bent enough it lifted away from the roof about 1/8 inch where the tower was. I've removed the tracks & put the screws back in to keep...
  13. T

No rain gutters on my Explorer! My Explorer doesn't have rain gutters -- didn't know any of them did. But let's not start a thread about rain gutters. Is there any other good way to put a SOLID rack on top of my '91?
  14. T

I didn't really know where to post this -- If I hadn't been REALLY BUSY running around I-24 picking up pieces, I could have posted it in OOPS! Bought a set of Thule load bars & a stacker & loaded two kayaks on it. They came off in Nashville at 70 mph and left the kayaks all over the...
  15. T

Ford 9" rear end

Ford Nine Inch info All you ever wanted to know about which rear you have: http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
  16. T

CheckBall question

check balls Sorry to be so late answering - just saw the thread. I recently did the VB job. The Superior kit had instructions about leaving one ball out if you originally had 5 (mine had 4). The TRANSGO kit tells you to install the extra check ball even if you originally did not have one...
  17. T

Power Window problem...please take a look. :(

Window motor I assume you are checking for power at the connector plug to the motor and not at the switch. If not, it's possible the connector is burned or corroded inside & not making a good contact. From what you describe, it would have to be the wiring between the switch & the motor. If...
  18. T

Transmission dumped all fluid at once?

Trannie Pro? Thanks, Glacier! It's great to hear from you! I made it through the valve body & would do that again, but I'm pretty certain that doesn't make me a pro. Maybe 15% pro, but probably no more ;) I'm thinking along the lines of performance nut -- hoping it's something like a...
  19. T

Transmission dumped all fluid at once?

I'm looking at a '92 with a bad transmission. The story is the son drove it over to his girlfriend's house, and when they went to leave, it went "pop" and dumped all the fluid. They say he didn't drive it, they towed it home & parked it. Sounds like a ruptured seal, but why the "pop?"...
  20. T

bmxking5

:thumbsup: Nice guy to deal with - shipped quick & wanted to make sure everything worked for me. I would certainly buy from him again. Thanks!!!!!!!!
  21. T

A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Journal - Reassembly (w/pics)

Got mine from DACCO - link at the top of my thread. in the $20 range for each part.
  22. T

Fluctuating Water Temperature

Something to try I have a coworker who recently had a very similar problem with a Probe. To cut to the punch line, the Haynes manual shows the toggle valve at the top, which he had been doing. This puts the bulb that controls the thermostat at the bottom. It turns out (in the Probe anyway)...
  23. T

A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Journal - Reassembly (w/pics)

Transgo Kit Sorry I wasn't more clear in the thread - Personally, I would purchase the Transgo kit again, if only for the instructions. Drilling out the VB and the separator plate made a world of difference in mine. All for the better. I could tell zero difference in the reverse mod.
Back