Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

About ready to roll it off a cliff!

Have you tried this; the ECU still thinks you have a dirty throttle body and needs to re-learn.
  2. C

Fuel gauge inaccurate after fuel pump replacement

Possibly the wrong float assembly connected to the sensor. Sensor assembly should have been part of the pump assembly part number for your vehicle. Sensors can be bought separately though .Whatever it is, it will require dropping the tank again.
  3. C

At what mileage did your fuel pump die

Rent or borrow a fuel pressure tester, test the fuel pressure and fuel flow rate by timing how long it takes to fill a vessel of known volume. Not hard to do and there is plenty of info available on the topic. At least you can feel confident that there are no internal leaks, and the motor is...
  4. C

Something weird happened tonight (no start)

Sometimes they just die, leaving you stranded. Other times they develop internal leaks where they may for example only show symptoms when the fuel level is low. Here is a good explanation of the later:
  5. C

Driver side CV-Joint

I think you need to really slam it in (fast and hard by hand) to get it to lock into the clip.
  6. C

Lean code, Random Multiple Misfires

With a lean condition, probably detected by the front O2 Sensor means the air fuel ratio has too much air for the amount of fuel being injected. There is air entering the engine that the computer does not know about, as in a vacuum leak or air intake leak. The Mass Airflow Sensor is responsible...
  7. C

No dash, no crank, no start

I think you did the right thing, not a waste. Very good info, thanks, and I'll be watching. With that scan tool you should be able to see live data from the IC controller as well as any DTCs stored internally. Will be interesting...
  8. C

Stalling when in Gear along with Flickering Lights

With crankshaft sprocket on its mark, the two camshaft sprockets should line up. But this will not happen on every revolution of the crank. May take several turns, but it should line up. I don't know why, but I have been assuming you just got this car.
  9. C

My apologies, I must have misread you post regarding the solenoid. I can not confirm bank 1 location as I only did a quick google search. I'm sorry if I was wrong. Was it hard to change? On the Subaru you you had to take part of the timing cover off. How did the old one look, could you move...
  10. C

Here is the VVT (or CVT) solenoid for your engine. I would find it, take it out and try to clean it. Then replace with new it if needed. Drivers side (bank 1) first. But it could also be the sprocket assemble (phaser) and even a skipped tooth on the timing chain. Hope this helps. I always...
  11. C

Here is the OP's original post last week, after replacing the IM gaskets. The Diagnostic trouble codes then and now lead to a timing problem which will certainly lead to low power at idle. Good luck. oops: 06 Mountaineer No Spark after changing Gaskets..
  12. C

In place of an IAC the electronic throttle body does an idle calibration after a PCM reset. If that TB is dirty the throttle plate may be closed up more than it should be with gunk from years of PCV and EGR blowing past it. Pull off the TB and clean it. There are instructions online.
  13. C

Sometimes Lazy, Sometimes Strong..

I agree, even a cheap scanner can show mass airflow, absolute throttle position, timing advance and others. The computer measures the airflow which is determined by the throttle body plate. Then meters out fuel to match the air flow at a specific ratio. I think you can see the pedal position also.
  14. C

Random rough idle

If they had the battery off for a while doing the transmission, there is a throttle body adaptation cycle that takes about 10 minutes from cold start through warm up. There are some good video on this topic, I did it after replacing my radiator and it made a big difference. Also maybe a good...
  15. C

06 Mountaineer No Spark after changing Gaskets..

Sure, the sensor is just the messenger. the solenoid valve does the work. You can possibly clean it, it is a valve that controls oil that moves the phasers which advance and retards the cams. If it is stuck and either extreme, your engine will run badly. Check and compare both sides. Remember...
  16. C

I still think you have a timing problem on bank 1 with the Variable Camshaft Timing which is driven by engine oil,
  17. C

How Well Are 4th Gens Holding Up?

I bought my 2010 XLT 4.0 SOHC in 2014 with 110k miles. It had been fleet maintained most of that time and was very clean. Records showed a rear axle and seals replaced. As soon as I got it I replaced transfer case fluid and front differential fluid, Replaced transmission filter and 6 quarts...
  18. C

First get that oil cleaner up. Do a long drain, and maybe use something like BG engine restorer and.synthetic oil. It.will take a few.changes. Worst case, chunky oil can destroy rod bearings etc. Then its over. Clean oil needed for CVT to operate properly.
  19. C

Interesting. I know you said you read no codes, so I assume the PCM has power. To be sure, you should see the check engine light come on for a few seconds when you turn the key on. If not, check the fuses. Otherwise have fun chasing the wires, hope it works.
  20. C

I have been lurking on this forum for 2 years, and you are only my 2nd response, and I have the 4.0 V6 which has a single coil pack.Why did you suspect a vacuum leak? Having said that; What engine do you have? New or used?, How many miles? Service history? It may have nothing to do with your...
  21. C

On the thought of timing, It would be easy to check the two hydraulic timing chain tensioners. On startup they rely on an internal spring until oil pressure builds. One could be stuck. I think it is a 22mm wrench.
  22. C

Sorry, I had DOHC on my mind. Only one cam sensor. What I meant by checking the connector is to check that power +5V and Ground are present on the connector. You can use a volt meter or a test lamp. The signal will be a frequency when the shaft is turning, if you meter supports frequency you...
  23. C

The crankshaft position and both camshaft positions are required for the PCM to trigger a spark. You can at least check the connector to the new sensor for broken wires etc. As your original codes were related to that sensor, I would concentrate on it. I have an OBDLINK MX bluetooth OBD adapter...
  24. C

ABS B1342 Code Help

The error mentions a "Trip Reset Switch Failure". This switch can be used to enter diagnostics mode if you hold it down while turning ON the Key switch. If the switch is faulty / shorted etc, it may interrupt the normal boot up of the ECU. I would check that first. I have used that method many...
  25. C

Tonight's new problem with the Explorer!

if it is low battery voltage it could be the ECM relay dropping voltage. An easy test is to swap it with I believe the starter relay.
Back