Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Head unit differences

Yeah I would prefer to be able to do the comparisons and if could. However I am trying to this without pulling his radio as its going to be a christmas present.
  2. S

Head unit differences

Thanks for the info I know the two new ones look the same as what he has except for the CD slot. My dad likes the factory look so thats the only reason im looking for a used factory unit. Thanks
  3. S

Head unit differences

My father has a 97 explorer with the base stereo. I want to get him a factory cd player for christmas. I have found a 98 single disk and an 01 6 disk player. Will either of these fit in his 97?
  4. S

MAJOR steering problem

Update for anyone who cares... Tore the front end apart this past weekend and discovered that the drivers side U-Joint behind the spindle was completely seized. After we got the old one out we discovered that the needle bearings were just dust. Its back together and driving great again, but...
  5. S

MAJOR steering problem

Where is this adjuster bolt? what does it look like?
  6. S

MAJOR steering problem

I did about 6 months ago, which is why the pump was replaced. It spilled all if its fluid and they leaked after that
  7. S

MAJOR steering problem

Pump was replaced (junk yard unit) about 6 months ago Pump is not noisy Fluid looks good Leaks a little bit, but not enough to need any added At first I thought it was the pump as well, but now im thinking steering box. I seriously don't want to go through installing another one of those.
  8. S

MAJOR steering problem

So my truck starting having very heavy steering a few weeks ago. Then it progressed to not fully returning to straight after a turn. Now tonight I had a scary situation where the tires turned one way and when I turned the steering wheel nothing happened. About 15 seconds later the steering...
  9. S

Anyway to adjust the seat back?

I had thought about that route, but would rather not spend the money if I can help it. This is not my DD so im in no rush to fix it. I got busy this weekend so I didn't get the seats out to look at them yet. Also these seats are in nearly mint condition which is nice for an 18 year old truck.
  10. S

Well that sucks lol I plan to take the seat cover off in the next week or so and see if I can see any visible damage
  11. S

I searched and couldn't find anything Long story short I was rear ended in my 91 explorer and everything was fixed up by the body shop except one thing and I don't feel like dealing with them anymore. The recline lever on the seats works like normal and none of the teeth are stripped. My...
  12. S

Help with seats

A few weeks ago I was rear ended on the highway in my X. The body shop fixed my bumper and gave the truck an alignment. Later I realized that the driver and passenger seats are always now slightly more reclined than normal. I took off the plastic cover and inspected the mechanism and none of...
  13. S

god gave me snow.. tires failed.

I previously had the general AT on in stock size and I thought they were great for the price. Now I recently put on the Kumho AT in 31" and all I can say is I will never look at another tire. So far in up to 7" of snow and ice I haven't even engaged the 4wd yet. These tires bite in the snow...
  14. S

Extreme stock 4x4ing

good luck on growing up
  15. S

Solved Your Stock Auto/Manual hub info - Ranger / 91-94 X

My warn hubs don't click into lock either, its more of a friction hold. They do then click into free mode
  16. S

Loud click/thunk when in 4x4 coming from front driver side

I agree The sound you are mentioning is exactly how my truck sounded when I was stuck in a muddy field. I had no power going to the front wheels and I just heard clicking. Replaced the auto hubs with warn manuals and problem solved
  17. S

A slight shudder @ idle. Fuel Filter?

Mine was also had a shudder at idle and I swapped the plugs and now im good. I would swap plugs and wires and it if doesn't go away then do the fuel filter. Might also want to pour in a bottle of dry gas
  18. S

Help with new tire installation

Update: Last night I took the truck to another shop to have them check the balance. They rebalanced the drivers front and passengers rear because they were off. The truck now rides 100% better. I lost the shimmy in the steering wheel and now I only get a slight vibration over about 75...
  19. S

Help with new tire installation

Ok so I just had 31x10.5x15 tires installed on my explorer tonight. Previously I had the stock size general all terrain tires. They always rode a little harsh but didn't vibrate. Now I had the Kumho AT KL78's installed and as soon as I got on the highway the truck vibrated ALOT to the point...
  20. S

Help with Rough Idle/might be missing

First my truck ran 100% perfect and smooth while the weather was warmer. Now that it has been cold around here for about the last month it has been idling very rough and feels like a bad miss. It actually feels like it has a high lift cam in it when its cold. Once the truck warms up it runs...
  21. S

Help! Battery gauge drops to Low

Same thing happened to me in my 91X about a year ago. I was driving and saw the volts drop, and like a dummy I kept driving it like that. This happened while we were camping and about 5 times over the weekend I would see the needle jump up to normal for about a mile, which I guess was enough...
  22. S

Where is my oil going?

The oil I gave to the shop to put in it was Valvoline Max Life 10W-30. Which I actually just realized is a synthetic blend. I may start putting Mobile 5000 in it which is what I ran in my last engine.
  23. S

Where is my oil going?

Nope no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant. I have no idea how long the engine was sitting before i got it. I can only hope that by driving it something will seal up and the oil loss will go away. We are going to torque everything this weekend, but at worst case scenario I will...
  24. S

Where is my oil going?

Coolant doesn't look contaminated and the PCV valve is new. We are going to re torque all the bolts this weekend and see what we find.
  25. S

Where is my oil going?

Ok so I recently had a junkyard engine put in my 91X. The engine was from a 92 and was "low" mileage as all junkyard engines are. The engine runs twice as strong as my old engine ever did and is soo smooth. I love driving my truck now except for the fact that it goes through a quart of oil...
Back