Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Front Wheels Whining After Suspension Work

It's not air in the system as I've tried figure 8's multiple times. Fluid level is fine. The sound is more of a rubber squeaking than a whine. As I said I located a rubber seal in the wheel well that is the culprit as I felt it vibrating as I turned the wheels. Just wondering how the work I had...
  2. I

Front Wheels Whining After Suspension Work

98 SOHC 4WD 170,000 mikes. Recently had my local independent replace the front end suspension to include upper/lower control arms, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar end links, CV half shafts, and Cam Bolt kit with alignment for $600 in labor. All parts were Moog problem solver other than Cardone...
  3. I

Multiple electric issue '96

Check out eBay unless you want to pull from a junkyard which costs time. They have model/year specific gems listed that have been tested. About $40 shipped. It's a plug and play fix. To reprogramming or dealer visit is required. Nothing lost but an hours time by giving it a try. Or you could...
  4. I

Multiple electric issue '96

About 3 months ago I lost my windows, wipers, dome light and door chime. Without a scan, from prior posts here I self diagnosed as them GEM. Bought a used on a the bay for $35. The day I was going to replace the gem I opened the door and the lights were on with all other functions working. If...
  5. I

Acceleration Hesitation

I had a similar issue happen with my 98 SOHC. I would intermittently get a hesitation with acceleration from a stop. Had the X die a couple of times in an intersection or coming of a freeway ramp. From my readings here I was directed to the IAC valve. Very easy to get too and remove. $5 for a...
  6. I

98 XLT Multiple Electrical Gremlins

From digging up prior posts with this issue sounds to be an issue with the GEM. Looks to be located behind the stereo. If I get one for a 4x4 2nd gen should be plug and play. Does it sound like im on the right track?
  7. I

98 XLT Multiple Electrical Gremlins

98 XLT with no prior electrical problems other than a horn not working for several years. 2 days ago I had a simultaneous multiple system failure to involve the power windows, windshield wipers, and dome lights. I looked in the maintance manual and switched out a few related fuses with no...
  8. I

Hands Free Phone Options

For my 98 I Just had a Kenwood installed with Bluetooth/USB port. $225 installed out the door. Any base model of major manufacturer will work. I think install was $60 and the mic for the phone was placed nicely. Now I'm looking to remove the 6 disk CD from the console to free up space.
  9. I

Stumped!!

Maybe the fuel pump. They will act that way on their way out.
  10. I

Borg Warner 4405 rebuild vs reman ?

Thanks, I have decided to go with a reman. Any recommendations on a company. Anybody have experience with the RETECH available from rockauto? It comes with a 3 year warranty. Planning to ride the current case out till it blows or 200,000 miles but want parts on hand for when the time comes.
  11. I

Borg Warner 4405 rebuild vs reman ?

Sounds like the transfer case for my 98 4.0 SOHC with 160,000 miles is on its way out. Last few times I've tried to engage 4x4 it grinds, I'll throw it in nuetral then it will slip in. A few months ago the auto 4x4 turned itself on during a rainy night and it made one hell of a racket. Fresh...
  12. I

New Shocks

As the explorer is already a bit high you will want a jack that can go to at least 19-20 inch. My first one was an $80 1.5 ton harbor freight but it only went to 14 inch. Couldn't even get the tires off the ground. I replaced it with another 1.5 ton that went to 20 inch.
  13. I

New Shocks

If your shocks are orriginal this will be money well spent you will notice the difference in ride quality and the shocks will help extend the life of your tires/suspension. Goodyear was right to reccomend replacement and you were right to come here for advice before getting robbed.
  14. I

New Shocks

Buy the front/rear Sensatrac set. Amazon can't be beat if your a prime member.
  15. I

New Shocks

Yeap the Monroe 58617 are the Sensatracs. Lifted my saggy rear nicely. Quality shocks are less than $200 and $400 for install in too much. If your not at DIY type find a local shop that will let you bring your own shocks in. Even in overpriced California I had it done for under $200.
  16. I

New Shocks

I put on Monroe Sensatracs from what I had read on the forum. Nice ride. I picked them up for less than $150 from Amazon. Had my local install front and rear for less than $200 so I can't speak to install.
  17. I

Low rough idle stalling

Have you cleaned the IAC idle air controll valve? Can of throttle body cleaner and 10 min is all it takes. Shoot what's left of the can in the throttle body. If it's never been cleaned take it off and clean the backside of the plate as well. Could be another issue by this corrected my idle...
  18. I

2000 Ford Explorer 4.0sohc engine swap

What was your maintance history with the timing chains to get to 275,000 miles. How long were you in the "death rattle". I'm at 160,000 with my 98 SOHC and was hopping to make it to 200,000 with my light rattle at start up. Your post gives me hope.
  19. I

Pulling SOHC for Timing Chains

I read your past post David, Thank you!!! I'll look into this. Even if it only extended engine life by 10,000 miles it would be worth the couple hundred dollar investment of your set up. I'm looking into a pre oiler sold by Engineprelube.com. $270 Looks like a good product with support to help...
  20. I

I would like to see this engine through to 300k plus. I know it's history, it was my mothers car for first 75k then it was "sold" to me for a $1 after I got out of the Navy and entered college. Hate to buy unknown history. Thanks to Ford engineers it looks like I'm going to drive till...
  21. I

Looking for advice from those of you who have been there and done it. I have a 98 4.0 SOHC with close to 160,000 miles on it. Would like to push it to 300k if possible. She has been driven and maintained well. TSB was addressed in 2001 at 40,000 miles. After lurking around the site I'm...
  22. I

Front suspension grinding now squeaking???

Yep when it's time I'm going with MOOG problem solver line. Oddly enough once I got out of the wet weather the suspension quited down. Still don't know what the grinding sound was. Taking the X in to my local indie tomarrow for a look over and lube of the suspension. Even if all is well next...
  23. I

Thanks guys. Been scouring rock auto and I got the parts round up. I'll add CV joints/boots to the list. What's the concensus on MOOG vs Motorcraft? MOOG gets good reviews for the most part but looks likes QC issues are arising since they landed in China. All Motorcraft parts can be had...
  24. I

Searching the site looks like I'll need (MOOG) (1) Inner/Outer tie rods (2) Lower ball joints only, lower control arms should not be worn out? (3) Upper control arms with ball joints (4) Sway bar bushings/endlinks. I'm seeing 27,29,34 mm bushings at rockauto. Which size to order or do I need...
  25. I

98 4.0 SOHC 4wd with 160,000 miles and orriginal suspension. New shocks with good brakes and rotors. Currently in the middle of a 600 mile road trip. Two nights ago I noticed a grinding sound coming from the front end while coming to a stop. Almost sounded like brakes to rotors. It only...
Back