Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

2001 Explorer Bad Vibration

Well it's been a few months but I figured I'd just post what was going on with my explorer. I had both rear axle seals replaced and the differential looked good, plus rear pads, rotors and calipers replaced. Then about two weeks after that, the front brakes started grinding and eventually got...
  2. J

Yeah I definitely plan on avoiding a Ford dealer for sure. I had a coworker offer to do it now for $125 as long as I buy the parts. I was under the truck last night and finally found out I have the 4.10 8.8 Limited slip. If the whole thing with my coworker and/or friend falls through, I'll...
  3. J

I went to a local junk yard and they quoted me at $275 for the part and a friend of mine could put in in for $500. For curiosity sake, I called the local ford dealer and they said I'd be looking at over $1000. They told me they could replace the rear axle seal for $250 and maybe the...
  4. J

I'll take my vehicle to he local ford dealer and have them inspect it. Thanks for the input, I dont know a lot about mechanical stuff so I'm just getting brainwashed with what they are saying lol. I could check the inside of the rim and try and see what type of fluid it is. I got some one me...
  5. J

I took it to Sears Automotive and had my friends husband look at and they both said that the rear axle seal is leaking and the differential is going bad. Do you know if I can just replace the axle seal and not mess with the rear diff? The rear passenger tire is caked with oil/fluid on the...
  6. J

Explorer stuck in 4X4 High??

Thanks much!!!!!!!!!
  7. J

Thanks for the Response! I don't ever intentionally drive it on a dry surface with the 4X4 on except for trying to figure out what was going on here.. When I bought this vehicle from a friend, they were told the transfer case motor was shot, which was causing the lights to blink on the dash...
  8. J

Well I don't know if this helps or not but I put my phone on record and put it under the front driveshaft, drove back and forth in a parking stall but the front driveshaft is spinning even though the selector on the dash is in Auto 4X4
  9. J

Hello, I recently posted a thread about a nasty vibration with my explorer while accelerating and I noticed something with my 4X4 system and I'm not sure if this is an issue or not. I have a 2001 Explorer XLT (4.0l SOHC) and when I bought it the 4X4 lights would flash about 6 times every...
  10. J

I have a 2001 XLT with a 4.0 V6 SOHC and it has developed a pretty bad vibration when accelerating. I bought the truck in December of 2016 and the only issues with it were the thermostat being stuck open and the 4X4 lights were flashing. Well I disconnected the battery and got the 4X4 lights...
  11. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

I did alternate the bolts when tightening, but good news is now it hasn't been leaking since I last posted. Not sure if the coolant I saw was just what was left from the previous leak. I've been driving it with great heat, temp gauge working normal! I'll keep an eye on it though for the next...
  12. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

Got it started...the metal cable on the throttle must have been positioned weird. I tried everything then pulled back on it to give it some slack and it started right up. Still leaking coolant though. The thermostat housing wont sit flush with the lower half no matter what I do.
  13. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

Well ink what happened but I got the thermostat housing repositioned a littler better...hooked everything back up and now I can't get it to stay on. It starts then immediately shuts off followed by the check engine then check gauge light. The only thing I did differently this time was...
  14. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

Thanks everyone for the help. I will go and look at it again if it stops raining here. Do you know if the o ring is supposed to sit on top of the thermostat freely? When I installed it on top of the thermostat I tucked it down on the top/almost side of it. Was that not right? It looked...
  15. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

I didn't check my oil yet but I noticed that the coolant is slowly leaking in between the thermostat housing lid and where it connects to. I tried repositioning it but I keep having issues where one of the 3 screws that hold the lid on goes in crooked so I don't think its sealing properly. The...
  16. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

Yeah that's the engine I have. What's weird is that the fluid leaking looks orange but my coolant is green. I drove it home from work which is a 40min drive and once I got closer to home the heat turned cold for a few minutes then went back to hot. The engine started smoking solid white smoke...
  17. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

I put the new thermostat in and the heat works great and my temp gauge is normal but now I'm leaking coolant somewhere? Never had any leaks prior to this.
  18. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

Both the coolant container and Radiator Cap are good to go.
  19. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

Oh I forgot not mention that even when it's decent weather here, the temp gauge never goes past C much at all, so I wasn't sure if something was faulty with the way it reads temps.
  20. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

I went out at lunch and looked at the coolant level and it's way past the cold fill line on the container. I never thought about checking the radiator cap....If I don't see coolant when the cap is removed, does that mean I need to add some? When I went to pick lunch up I noticed that when the...
  21. J

2001 Explorer Heat issue

I know there are several posts about heat issues with the explorers, but I never seem to find a definite answer. I know each issue is different so I have been brainstorming ideas. I have a 2001 Explorer XLT with 127,000 miles and the heat seemed to be working okay when the temp was in the 20's...
  22. J

2001 Explorer factory Subwoofer install

looks good! I'll mess around with this in a few weeks when it's not so cold. The temp was -8 where I'm at in wisconsin! LOL
  23. J

I'm not too familiar with the High-Low converters. Would I just tap into the rear speaker wires for the sub? Also are they pretty easy to hook up to an amp? Sorry, I just don't know a whole lot about this stuff actually lol. Last time I hooked up anything was in my 2000 grand prix gtp 5...
  24. J

I'll do that then! I was hoping to keep the factory head unit for the sake of look, but I'll just end up putting a new head unit in and see how it all sounds. Already replaced the door speakers with aftermarket! On ebay I found a BOSS CX8 sub for 30ish dollars.
  25. J

I went to a junkyard today and purchased the factory subwoofer and amp for $10 but my explorer was not equipped with one originally so I was wondering is it possible to wire this to the factory CD/cassette combo radio? I also grabbed the wire harness that goes from the amp all the way up where...
Back