Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

New Therm Stat = Better Mpg

Be carefull about the T-stat. There was a $6 part (much smaller) and a $26 part, (much larger and more sophisiticated looking). Much had to do with the E X models. I have a E model which corresponds to SOHC 4.0. Strgzr
  2. S

Sorry I haven't gotten back, we Sailors tend to get underway alot. Yes my heat was not real hot. More importantly, it took forever to the thing to put heat out...
  3. S

I have a Scan Tool that gives live readings... Kinda expensive but before, mine only got to 1/3 the way up. Now it is just less than half way. A little higher to represent 20 degrees. Regards, Strgzr
  4. S

Forgot to mention, the X runs now from 192 to 205 varying. The old one was stuck at 182 after warm up... Oh, 82K miles on the meter...later
  5. S

My 99 x was getting crappy milage. Temp was only getting to 182 degrees. Put a new NAPA Therm stat rated at 195-200 degrees and WOW. Fuel milage went up significantly. Asked my Dad (Mech) about the 15-20 degree difference and fuel milage and he thought that that small variation can make a...
  6. S

My 99xlt coolant only 180 Degrees..low MPG?

New therm stat installed Installed the new therm stat. Temp is 192-201 now rather than the 182 I was getting before. Verdict is out but I hope my MPG goes up a bit. Napa guy (pretty helpful fella)thought it would with a 15 -20 degree difference. Pretty painless job on my 99 SOHC "E" engine...
  7. S

My 99xlt coolant only 180 Degrees..low MPG?

Hey Folks, Wondering if it is time for a new thermostat. My coolant temp stays at 180. never gets to 190 or above. MPG sucks at around 14 around town. MPG is much better in the summer. I am wondering if the thrmostat is opening too early or stuck open. Even when it is lower than 170...
  8. S

Idle cycling & low load stumbling SOLVED!!!!

Picked up a Actron Super autoscanner today. Pretty cool to monitor sensor values. Next time maybe I can save some money...
  9. S

One other thought I noted that the sumbling only ocurred after the X warmed up. I guess it runs in a closed loop when warming up where by the sensors (in this case the O2) is not taken into account until after the engine is up to temp. Regards, Strgzr
  10. S

1994 Limited 3 fuel pumps in 4 months.......... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No mention of fuel filter change here?
  11. S

Oh yeah. I did have Autozone scan the truck. P1150 "Lack of Ho2S21 Switch - Adaptive Fuel At Limit" P1151 "Lack of Ho2S21 Switch - Sensor indicates Lean" Guess I reset the code too quick. Should have paid this more attention than I did. Kept thinking ignition/vacuum leak and other...
  12. S

BTW... 99 XLT 4x4
  13. S

Symptoms: After air filter change, at load 1500 RPM with soft pedal touch, symptom indicated an ingnition hesitation. Changed: Throttle Postion Sensor Air Idle Control Valve Fuel Filter NOT FIXED :confused: . Went to ROWE Ford and performed 90.00 Diagnostic. Found Driver...
Back