Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. ExPlat

Jerky Windows on 2014 XLT: Advice Wanted...

Nice one Peter, good find! I see that my memory is not so good... :hammer: It was a piece of plastic foam they put in my window channel 'way back then'. I quote myself from Post 115 (June 21, 2018) from that Thread: Windows stutter... "On the 3rd attempt my Dealer installed a very thin strip...
  2. ExPlat

Jerky Windows on 2014 XLT: Advice Wanted...

When my new 2016 did that with both the driver/passenger windows I had the Dealer look at it under warranty. They tried lubricant, no joy, days later the problem returned. Finally the Tech pushed a long (12" + or -), thin/flat piece of window felt in the channel to fill in the little gap...
  3. ExPlat

Center Console Glove Box Cover Options?

I found a decent one on Ebay last year but that company is out of stock, a similar one is available now but the price has gone way up. For reference, take a look here...
  4. ExPlat

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Gotta love those ESP Warranties, your water pump repair was quite extensive! Like you I've had many low mileage failures including the PTU, EPAS, Water Pump, cameras, A/C seats, windshield cowl, power windows, etc, etc.. So far they have all been covered by one warranty or another. My ESP ends...
  5. ExPlat

The Dealer finally acquired all the parts and finished the water pump repair my 2016 ExPlat yesterday. I was told that my Explorers timing gear/chain and associated parts looked like new so only the all new water pump and various new bolts, gaskets, sealants, coolant, oil/filter and other...
  6. ExPlat

The Dealer called, the water pump is bad and will be replaced, no coolant in the oil so far. Authorization for parts is in process/ordered. As for the timing chain and other parts, they will are be checked for wear, if needed they will be included. At 51,000 miles the Service Advisor doubted...
  7. ExPlat

I dropped my ExPlat at the Dealer this morning and when the Service Advisor and I lifted the hood he said "Ooof, wow, I can smell the coolant". When I mentioned my Ford ESP Warranty he brightened up and happily said 'I can sure use that' - LOL. We shall see what happens now.
  8. ExPlat

Yes, one might think that at 51k miles a water pump failure would be rare. However, within the last 6 months my Explorer is the 3rd to be reported on this Forum with under 55k miles driven on them. See Post 1,165 @ 54k and Post 1,178 @ 44k miles, then mine @51k miles, There was a 4th reported...
  9. ExPlat

Ya, sure I did, no apparent coolant in the oil. I'll drive it the 8 miles to the Dealer, fingers crossed. As far as the cost to repair, I have 6 months left on my extended Ford PremiumCare ESP Warranty with $100 deductible. I'll report back in a few days what repairs are needed. This Dealer...
  10. ExPlat

Well, that was quick... After noting in another thread here that the Explat was running nicely, I spotted coolant drops on the garage floor under the passenger side of the car engine. I'd marked the coolant puke tank at the proper level in the past and check it often, this time it was down...
  11. ExPlat

WOT - stopped accelerating after 2nd gear

I know, this is reviving a really old Thread but I still have this 2016 Platinum and noticed some new information here that might apply to this problem. Some recent posts on this Forum state that a transmission might 'stall' between shifts under hard acceleration (WOT, wide open throttle)...
  12. ExPlat

Automatic Transmission Takes Longer and longer to shift/gear up

Have you ever had the transmission fluid changed?
  13. ExPlat

The extended, extended Ford ESP coverage on my 2016 Platinum (51k miles) ends next August. I've owned this car for over 8 years and had many, many warranty repairs, but this water pump problem hasn't popped up yet. These vehicles have so many great features, it's the perfect size for our...
  14. ExPlat

2016 Ford Explorer Sport Code P0174

I concur, when my PTU failed the heavy propane smell inside the car was quite unmistakable. If your Explorer is still driveable, park it until you can get the PTU looked at. I had to have mine put on a flatbed tow truck. The Code p0174 is about the evaporative emissions purge valve and could...
  15. ExPlat

Service Recommendations - 2017 Sport (60k miles)

This is good advice, there are some recalls that are safety related, your Dealer should have told you about them. This Explorer Forum website also has a helpful section for Recalls and other items of interest, here -> List of Useful Threads - 5th Gen TSB's, Recalls, Remote Start, How To Info...
  16. ExPlat

Service Recommendations - 2017 Sport (60k miles)

Background: I have a 2016 Platinum since new-ish (bought with 5k miles) with 50k miles on it now, it was built in April, 2015 so it's 8 years old. It's been babied and maintained but has had a lot of warranty repair work done up to about 30k, then the last 20k miles it's been reliable so I've...
  17. ExPlat

Knock sensor location on 2016 ecoboost V6

Thanks for that video, good info! I just went out and looked at my wires and sure enough it was chafing, there was a tiny bare spot on the manifold as shown in the video. I wrapped the wire with tape and will keep an eye on that little problem area from time to time.
  18. ExPlat

Common for front brake pads to go well over 100K miles? I think my dealer lied to me

My 2016 ExPlat had 6k miles on it when I had the Dealer put HD pads and surface the rotors on the front, it was vibrating and shaking on a hard stop. They told me it had 'standard' pads from the factory and recommended the HD pads. The rear pads are still the originals. The car now has 50k...
  19. ExPlat

TRANSMISSION FLUID DRAIN & REFILL - AMOUNT OF REPLACEMENT FLUID NEEDED?

It's been my experience (and I'm old enough to know) that Ford Dealers don't all have the same attitude, abilities and equipment. Lately, a new Ford dealership was built near me that also sells Shelby, Roush and Tuscany built vehicles and they have some extraordinary service advisors, equipment...
  20. ExPlat

My Platinum has the 3.5l twin turbo, not the NA motor.
  21. ExPlat

Last week I had the Dealer do a "Complete Power Fluid Exchange" and the invoice shows 11 quarts and a Transmission Kit were used. The 6F55 Trans holds 11.6 quarts so it looks like all of the old fluid was removed/replaced. This is the second time I've had this done in 50k miles. (Dealer also...
  22. ExPlat

Inboard armrests in the 2nd-row bucket seats

Back when I purchased my ExPlat it came with the 2nd row bucket seats. I decided to add the optional 2nd row 'console' from Ford Parts, there were many variations available back in 2016, even a 'refrigerated' 2nd row console! The Ford Flex and Explorer shared this interior part. I found the...
  23. ExPlat

door weather strip

I'm reviving an old Post because I just did this repair. Both doors edge weatherstip on my 2016 ExPlat were torn so I replaced them with Ford parts, the price is still expensive at $30+ each, shipped. Using a body tool the tabs just pry/pop out, the new strip has new tabs that simply push...
  24. ExPlat

Info on Damaged Windshield Seal Strip?

My 2016 Platinum does not have a special trim 'molding' or 'strip' across the top of the windshield. Take a look at my pictures of the upper passenger side, the windshield is held in place with the black rubber-like windshield surround molding and sealant only. If you had "a piece of rubber...
  25. ExPlat

Anyone have full PremiumCARE coverage?

I have PremiumCARE and looked at the list on my Contract. I didn't see 'heated steering wheel' specifically called out, even in the Electrical or High Tech areas. There IS one mention of coverage for "manually operated electrical switches" and another for "heater control assembly". PremiumCARE...
Back