Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Balancer Stuck

Update, impact gun cut thru the corrosion and the old is off. But now the installer bolt is too short and the threads will not catch the crank, any ideas on what kit to rent now to do the install? Thanks, Tom
  2. P

Balancer Stuck

I am trying to replace a balancer that the crank pulley spun on my '05 Explorer. I used a rented puller from Advanced Auto but the balancer will not come completely off. The puller is not bottoming out, any ideas? I need to get this truck back on the road. Thank you, Tom
  3. P

Adding power seats to 2002 Explorer?

Did you ever do this? Tom
  4. P

3rd Gen Off Road Light Pictures Wanted!!!!

macknos94, what do you want for the safari bar, and does it come with lights? Even if a sell doesn't work out, I'm local and would like to take a look at your rig. Thanks, Tom
  5. P

Headlight question

I think what you are finding is that some kits people get have the harness wires reversed. My kit I bought was a true plug and play, but YMMV with your kit. Tom
  6. P

Door bounces open in cold weather

Have you tried to grease/lube the latch in the past? The PO of my '02 must have used about 5lbs of grease on the drivers door alone. My '02 did the same thing until a liberally sprayed it with an eletrical contact cleaner followed with regular applications of WD40 every couple of months...
  7. P

roof lights and safari bar

I say leave the lights. On a side note, that had to be your truck the other day. Do you work somewhere in Mechanicsburg? Tom
  8. P

05 Explorer Radiator/Front Brakes

You really need to pull the fan to get the radiator out. You can move the trans cooler out of the way, have done it a few times now, so you don't need to disconnect it. Other then that, the explorer radiator has got to be the easiest one i have R&R in a newer car. For example, the whole...
  9. P

Is Cash for Clunkers going to damage used parts supply?

FYI, I know it is a minor detail but my 2002, 3rd Gen Exploder is on the list. Tom
  10. P

what a BAG?

Sound insulating pad. I'm going to guess you have an earlier 3rd gen because most later ones do not have one. Tom
  11. P

How to spend $200

What are soft 8's?
  12. P

drilled and slotted rotors - 02 exp/xlt

Thanks! I need to buy new brakes.
  13. P

drilled and slotted rotors - 02 exp/xlt

Bad link, can you update it? Tom
  14. P

A/C cutting out under load at highway speeds

My bet is a vacuum leak. Check the check valve on the passenger side where the vacuum lines come out of the firewall. When you go up hill you have less vacuum, when you get to the top you coast more and create more vacuum. To test it out, take notice the next time if the air gets diverted...
  15. P

Hard to get key into ignition.

This is from another post of mine about this, to give a little more info and a quick temp fix just in case you get stuck like I did. I ended up redoing the second fix because it got old the truck not starting because the key moved too far from the PATS ring. My other post: There is a...
  16. P

PM me an e-mail address and I will send it your way. Tom
  17. P

Mr Fozzy, I'll make a PDF out of the repair manual and send it to you this evening. Tom
  18. P

If you need instructions to remove the cylinder let me know. Tom
  19. P

Cylinder replacement is a piece of cake. I used these guys e-bay link to purchase a new cylinder. I sent them a copy of my key and they keyed the new cylinder to match my existing keys. This was by far the cheapest option I found. Total turn around was about a week because I sent my key...
  20. P

Periodic Squeek coming from engine compartment

Interesting, I have gatorback belts on both of my Explorers and now that I think about it I have had the AC chirp since the change, guess I will try an OEM belt next time. btmcbride, any update? Tom
  21. P

Periodic Squeek coming from engine compartment

Turn your AC off and select anything other then desfrost and see if the noise goes away. The AC compressor makes a squeek when it kicks on and off in my '05 and my wife's '02 exploders. Just a thought. Tom
  22. P

Totaled the EX today (Pics)

I'm glad you hear you are both OK, and let me be the first to say, "That'll buff right out!" :) But seriously, what are you going to be test driving for a replacement? And what did you do to your headlights to make them look blacked out like that? Thanks Tom
  23. P

OEM battery finally went kaput!

'02 XLT built early '01, ran strong until this past fall. The wife stated the truck, drove 0.5 mile to daycare, turned the truck and that was it. Truck would not start and battery did not take a charge. I think 7.5 years was pretty good. Tom
  24. P

Radiator replacement cost

The replies got me wondering. I just called the local dealerships he would have. Estimates were ~$400, ~$450, ~$600, and ~$850. The $850 stated it included the radiator, fluid, and new clamps, I didn't ask the others if that was the case. I'm starting to think my neighbor may have been...
  25. P

shocks or struts???

If you have third gen, you have struts all the way around. Take a look under the rear, if you have leaf springs, you have shocks, if don't have leaf springs, you have struts. Tom
Back